Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who's Left?

Jazzmammal

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It also shows to power of the brand of a given band (the name). While everyone on this board knows who the various members are, most in the general public don't. Nor do they care. They want to sing along to songs they know and love. And they will pay for the privilege.....

Some of this is normal attrition. I mean in Terry Kath's case Chicago couldn't really do anything about that but they are at least consistent for the most part. They have a new singer Jeff Coffey as Jason Scheff is taking a break.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Bands like Yes are like the old doowop groups were a generation ago. Where there would be one Platter or one Drifter or one Del-Viking and a bunch of 30 year olds. Pretty soon it will be called "The Yes Show Band Review Featuring Steve Howe."

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

I just saw The Fabulous Thunderbirds on Saturday with our own kanker on keys. Percent original or classic lineup? Just Kim Wilson. Until the end of the Jimmie Vaughan era, they were always a four-piece, so it's just 25% of those lineups either way. Kim is now only 20% of the guys on stage, though I'm sure he owns 100% of the name. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Then there's the ancillary question of who "owns" the name in the other sense--like, who can you not imagine the group still being the group, without?

Fair or not, some part of me still thinks of Little Feat "as" Lowell George, and the legacy group as "some other undeniably great band that in this case just happens to have the same name, and probably shouldn't."

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

There are situations where the name is shared amongst the original players, but licensed by one member or members. The Beach Boys come to mind; as far as I know, Mike Love pays the estates of Dennis and Carl, and Al Jardine and Brian Wilson to tour with the name. In the case of Little Feat, I'd bet Lowell's family makes money when they're out on the road.

There are also situations like Foreigner where for the no-original-members version you pay one price, and if you want an original member (Mick Jones), you pay a another higher price. I think we'll see more of this situation as boomers age and key members die.

As far as Little Feat, that's a pretty tortured history. They often tell the story that the band broke up a few times before Lowell left the final time. The band evolved towards a democracy that Lowell wasn't too crazy about (he used to sit out Day at the Dog Races live) yet he believed in the other guys. Down on the Farm was in the can when he left the band and died and they finished it and released it after that.

I've seen clips of recent gigs where Billy couldn't be there and they didn't call it Little Feat.

IOW, I'm under the impression that perhaps no one owns the name, at least not in the George family.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Bands like Yes are like the old doowop groups were a generation ago. Where there would be one Platter or one Drifter or one Del-Viking and a bunch of 30 year olds. Pretty soon it will be called "The Yes Show Band Review Featuring Steve Howe."

That's a keen observation. And those groups are still touring. One of our singers tours with the 5th Dimension which has exactly one original member left.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

There are situations where the name is shared amongst the original players, but licensed by one member or members...

Yep. Back when I had my nightclub we had an opportunity to book the band Foghat, but heard through a reliable source (no Internet back in those days) that the only original member, as confirmed in the OP's link, was the drummer (who owned the legal rights to the name). We quickly passed, and subsequently booked "Lonesome Dave's Foghat" and had a great night.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived