Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GREAT BALLS OF FIRE!

whitefang

The "Killer" turns 81 today!

Somehow( and for some reason) I thought he was older than that. But I understand that he still kicks it out now and then. I hope so anyway. He's another pioneer and gave us all a lot of fun times over those years, and I hope he has a happy!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Although NOT a rocker, today(9/30) JOHNNY MATHIS turns 81 too.

Admit it. Whensome of us were kids, we LIKED some of his tunes, like "Wonderful, Wonderful", "Chances Are", "It's Not For Me To Say". Personally, as a kid, I really liked his "Small World". And pretend all you want otherwise, many of us had our introduction to the jazz standard "Misty" through Johnny's version. ;)

Whitefang

Happy birthday Jerry Lee!

and Johnny too-with a side note, that `Chances Are` is often included on those era-specific compilations, which are invariably titled `Songs that are actually pretty good, but you`ve heard so many times that you want to bury everyone involved with them in concrete`.

Was it not Johnny`s version of `Misty` that was featured in the classic Clint Eastwood film `Play Misty For Me`? I thnk I was one of those people who was only vaguely familiar with it until I saw that film.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Happy Birthday Johnny Mathis as well.

I was there back in the Juke Box days at Scully's arcade in Ship Bottom NJ in my early teen years, listening to the Johnny Mathis hits, and loving every one of them, along with Elvis, Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, Little Richard. and a host of other 50's greats...

Although NOT a rocker, today(9/30) JOHNNY MATHIS turns 81 too.

Admit it. Whensome of us were kids, we LIKED some of his tunes, like "Wonderful, Wonderful", "Chances Are", "It's Not For Me To Say". Personally, as a kid, I really liked his "Small World". And pretend all you want otherwise, many of us had our introduction to the jazz standard "Misty" through Johnny's version. ;)

Whitefang

+1 I really liked and still like listening to Johnny Mathis. He is a classic that I put in my Pop genre list of major stars! My only music teacher that I played with for about 3 months who really loved the old jazz and pop standards taught me how to play Misty as one of the tunes...I can still sing it, but I leave it off of my set list as it is just a little too special! HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHNNY! :like:

Take care, Larryz

Belated Happy Birthday! Jerry Lee Lewis!

Gustavo Woltmann is happy to have icons like you!

Yeah, welcome aBOARD!

You, and the FIRST two! ;)

Whitefang

@ Fang, Do you know what this is leading up to? I think you should just start a thread titled HAPPY BIRTHDAY! and keep this going. You are the official GP forum birthday historian and could start and the thread with new birthday posts, just about every day...Members could add to it if you leave someone out, and/or comment. We could try to keep it on track with just the birthday boy and/or girl as the main vibe. Give it some thought as I know you would do a great job! :thu:
Take care, Larryz

:blush:

Though my not mentioning CHUBBY CHECKER turned 75 today really doesn't bode well, does it?

But I get my info from the daily Free Press horoscope column that also prints a short list of "celebrity birthdays" each day(if there ARE any). Since they cut down home delivery to only Thursday, Friday and Sunday, I have to ely on their eEdition, which has a wonky site sometimes, and this morning it was not working well, so that's my only defense.

But didn't many of us as kids, feel so "cool" 'cause we could do the TWIST?(like, who COULDN'T?) And Chubby made it famous, in spite of Detroiter Hank Ballard(cousin of Florence Ballard, an original Supreme) coming up with the tune first.

Thought HE was older too.

Whitefang

I'll keep it going by mentioning that one of this forums favorites, STEVE MILLER is 73 today!

He's been around longer than many I know were aware, them not being too familiar with him until THE JOKER, his 8th LP. And I too, wasn't aware that it was only him and Paul McCartney who did ALL the work on "My Dark Hour" until a few years ago. A "duet" with McCarntey WAS quite a coup for a relatively unknown at the time. I sadly lost track of my copy of "Children Of The Future" LP long ago. Another of those albums I bought because I thought the COVER was cool and wound up being one of my favorites. SPIRIT'S debut LP being one too.

Happy birthday Steve. May you ALWAYS get as good as you GAVE.

Whitefang

Steve Miller is a really deceptive player. On the surface stuff a lot of his stuff .... like the intro to Rocking Me Baby sounds really easy strumming. But when you try to cover it you realize these aint simple strum patterns. He has stuff like banjo style hammer-ons etc... happening in the middle of this stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yeah, DBM, I also didn't know that until a few years ago either. I knew of Boz as a solo act LONG before his "Lowdown" hit in the '70's, when many I know first heard of him.

He and Steve were old school chums as I understand.

And others I also know didn't even know who MILLER was until "Fly Like An Eagle". What a wonderful career HE'S had!

Whitefang

@ Sharkman, We'll just have to wait until Jan 8th to wish Elvis a happy birthday LOL! I like the way Caevan reminds of us Django's every year...also born in January but back in 1910! May be a Capricorn thing! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

That's interesting, and maybe calls for more research than I can take time with, but.....

Which astrological sign were the MOST of the more highly noted musicians born under? Like, were there more Capricorns, Geminis, Scorpios or what?

I don't put much stock in astrology, but it's still interesting regardless.

Whitefang

OK....

JOHNNY COUGAR; JOHN COUGAR MELLENCAMP; JOHN MELLENCAMP is 65 today.

Never too big on him, he did provide however, one of my favorite lines in a song...from "Jack And Diane"----

"Life goes on; Long after the thrill of living is gone."

How true.

Whitefang

To continue---

Today, JACKSON BROWNE turns 68. The SOB probably STILL looks like he's 30. Last time I saw him on TV somewhere, he did.

And also...SEAN LENNON is 41 today. AND it's also dad JOHN'S birthday too! I think it's kinda cool when a parent and child have the same birthdate.

Remember when Browne was the hottest thing on toast in the mid to late '70's? I remember cranking my radio up whenever "Doctor My Eyes" came on back in early '72. Later that year, when The Eagles hit the scene and I saw them opening for The Mahavishnu Orchestra, they announced a song they were going to do by saying, "Here's a song written by an old drinkin' buddy of ours, Jackson Browne." Can't recall the song now, but I remember being IMPRESSED with that! ;)

Whitefang

The Song was Take It Easy...

:o

You were THERE? :D

Actually, they OPENED with "Take It Easy". The song I'm talkin' about came later. :cool: Was probably "Nightingale".

Whitefang

Nope, I wasn't there and since Jackson Browne worked with Glen on writing Take It Easy as "an old drinking buddy", that would have been my guess. Jackson also wrote Nightingale, so I'll take your word for which one they announced that way... :cool:

ps. I sure wish I could have been there! The Eagles are one of my favorites... :cry:

Take care, Larryz

Archived