Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New to music production - Need some advice on VST Bundles

Loufrance

Hi,

Just got myself an Akai MPK249 and I love it so far. I've been learning to use Ableton Live Lite. The main issue I have is that I need more sounds though, I'm mainly lacking strings and brass instruments.

I play around with different styles ranging from soundtracks, down-tempo, hip-hop, trip-hop, Jazz, and more.

I can't afford any full kits but I was looking at getting one of these options.

The Sampletank 3 Chillout set http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/st3elektronika/

Sampletank 3 SE

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletank3se/

Or I'm leaning towards

Komplete Elements

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-elements/

If absolutely necessary I'm willing to buy an audio interface if it's got a good bundle and is less than $200, since I know sometimes hardware comes bundled with software for a good price.

Currently I use an Native Instruments Audio 2 interface since the latency is better than the soundcard built into my Core i5 Windows 7 laptop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you already have an audio interface, then no need to get another one. Upgrading to a full DAW will give you more sounds and sample libraries. It also sets you up to expand in future. I use Logic Pro, but I'm sure the full version of the other DAW packages have a lot of plugins, instruments, and sounds. You can also find a lot of free stuff from Spitfire Audio, 8DIO, and others.

NS3C, Hammond XK5, Yamaha S7X, Sequential Prophet 6, Yamaha YC73, Roland Jupiter X

I would choose Komplete Elements over SampleTank. I have SampleTank and none of it ever makes it into a mix. With Ableton Live Lite and NI Komplete Elements you have two products that give you a step up to full versions when you are ready. I also suggest visiting the KVR Audio Forum for information on the best free instruments. There are several good sounding freebies out there.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I also suggest visiting the KVR Audio Forum for information on the best free instruments. There are several good sounding freebies out there.

+1 on the KVR Audio Forum.

And really get to know the stuff you already have before getting more plugins and libraries. From my own experience, it is really easy to think that getting more options is the solution, but most often it is the opposite. The restrictions help the creativity and using a few tools that you really know makes the production process cleaner and more fun.

Rock bottom bass

Fakebook Pro Sheet Music Reader - at every gig!

I also suggest visiting the KVR Audio Forum for information on the best free instruments. There are several good sounding freebies out there.

+1 on the KVR Audio Forum.

And really get to know the stuff you already have before getting more plugins and libraries. From my own experience, it is really easy to think that getting more options is the solution, but most often it is the opposite. The restrictions help the creativity and using a few tools that you really know makes the production process cleaner and more fun.

Good advice.

I second the opinion of the NI package over SampleTank.

Busch.

Archived