Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Missing the 88s

earl the pearl

Thought I would be happy without the weight of a large board and got the Nord E5D 61. Love the board but I miss my weighted action and the few extra octaves to move. Looking for suggestions on a board .Budget $1k.Simply need good AP and EP to use under the Nord which I will use for organs and everything else.Had a chance to play a Juno DS88 and was happy.Also looking at the Casio px5-s. You guys have always given great advice.

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what its all about?

Nord E5D, EV ZLX12P, MX61

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Casio PX-5S - the piano sound can be tweaked to be really good. For EP, many are happy although I am still in the tweaking stages. 25 pounds, sounds great.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Another thumbs up for the PX5S, especially as a piano/EP board underneath a clone. And that combination will give you your choice of using the pianos and EPs from the PX and/or the Nord (assuming the Nord 5 lets you play a piano sound from an external board while playing an organ sound locally, which I'm fairly sure it does).

About the only thing negative I could say about the PX is that the hammer mechanism can be dislodged a little too easily. The keyboard has to fall "forward" and the hammers can come loose. If it does, the keyboard does not take well to being taken apart since it's metal screws into plastic. I understand why they did this I guess, but I have never had a mechanism come loose like this - an entire octave of keys were loose.

If you are careful with it (good case etc), it should be fine. Treat it like what it is.... plastic.

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

very bothersome to me playing dynamic piano patches on a synth or organ action. just doesn't feel right. i know plenty agree. you need to feel the swing to time strikes and make adjustments to the volume level to play it expressively. even then, some weighted actions do it better than others.

the Juno DS-88 has the ivory feel G action (with escapement). I can play this action well, but the shallow drop does feel more like an upright to me than a grand. it's good enough. Roland's A88 controller uses this action as well, and as you can see from the Spectrasonics' Keyscape party - some very pro players can work with it as well.

[video:youtube]

But even so, it's not my favorite action, but it's priced well and the DS88 has some new piano samples in it. 35.12lbs

I like the PX-5S action better. It has a deeper drop, even if it's a bit more jiggly and I do like the EPs on it. The piano is decent as well, although maybe not as good as the pricier boards. But it's 24.47lbs which really makes it for some guys.

I'd say you have to play these two to see which you prefer.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

There are some newer programs I found and tweaked for the PX-5S piano. They sound really good live. Yes, you can't change the basic samples but for live, it has a good sound. The 25 pounds make it great to carry around.

Wish I had tried the DS88 but I am not a big Roland piano fan unfortunately.

Less than 1K, I like the Casio PX5s. I had one friend buy one at my recommendation and she didn't get along with the interface. Check out YT vids and look at the interfaces. You might get along better with the DS-88.

Out of the box you can't plug an Expression pedal into the Casio which is goofy as Hell considering its otherwise potential as a controller. If that is an issue check out the Roland or maybe some of the newer Casios that I know nothing about.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I hear you. I thought I could get by with a 61-key Nord for gigs. Boy was I wrong.

At the $1k price point, I'll join with everyone else and say Casio PX5S. But, for a bit more, I bet you can find a lightly used Nord Piano 2, and I bet you'll be happier in the long run.

Not only that, you'll be matchy-matchy on stage :)

Want to make your band better?  Check out "A Guide To Starting (Or Improving!) Your Own Local Band"

Simply need good AP and EP to use under the Nord which I will use for organs and everything else.Had a chance to play a Juno DS88 and was happy.Also looking at the Casio px5-s.

Two good choices there. Though if all you care about is AP/EP, you might enjoy the less expensive Kawai ES100. One caveat... although the EPs sound nice, they have effects baked into them that you can't disable. (Of course, you could also trigger your Nord sounds from your 88 when needed.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Less than 1K, I like the Casio PX5s. I had one friend buy one at my recommendation and she didn't get along with the interface. Check out YT vids and look at the interfaces. You might get along better with the DS-88.

