Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Advice on source for PDF music

I-missRichardTee

I am not classically trained, but need to expand my versatility to yet another style ( quite foreign to me technically but not musically or emotionally- as I love all great music of any era or country )

namely a gig that requires me to at least take a stab at classical piano accompaniment of old Italian songs

Core n Grato Torna a Sorrento , Con te Partiro etc

Maybe 10 songs.. a big challenge for me

I saw on net sites that sell PDF's of sheet music

1 I need to be sure that the genre of operatic music is there in full, wherever I finally go to. All Italian operatic favorites.

2 I am not dealing with a rip off fly by night

3 Works well with ios device

4 I cannot afford the 12 inch iPad, and have a previous iPad

I am hoping the pedal operating mechanism for page turning is reliable!

Appreciate any suggestions, esp if you have experience with these PDF companies

Thanks

You don't have ideas, ideas have you

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, there are more than a few sheet music reader apps on iOS, one developed by a forum member - I use forScore. It's developed into a little swiss army knife of a sheet music reader, that's for sure.

http://forscore.co

forScore supports several pedals but the Airturn BT-106 seems to be the most common.

When I was in school, the classical voice students were all required to own a copy of Schirmer's 24 Italian Songs and Arias of the 17th and 18th Century. But as a pianist you needed a copy in the right keys depending on your transposition skills and the voice type you were accompanying. Amazon sells this book in the various voice ranges for about $6.50.

https://www.amazon.com/Twenty-Four-Italian-Seventeenth-Eighteenth-Centuries/dp/0793510066

It would take you all of about 20mins to convert this to PDF with the camera on your phone and an app like Scanbot.

https://scanbot.io/en/index.html

Or, sometimes you get lucky with a google search. Here's the medium-high book already in PDF.

Schirmer's Italian... .PDF

This music is very old, you can sometimes find it for free at:

http://www.aria-database.com

If you can't find it there, you can order from:

http://www.classicalvocalrep.com

Me personally, I hate reading actual piano sheet music off a regular size iPad or smaller. Lead sheets, sure, no problem. But it's a little small for my eyes when reading a full score. I can't afford the 12" models either at the moment. Maybe next tax return season. ;)

coincidentally - my wife is a mezzo-soprano. hence, I know this shit or I ask her. ;)

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Thank you for that.. Elmer

I am a bit overwhelmed with this latest idea. Classical piano is not something one slips into without much time and effort. I have been getting away with skipping bandleaders more operatic stuff. Taking a step or two backwards..

If I just want to go to a trusted site for a single Italian operatic style - PDF - could you suggest such a company?

:)

We see the world, not as it is, but as we are. "One mans food is another mans poison". I defend your right to speak hate. Tolerance to a point, not agreement

When I purchase a hard-copy music score, I own it and have access to it forever. I've had concerns about buying sheet music online because the companies I looked at don't give you an unfettered digital file. Guess they're concerned about unfettered ability to copy. I've mostly avoided the commercial establishments because of this.

For any classical music of early 20th Century vintage or older, go to imslp. If it's public domain, they have it. They even have stuff that's only public domain in some countries. You will be advised appropriately per score.

Not sure if they have the classic collection of Italian songs or mixed collections of opera arias - you'll have to look. It's my go-to for things like the complete Chopin Etudes or Whichever Beethoven sonata I want to work on. The advantage of this, besides the cost, is that you have the freedom to use whichever music reader you prefer.

One other thing to be aware of, women don't sing men's arias (except for a few roles written for castrati) and men don't sing women's arias. This vocal music comes in high (soprano, tenor), medium (alto, baritone), and low books. It's pre transposed for,the voice type. Of course,nice they have it,NYU can grab the same collection in different voices for free on imslp.

I agree. I prefer to own the hardcopies and scan them into pdf, unless I can get a pdf file directly.

Good for classical arrangement ideas:

Piano Transcriptions from French and Italian Operas (I have this one)

A1UGJ%2Bjq2JL.jpg

Here's another (from Hal Leonard):

51MyU1PWj%2BL.jpg

Guys -

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, genre-wise.

The OP mentioned 3 songs, 2 of which are Neapolitan songs written in the early 1900's, and the other (Con Te Partiro), a pop song with "classical-crossover" overtones written in 1995. None of these pieces are drawn from the operatic repertoire, and are hardly from centuries ago!

