Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small table-top analog mono-synth with ...

Tusker

... independent CV control OR preferably midi control of oscillator volume and (ideally) pitch. It would have overall midi control for pitch and gate. Preferably it would have two oscillators. Preferably with state variable filter as opposed to lowpass.

I'd like to to augment the oscillators in a Slim Phatty with a couple of oscillators and perhaps a filter I can control precisely with a combination of midi cc and cv pedals. (The Dark Energy is discontinued and only single oscillator. Boomstars don't have the independant CV ins for the oscillators. DSI mopho not my to my sonic taste but if all else fails .... A lunchbox modular would be too big/complicated for this application.) Have you seen anything like this? Thanks for any suggestions ...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom Oberheim SEM Pro:

http://smhttp.39666.nexcesscdn.net/801433B/vking/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/454x339/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/b/oberheim_sem_pro.jpg

Also the non-midi version may work for you if you have another midi to CV converter. I use one of these with my Voyager - pretty much for the same purpose.

Did someone say lunchbox modular? Are peanut butter sandwiches included? :laugh:

http://www.musicfromouterspace.com/analogsynth_new/THE_CAVE/Your%20First%20Synth/Your%20First%20Synth_files/alexmercklunchsynth.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

How do you control individual oscillator volume/pitch on the SEM Pro?

The patch panel version has individual OSC CV ins and one for the VCA as well among many others. looks like the pro version has these as well. For volume control you would set the VCA to external (which disconnects Env 1) and use a cv pedal or an external envelope/control of choice.

Another thing that you may want to be aware of: Osc 1 CV input is normaled to OSC2 via a jumper. So you only need one pitch CV to control both oscillators. You can change this jumper setting to make them independent (easy to do). I cant remember if I went in and changed this or it was shipped in the normaled configuration.

Edit: Knew there was 1 more. Many keyboards combine the key note pitch voltage and the pitch bend voltage into 1 CV. Not the Voyager however (and maybe not your Slim-Phatty). Not sure if you were planning on using this as your controller or not. The voyage does provide separate pitch bend CV through a Moog VX-351 interface where you can then play games and add the keyboard pitch to the pitch bend. I mainly use another device that mitigates this whole issue but again, didn't want you caught by surprise.

How do you control individual oscillator volume/pitch on the SEM Pro?

The patch panel version has individual OSC CV ins and one for the VCA as well among many others. looks like the pro version has these as well. For volume control you would set the VCA to external (which disconnects Env 1) and use a cv pedal or an external envelope/control of choice.

:thu: Perfect. Will look into it. Also looking at a Pulse 2 ....

Edit: Knew there was 1 more. Many keyboards combine the key note pitch voltage and the pitch bend voltage into 1 CV. Not the Voyager however (and maybe not your Slim-Phatty). Not sure if you were planning on using this as your controller or not. The voyage does provide separate pitch bend CV through a Moog VX-351 interface where you can then play games and add the keyboard pitch to the pitch bend. I mainly use another device that mitigates this whole issue but again, didn't want you caught by surprise.

I appreciate this info.

Yes, I am expecting to control pitch primarily through Midi (keyboard plus pitchbend) and adding other pitch information via CV/MIDI, on top of that (for oscillator FM and detuning, primarily) Leaning toward the Pulse 2 due to it's having three independent oscillator VCA's into the pre-filter mix which can be addressed through MIDI or CV. It would allow the Moog oscillators to be primary oscillators, cross-fading in the Waldorf oscillators as "character" oscillators.

Unfortunately, the filter is not of the same quality as the SEM. Very few filters are. Trade-offs. :D Will investigate. Thanks very much Mark. :thu:

If I wasn't full up with mono (cough) I would definitely consider this one. It looks extremely comprehensive with a lot of unique sound creation possibilities and would bring something really different to the Sub-Phatty sound. Plus it looks like a boat load of fun.

TBH the Pulse 2 while packed with functionality doesn't do it for me. I'm not into matrix type interfaces; imo they take the immediacy and fun factor out of the analog experience. YMMV and of course cost is a factor as well.

Thanks Mark. Very good points. :thu:

I am happy with the Moog sound, so with this monosynth I am looking for two more oscillators to run through the Moog in a live context. Currently, I am running an S90ES into the Pitch CV and Audio in of the Moog. I am very happy with the former (for FM, noise, etc) but have mixed results with the latter. So I am primarily looking for two more analog oscillators with independent midi control of volume, so as to control the mix of frequencies which go into the Moog's filter.

As it is, due to potential differences in portamento settings, it will be a bit of trial and error to make the whole thing work as a cohesive voice. :idk

Currently, I am running an S90ES into the Pitch CV and Audio in of the Moog.

I'm curious - are you taking an audio output from the S90ES and running it into the Sub Phatty Pitch CV input? Or do you have some midi to CV converter in between the S90ES and the SP? :idk

Hi Mark, Yes, it's audio ... direct from S90ES audio output to Phatty CV input. No problems in three years. It's the equivalent of up to four modulation busses which can carry control signals ranging from medium LFO to audio rates, with envelopes and LFOS available for each of the four modulation signals. :D

Discussion here where we talked it through. This forum is the greatest. :thu:

Oh man, just skimmed through that thread and I'm bummed I totally missed the geek-fest :D . TBH that was the last thing I wanted to do back then when I came home from work. Well maybe not quite the last :facepalm::hitt:.

Anyway that is so cool and very ingenious exploiting what you already had, making the most of it. It's amazing how much functionality opens up when you start exploring these CV inputs that I've pretty much ignored... up 'til now.

Nice one Jerry :2thu:

Really beautiful Carlo. Thank you. :2thu:

It needs to find it's way to this excellent thread. For me, unlike the xenophone ... due to size/price and (presumably) the lack of digital control, it's not giggable.

At this point, it's xenohone and pulse 2 for me ... will do some more research. Thanks everyone.

Anyway that is so cool and very ingenious exploiting what you already had, making the most of it. It's amazing how much functionality opens up when you start exploring these CV inputs that I've pretty much ignored... up 'til now.

Nice one Jerry :2thu:

Thanks Mark. I am basically lazy. :D I don't want to haul stuff to a performance unless I need it. Ideally I can tear down and get off a stage slightly after the bassist and the horn players, and long before the drummer. For this reason, even my Moog Delay often stays at home. It's range-of-expression/space ratio is too low for my performance context currently. Building a modulation matrix out of a rompler I am going to haul anyway is space efficient. A second synth (as an additional part of a single analog voice) had better be space efficient also. Fingers crossed. :cool:

Archived