Out of the box you can't plug an Expression pedal into the Casio which is goofy than Hell considering its otherwise potential as a controller. If that is an issue check out the Roland or maybe some of the newer Casios that I know nothing about.

The Privia Pro PX-560 has the same AP's and EP's as the 5S, and addresses the interface issue with a color touch-screen. It also has the expression pedal input.

The 560 MAP is $1,199 though so it is a bit over the budget, but you may be able to sweet talk the retailer into a 15% discount to get it down to a grand. :thu:

Another vote for the PX-5S. It feels lovely, looks great under stage lights, sounds lovely and is a delight to use. It does what you require, and plenty more. I use mine with a VR-09 and feel that between the two of them, there is almost nothing I can't do. :-)
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

As mentioned the Casio Privia 560 gives you the same key bed and AP sounds as the PX5S and is easier to navigate. For less money you get the same thing with fewer sounds and polyphony in the Privia 360.

I'm also in the market for a new board and lots of choices , lucky us.

I'll go with the DS88. In fact, I'm going to when I move some keyboards out of here.

The one thing it has over the Casio is a lot more sounds in a lot more genres.

And though this is probably sacrilege on this site, I'm not overly enamored with the PX-5S piano sound.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

I've played the PX-5S many times, and was on a church gig that provided a Juno DS88. The DS88 was like a trip down synth memory lane; great classic synth coverage, plus some capable piano and surprisingly good tonewheel sounds (the VK patches were a cool addition). But, the PX-5S was more satisfying to me as a stage piano; better hand-to-ear connection, and pianistic vibe. As you have tonewheel organ covered by the Nord, it seems the PX-5S is a solid choice.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

>I'm not overly enamored with the PX-5S piano sound.

You would be amazed at the wide variety of piano sounds that can come from the built in pianos. The casio music forum has a bunch and some of them really elevate the sound. I thought the PX could never rival my S90ES but it is just as good for many things. You are right, it is very weak in synth sounds and some other sounds. There is no mono mode which is a big bummer. The interface is also dated.

>I'm not overly enamored with the PX-5S piano sound.

Me either. But for the $1000 budget there aren't alot of choices where you would get a great piano, great EP and light size and weight w/ 88 weighted keys.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Numa Stage, Numa Nano, Kurz SP4-8, DGXs, Williams Allegro stuff, More Yamaha like the 105 and MM8s. Korg B1, SP-280, Roland FP30 Etc.... But why.

Simply need good AP and EP to use under the Nord which I will use for organs and everything else.

The Electro 5 is multitimbral, right? So why not MIDI the PX-5S and gain access to the 1 GB Nord Piano library? That would make the quality of internal sounds of the PX-5S less relevant.

- Guru

This is really what MIDI was originally about encouraging cooperation between companies that make the world a more creative place." - Dave Smith

The Electro 5 is multitimbral, right? So why not MIDI the PX-5S and gain access to the 1 GB Nord Piano library? That would make the quality of internal sounds of the PX-5S less relevant.

- Guru

My first thought also. Unless the OP needs both "slots" of the E5 to support e.g. an organ/mellotron split upstairs, while playing AP downstairs.

If a simple "one up, one down" configuration is sufficient, get the Casio. Or a s/h Yamaha p35 or similar. Anything with a MIDI port and an action/weight/price you like. (I'd recommend some onboard sounds, to enable you to limp through a gig if the E5 fails).

Cheers, Mike.

I played an Electro 4D 61 over a PX5S for about a year.

While I enjoyed the feel of the keys of the Casio, I never could stomach the Casio pianos when I could have been playing the Nord samples. Tweaking them just couldn't get me there. Perhaps I lack tweaking skills.