Of course, these songs have been recorded and performed endlessly by opera singers, including some of the biggest names in the business, from Caruso to Pavarotti. Known to the general public, they are beloved melodies.

Depending on the gig, whether it be playing solo piano in an Italian restaurant, or performing with a singer in a variety of situations, the above songs could be successfully mixed with Italian opera arias, other Italian pop and folk songs, and Sinatra/Dean Martin/Jerry Vale/Al Martino classics for a program of Italian-themed music. Together, these styles form a general "Italian canon," but of course, each sub-genre is a world unto itself. There are a plethora of song choices in all categories, and many songbooks available containing the separate genres, or a mix thereof.

If the OP would like to focus on the style of songs he mentioned, other well-known Neapolitan songs are O Sole Mio, Santa Lucia, and Funiculi, Funicula. There's an excellent article on the genre on Wikipedia.

Arrivederci!

Aha the wrong tree! I happen to know O Sole Mio, Santa Lucia, Sorrento and Funiculi, Funiincula

well sort of. In other words, I just play them in my own untutored non classical way.

I am insecure though about playing a song that is strongly associated with the "classical piano" approach.

So I had thought I would get one song ( sheet music ) and hopefully

approximate a classical style behind the singer!

My fingering and touch would likely be incorrect but I am hoping I can do a half decent job at this.

To survive in this business- I have relied on versatility as a means of remaining in the game of music.

Interestingly I am simultaneously looking into 80's pop music while considering playing this semi classical music.

I guess it keeps one young.

Guys -

I think you're barking up the wrong tree, genre-wise.

The OP mentioned 3 songs, 2 of which are Neapolitan songs written in the early 1900's, and the other (Con Te Partiro), a pop song with "classical-crossover" overtones written in 1995. None of these pieces are drawn from the operatic repertoire, and are hardly from centuries ago!

Of course, these songs have been recorded and performed endlessly by opera singers, including some of the biggest names in the business, from Caruso to Pavarotti. Known to the general public, they are beloved melodies.

Depending on the gig, whether it be playing solo piano in an Italian restaurant, or performing with a singer in a variety of situations, the above songs could be successfully mixed with Italian opera arias, other Italian pop and folk songs, and Sinatra/Dean Martin/Jerry Vale/Al Martino classics for a program of Italian-themed music. Together, these styles form a general "Italian canon," but of course, each sub-genre is a world unto itself. There are a plethora of song choices in all categories, and many songbooks available containing the separate genres, or a mix thereof.

If the OP would like to focus on the style of songs he mentioned, other well-known Neapolitan songs are O Sole Mio, Santa Lucia, and Funiculi, Funicula. There's an excellent article on the genre on Wikipedia.

Arrivederci!

impressive knowledge. there is no place like KC!
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

I just typed "Torna a Sorrento" into Google, which auto-filled "Torna a Sorrento pdf" as a search suggestion. I chose it, and then narrowed the search to "images." Many options there. Personally, I'd compile your own reliable pdf's found via this type of search (song title, some indicator like "chart" or "pdf", narrowed by "Images") into any pdf-compiling program (Preview on Mac, irealpro right on your ipad), and viola. FWIW, I use a standard-size ipad (which I acknowledge is getting too small as I get older), oriented sideways, with chart oriented vertically, so I can see everything as large as possible. Firefly page-turner, when I need one, though regular pdf set up to scroll is easy enough to deal with even without one.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

I just typed "Torna a Sorrento" into Google, which auto-filled "Torna a Sorrento pdf" as a search suggestion. I chose it, and then narrowed the search to "images." Many options there. Personally, I'd compile your own reliable pdf's found via this type of search (song title, some indicator like "chart" or "pdf", narrowed by "Images") into any pdf-compiling program (Preview on Mac, irealpro right on your ipad), and viola. FWIW, I use a standard-size ipad (which I acknowledge is getting too small as I get older), oriented sideways, with chart oriented vertically, so I can see everything as large as possible. Firefly page-turner, when I need one, though regular pdf set up to scroll is easy enough to deal with even without one.

Yes, thank you, I started to do what you suggested - searching for PDF

my problem was WHICH one to choose from.

My lack of experience with PC's esp windows... a lot of the PDF sites had a "PC look to them"... does that phrase make any sense?

