Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicator

I have a couple of arrangements that I created many years ago in an early version of the Musicator notation program on an old PC that I no longer have. I want to print out the arrangements, and I tried to download the latest version of the program from their website, but neither the download link nor the contact link appears to be working (it appears that the developer may no longer be active).

Musicator.net

Is there a way to convert Musicator .mct files into .mid or another format that I can print out in another program, or is there anyone who has a working Musicator program and would be willing to print out the files (preferably to PDF) for me?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Most likely they have an xml or some sort propriety file format - you'd need the application which surely had a midi export and print function. Alternatively, it's possible they used MIDI somewhere in the file format, but you'd need some techy help (a programmer really) to look inside the file and see if there's recognizable MIDI that could be extracted.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Go to www.whois.com and type in the website address. Then click on the WhoIs button and this will show the owner of the website and contact info. Maybe even though he is not actively supporting the musicator program, maybe he will still help you out. Just a thought.

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

• 3 months later...

Good morning all!

Same problem to me. As music teacher I wrote since 1994 about 1000 mct-files for students, ensembles and for privat use in concerts a.s.o. It is terrible hard to give up with Windows 8 / 10 to work with Musicator 4. No emulation mode nor administrator rights help to get it running. Simply no programm start!!!

I wrote yesterday an e-Mail. Thank you DaveMcM for this tipp! Havent't you no success, Synthoid? Then it will be same for me, I believe. Anyway, here are the shown results by searching with www.whois.com:

Name:Henrik Johannes Brodtkorb

Organization:Henrik Johannes Brodtkorb

Street:Ole Bulls gate 15

City:Kristiansand S

Postal Code:4630

Phone:+47.41518137

Email:jo@brodtkorb.com

I hope he will answer me, because the adress really exists in the phone book of norway, Kristiansand!

In 2009, I contacted the developer of Musicator (Henrik Johannes Brodtkorb) at the address "henrik@musicator.com" with some technical queries, and he was very helpful.

In 2016, I tried to contact him again at that address and also another address that I found on this webpage, "henrik.j.brodtkorb@uia.no", but I did not receive a reply.

As I have not been able to get Musicator working on my current computer, I have not been able to use my old Musicator files, and I am now using the free program MuseScore.

Thanks for these very useful informations.

The "no answerings" from him could mean, that he cut the line to his earlier work. Perhaps he work in an other music software. Let`s say he work at Sibelius or at Roland??? This may explain the "Last changed: 2016-08-18 13:17:56" in this website, from where you have his e-Mail. And it would explain the silence from him. Perhaps he had to swear to broke up all "care-abouts" for musicator users. How dreadful!

Do you tried out the demo of Mcat6? (It runs fine under Windows 8.1 !!!!) Hard enough that the download link isnt shown anymore (I was able to take a look on an earlier version of musicator.net from 2008 with http://www.waybackmachine.org/) furthermore you only can pay for the full version without the guarantee of any service from the programmer or any other person. This fits my theory from above, perhaps he needs the money or somebody from his family.

Yes, musescore is also nice. But it feels like a new life in a strange body for me. I want my old body back again :(

Could you tell me, what were the good news in your e-mail-dialog with Mr.Brodtkorb?

Thank you very much once again

kind regards

sahnebacke

When I contacted Mr Brodtkorb in 2009, he helped me to configure my audio driver and also answered my queries about using the program.

Yes, as you note, a working download link for the latest version (v6) of the Musicator program can still be found in some old copies of the Musicator website on the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine. The program installs and opens OK on my PC (Windows 7). It requires the ASIO4ALL audio driver to be installed also. However, after a 14-day trial period, it requires a substantial payment to continue using it, and as support appears to be no longer available, I looked for alternatives and am now using MuseScore.

Thank you!

The hardest thing is, that I created over 1000 mct-files for using in education. This makes a lot of my daily work to print out that "treasure".

I still have an old win-xp machine, only to keep it.

So, lets have success with new software, that's the life.

How is your workflow with Musescore? And do you know any person on earth, who have the musicator 6 installed and work with it?

Nice day and kind regards

sahnebacke

• 2 years later...
I have a laptop running Windows Vista (really) so that I can continue to use Musicator 3.x (really) as it has everything I need. Since I never know when my laptop will fail, I always create a midi file and PDF files of the my arrangements. Perhaps I can help recover the MCT files, assuming they don't require features beyond 3.x.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
The same here. I use an old laptop with Windows XP and I am happy with that. The printer Canon TS5050 works with it!!

I have the Musicator Delta from 2006 that worked with XP and 2000. Tried it on Windows 10 where it works if I make a right click on the Musicator icon at desktop and choose to open as Admin. I get an error message about "Floating..." but it seems to work properly so far.

• 11 months later...
I currently have Musicator Cat6 working on Windows 10, I installed the software just yesterday on my new laptop from the original setup file on the new laptop, installed Asio4all, imported my original reg file to licence it again. Within the program, all I had to do was change the output channels and it all works fine as before.

• 2 months later...

Musicator is a name I haven't heard for many years. :)

I used to beta test for them in their heyday during the 90s. They were just too small in the end to keep up with the progress of the larger companies. They only had 2 programmers, Jo (Henrik) and Steve.

I still have Musicator 3 running in a Win98 VM, mostly for nostalgia and because I'm in the process of exporting some old projects for remixing in Cubase.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

• 5 months later...
That sounds great. I think I will buy the Cat6. I hope, I will get an offer anywhere in the internet. Jo Brodtkorb doesnt sell it anymore.

Were you able to purchase the Cat6 version? I tried to do it myself some years ago, but I never got the software. However. After updating my stationary computer with the latest software of Windows 10, I have been able to run the Musicator Delta on it in a so-called "Compatibility mode" for "Windows XP, service pack 3". This works 100%.

More information: https://windowsreport.com/old-games-windows-11/

• 6 months later...

Sorry @thorjgvor this late answer.  Unfortunately, I haven't received a newer version of Musicator for over a year. Cat6 was never ever shown in eBay like any other versions. No one seems to have confidence that this software can still be sold. Now I look for newer scores on musescore.com and make screenshots, just to bypass the awful subscription and payment system. Did you have success with purchasing the version 6 ?

• 10 months later...