Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good web hosting companies? (Fall 2016)

RABid

I year or so ago I decided to move away from Godaddy. I had used Host Gator in the past with no issues and went back to them. That was a mistake. Seems that Host Gator and many other hosting companies have been bought out by the same company. They now follow the XM model, easy to sign up for, impossible to cancel.

Anyway, are there any good hosting companies left that are easy to deal with? I'd rather deal with GoDaddy than put up with companies that make you call and listen to a 15 sales pitch before canceling your domain.

Oh, I'm using Word Press and the Studio Press package of themes.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used Lunarpages for years. Been very happy with them. Can't speak to their cancellation policies, as I haven't cancelled, but that's because I have no issue with their services otr price.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I've been registering domain names at Namecheap for a long time. They've had hosting for a few years now as well. When my old host was closing down, I decided to give Namecheap hosting a shot. Everything went well, and IIRC they took care of transferring all my stuff (cPanel to cPanel). I haven't had any experience cancelling but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have used bluehost for years. First using Joomla (which was a bit too much like work for me :) ) and now simply with WordPress + plugins. I've had zero problems with them but I don't do anything fancy.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Don't use Lunarpages, we have been on them forever and they are in the spam/blocked lists. We are constantly being blacklisted on email - so there are many places we cannot email.

I had HostGator for years as well. They were good until they were bought out.

I like Namecheap for domains - I just can't figure out how to move all of my domains over to them.

I really dislike GoDaddy. They have 3 credit cards on file for me. One went expired yet they let one of my domains go. It was almost like extortion to get it back.

For personal use, the absolute best place (until they sell or?????) has been stable host.

This is how good they are.... I forget their name all the time because I hardly ever have a problem. That is saying a lot.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

If you have a union card, you should look into AFM Go Pro hosting.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I used BlueHost years ago but things went downhill after EIG bought them. I should have checked to make sure HostGator was still independent before starting a site on it. Seems that EIG bought them 4 years ago. EIG has bought a large number of hosting companies but tries to keep the list private. That way, if you have a problem with one of their companies and decide to change hosts, chances are you will pick another of their companies without knowing it.

There was a big controversy a few years ago about Wikipedia mods removing the list of EIG subsidiaries from the WIKI and not allowing anyone to post the list of hosting companies owned by EIG. That alone is enough to keep me away from their services.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I used BlueHost years ago but things went downhill after EIG bought them. I should have checked to make sure HostGator was still independent before starting a site on it. Seems that EIG bought them 4 years ago. EIG has bought a large number of hosting companies but tries to keep the list private. That way, if you have a problem with one of their companies and decide to change hosts, chances are you will pick another of their companies without knowing it.

There was a big controversy a few years ago about Wikipedia mods removing the list of EIG subsidiaries from the WIKI and not allowing anyone to post the list of hosting companies owned by EIG. That alone is enough to keep me away from their services.

Good to know...as I said I don't do anything fancy so I wouldn't change based on this. But if I was starting over, I would be wary for precisely the reasons you give.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I recently left Westhost after many years of problems, including having my site getting hacked. Westhost actually blamed ME for their lack of security measures and left me to clean up the mess. The move to Lunarpages was painful, as I expected - they didn't do much to make it easy.

I have the same email issue as Aaron, in that my email gets blocked as Lunarpages are blacklisted. They blame other users on the same shared hosting server, and leave it there.

Let me know if you find someone good, even if it's more expensive...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

I have been on futurehosting and stablehost for years now. These two are the best I have found period. Futurehosting has managed options that are great.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Geocities really became horrible in that EVERY Geocities page you visited resulted in a pervasive popup ad and it drove away surfers. It is pretty much a ghost town now.

Angelfire and Tripod are just as bad.

Dood, the subject line said "2016," not "1996."

:poke:;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I use bluehost now with wordpress and it's worked out well for me.

The only issue I've had is with email forwarding, it seems to take a few hours sometimes to get an email through to my gmail account. That's a pretty minor thing though.

Geocities really became horrible in that EVERY Geocities page you visited resulted in a pervasive popup ad and it drove away surfers. It is pretty much a ghost town now.

Angelfire and Tripod are just as bad.

Dood, the subject line said "2016," not "1996."

:poke:;)

Dood, I giving examples of hosts to avoid :poke:;)

Archived