I perhaps ignorantly associate PC with vulnerability to virus's and scams and so on.

So the second I see anything that has that "look", I, in my ignorance, get nervous about clicking "Download" ..

If you can skip the mocking, or minimize it, so maybe one of you know what I mean about "a PC look", versus an Apple look!

I am not interested in arguing about anything, least of all Mac versus Windows.. ok.

But my original question stands... how do I know a trusted vendor?

And this... is a free PDF offer, a safe bet?

Got it. A pdf is exactly the same on every computer, regardless of OS or platform. It's the reason the format was developed: Portable Document Format allows people to export files from whatever program they are working in, into a portable, consistent "snapshot" of that file in its completed stage. It's a bit like a glorified image file.

So the good news is, anything "PC-looking" isn't related to the pdf itself. One is like the next. The only real question for you is going to be the accuracy and workability of the particular version of the songs you want.

If you're wondering if the download is itself inviting viruses, a simple solution would be to download and install a free anti-virus program (e.g., Avast!). You should really have one anyway, since anything anyone sends you can include a virus they don't even know about...which also goes for downloads from any "trusted" source someone here might recommend. So personally, I'd get an anti-virus program either way.

Then I'd look for the best pdf of the songs you want, rather than a less-than-best-one from a particular site that you get just because of the site. I'd narrow the search not only by image, but by size, choosing "large" to ensure the samples are full-size and large enough to read clearly.

I find a lot of charts this way. If you're really into subverting the system, you can get the whole Fake Book this way if you choose.

www.joshweinstein.com

If I understood the OP correctly, you are doing this for a particular gig (or artist), right? I can understand that you'd like to prepare and practice the style, but when it comes to being "reliable" scores, wouldn't you get the charts/arrangements to play before the gig?

I usually just listens to some of the most common performances and tries to find a PDF online that approximates what I hear - most old stuff is public domain and others I buy.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

I do not wish to install virus protection

Since the past decade or more, I have on occasion asked about viruses and Mac's

the answer I get, is it is not needed.

But aside from that discussion- all I am asking is for a reliable vendor who deals in this likely public domain music.

The large number of companies that sell or even give away PDF's is disconcerting for me. These "creepy" sites always give me the feeling there is more involved than "what meets the eye". Like a used car salesman.

In my limited experience getting PDF books, I do one of two things

1. Go to Kindle or Amazon and buy the book.

2. Find these sites that "feel safe" ( no strings attached ) to me, where they give these older books for free- end of story.

So I was expecting the same 2 choices for sheet music.

Here is an example of no strings.. you receive what you are seeking, and nothing more, download.

a great, and free book from the Seventies

https://monoskop.org/File:Schumacher_EF_A_Guide_for_the_Perplexed.pdf

and my favored basic harmony book.. for free, no bs, just the book.

which I have purchased numerous times, ranging from 19 to 50 dollars.

https://monoskop.org/images/8/84/Schoenberg_Arnold_Theory_of_Harmony_1983.pdf

I'm getting a little confused, and may have been thrown off by the "looks PCish" concern, since I thought you were primarily asking about viruses. But if you're saying that you are confident that you do not need to worry about viruses anyway, then surely you could feel comfortable downloading anything you want, from anywhere. Correct?

OT, but while common wisdom has been that Macs were a small enough portion of the market that viruses were not much of a concern, that has changed in recent years as more and more people use Mac either as a laptop or (mostly) mobile device/tablet. Personally, I (Mac user) wouldn't download ANYTHING without my virus/malware protection, and it has saved my ass a few times when links were sending me to malicious sites. But again--if you're confident that you don't need virus protection, then you can also be confident that you can download charts from anywhere you might find them.

Back to your question: I think that you are asking for a 1) single, free, reliable site that will 2) have a particular selection of songs that match your personal needs, 3) in easily readable format, and maybe or maybe not also 4) ostensibly virus-free.

Not to beat the horse, but personally, I would call that site "Google Image Search," since that's how I find most of my charts if I don't have them already. I'm not sure if others know of the exact right site--it sounds like it's worth it to you to wait and find out. Though given that the thread has been up for a couple of days, it's not impossible that you're asking for something that might not exist. However, if someone does come across, I'll certainly be interested to find out the answer as well.

(Then I'll probably go back to using Google Images.) :)

www.joshweinstein.com

Archived