Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This room is a nightmare

Hi Everybody,

I got the cover band booked into this place and this weekend is our first of several bookings there. It's got low ceilings, concrete floors, wood walls interrupted by several windows, and wood furniture. It's a rectangle with no stage and a tiny dance floor. The band has their backs to the short wall at one end. Oh God. The sound is like the sharp end of a toothpick. Last night I spun knobs for a set or two and managed to get my guitar to sound bad instead of truly truly awful. Any one been in this sitch and is there anything you can do? Halp!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played in a similar place with hatd tile floors, a low hard ceiling with lots of reflective angles & hard walls. I gotta tell ya, it is a bitch & I don't know how to help. I eq'd the hell out of things & got the sound decent. Where I had problems was fighting feedback. Those were solo acoustic gigs & the reflected sound was a bastard to control. Didn't really help all that much with the place full of people either. As the crowd got larger the general noise level got louder and thus I had to up the volume to a higher level, so, it was a matter of constant adjustments & if the flow of the crowd was such that a bunch left at the same time it was a killer.

The joint ain't bad to play if there are just a few people, say 30 or 40, but get more than that and things go to hell with the ebb & flow.

I feel your pain. :cry:

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Originally posted by RangerJay:

Fill the room with people. They're quite absorbant.

Otherwise, you're SOL.

You know what? That's seems to really sum it up. When the crowd was right at its peak the sound was almost bearable. And all it took to put it right back to ARFUL was for 30 people to leave. I knew this was going to happen, so I can't complain too much. Thanks for feeling my pain, daklander. :D

Just a note.. you are using "my" Avatar..

I had it first..give it back..besides, you might be severly attacked for being a bonehead if folks think you are me..

Tim.. What room?

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

Otherwise, you're SOL.

If no people, then Bounty, the quicker picker-upper...it's absorbent, too...and Stayfree Maxi-pads, for super absorbency... :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Stop it, Tedster, you're killing me some more!

There needs to be a graemlin that holds its sides and howls with laughter!

Allright, so we got through it. It (The Sound) was like trying to squeeze the last possible drop of honey out of the bearshaped honey squeeze honey thinger. Thank The Lord that people were in a mood to dance most of the time. Whew!

Mark, it was The Corner Saloon in West Linn/Lake Oswego. You know, the old Wanker's Corner location at Stafford/Borland Rd? In certain rooms my rig sounds full and sweet. In little boxy rooms with no carpet it's an icepick to the forehead. It even feels different. Now, tomorrow night we're over at Hopper's. Looking forward to that. Ever been to the M&M Lounge in Gresham? Man, my amp sounds HUGE in there. Good thing we're booked there too. :thu:

Archived