Between that, the lower build quality, and the dated interface I knew I wouldn't have the Casio for long. In the end, it was also important to me to have no buttons above the keys so I could place my Nord directly on top. (I prefer my boards to be very close). Thus I sold the Casio and simply got a controller. I now have the Electro 5D and a Doepfer LMK2+, but am thinking of getting the wood action in a Studiologic SL88 Grand (hopefully, the control knob doesn't stick out very far and I'll be able to set by Nord directly on top of it).

My Big Live Rig:

Nord Stage 3 Compact

StudioLogic SL88 Grand

The CAT by Octave

Hohner Melodica

Leslie 145

Silverface Bassman 70 -> Custom 2x10 cabinet

2 - QSC K8.2

light size and weight w/ 88 weighted keys.

To me, these two factors don't ever enter into the equation. I started on piano. It was friggin' heavy. I knew that. Now, at 59, with no left knee and not the greatest back in the world, I still don't care about the weight. If I did, I would have taken up the pennywhistle. (Actually, I did, also!)

Sorry, and I know this is going to open a HUGE can of worms, but if anyone buys a keyboard because of its weight, they should consider learning to play a lighter instrument, or getting out of the business altogether. This whole "it's gotta be light" thing is for a bunch of sissy-boys, and it's contributing to the industry creating shittier and shittier keyboards- 4 octaves, lousy actions, crappy shells, and those that want the weight loss just turn their faces up and take it like a money shot.

This isn't aimed at you, Dave, I just got to the point where I can't take another post stating that people buy a keyboard based on its weight.

Because if that's really a consideration, why not start playing one of these?

http://static.musicroom.com/img/c/f/PTN100574.jpg

Okay, I'm done- let the flames begin.

..Joe

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

No you are right on point. The dark side is manufacturers have used this as an excuse to build cheap shit hardware. When Roland discontinues the JP80 they will no longer produce a professional grade synth. I THINK they will keep one quality stage piano in the stable.

light size and weight w/ 88 weighted keys.

To me, these two factors don't ever enter into the equation. I started on piano. It was friggin' heavy. I knew that. Now, at 59, with no left knee and not the greatest back in the world, I still don't care about the weight. If I did, I would have taken up the pennywhistle. (Actually, I did, also!)

Sorry, and I know this is going to open a HUGE can of worms, but if anyone buys a keyboard because of its weight, they should consider learning to play a lighter instrument, or getting out of the business altogether. This whole "it's gotta be light" thing is for a bunch of sissy-boys, and it's contributing to the industry creating shittier and shittier keyboards- 4 octaves, lousy actions, crappy shells, and those that want the weight loss just turn their faces up and take it like a money shot.

This isn't aimed at you, Dave, I just got to the point where I can't take another post stating that people buy a keyboard based on its weight.

Because if that's really a consideration, why not start playing one of these?

http://static.musicroom.com/img/c/f/PTN100574.jpg

Okay, I'm done- let the flames begin.

..Joe

B.S. There's no reason that a quality instrument can't be made lighter using strong lighter weight materials. Casio and others choose to make their keyboards almost entirely out of plastics in order to meet a price point. It costs more to make a keyboard from aluminum or a high entropy alloy, and doing so places it at a higher price point.

It would be so nice to see Yamaha or Kawai offer one of their quality actions mounted to something other than a huge slab of particle board. There's no reason why in 2016 the Yamaha Montage has to weight 62lbs 16oz. Yamaha makes some great long lasting quality builds. But it doesn't need to be this heavy - certainly not at $4000. YMMV

Besides, trust me, the industry's choice to build cheap shit has nothing to do with the gigging community's desire for stage pianos and synths that are a little lighter. It's just profit. We're in the minority. They all sell a lot more home keyboards and bedroom producer stuff than anything we would be interested in buying.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Margin is the motivation but weight is the marketing rationalization. Salesmen has to address this junk somehow.

> Sorry, and I know this is going to open a HUGE can of worms, but if anyone buys a keyboard because of its weight, they should consider learning to play a lighter instrument, or getting out of the business altogether.

forget it. Not worth it.

Archived