Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Online YouTube Reviews

Synthoid

I've been watching quite a few keyboard reviews during the past year or so, but recently came across reviews for various smartphones--both Android and Apple. It's been interesting and amusing at times with all the drop and water tests. I've also seen demos of fascinating new apps.

However, I definitely raised an eyebrow when one reviewer said, "When I was looking through my collection of smartphones." Um, excuse me? Just how many do you have? And then I watched another video with a person commenting about "using both Apple and Android phones." It would be very expensive owning a vast collection of current smartphones plus having multiple plans. Are these people independently wealthy, or do manufacturers just give away dozens of phones to people who set up a YouTube account?

Do Korg, Yamaha, Roland and Kurzweil let reviewers keep their keyboards after they review them?

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If these guys are running successful YouTube channels reviewing phones then their work reviewing them could be financing their hobby purchases.

I wonder sometimes how Piano Man Chuck is able to get his hands on the latest digital pianos all the time on a gigging keyboard players income. His reviews are often really good and he shares a lot of info that people want to know. I'm guessing perhaps his income from YouTube is assisting his keyboard acquisitions or he's got a buddy who owns a dealership.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

It has to do with their YouTube success. It's a wheel. You have a phone, start doing reviews, tests, get views, get more phones. If you smash a new iPhone 7, but get 4 000 000 clicks on a single video, you've essentially quadrupled your investment.

The keyboard and smartphone markets are extremely different, and especially the profit margins in each. As we all know, keyboard companies rarely ever just "give away" products, and really don't just directly give discounts to people either. It's a lot harder to actually make money reviewing keyboards on YouTube because the market is so much smaller. Anyone who is actively doing this is doing it out-of-pocket as a hobby, and not to make an investment.

A guy like EverythingAppleProa smartphone reviewer who I find to be the most helpful and have extremely high quality contenthas videos where he'll have a mint iPhone from every generation just to show speed comparisons. But his return on investment is very clear, just by how many people are watching each videoespecially in weeks like this where a new phone is hot. Do 4-5 videos a day that each end up with over a couple of million views each, and there's your return on investment. Rule of thumb (based on SocialBlade.com) is simply divide views by 1000, and you have a good idea of what they make per video.

A guy like EverythingAppleProa smartphone reviewer who I find to be the most helpful and have extremely high quality contenthas videos where he'll have a mint iPhone from every generation just to show speed comparisons. But his return on investment is very clear, just by how many people are watching each videoespecially in weeks like this where a new phone is hot. Do 4-5 videos a day that each end up with over a couple of million views each, and there's your return on investment. Rule of thumb (based on SocialBlade.com) is simply divide views by 1000, and you have a good idea of what they make per video.

I'd like to understand more about how YouTube works. Obviously if you have an ad before your review, you will receive $$$$ for every click. But many of the videos I watched don't have ads... so where is the revenue coming from?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived