Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which RadioShack Microphone ????

no, this is not a joke, does anybody know the model # of that famous radio shack mic that so many obscure fascinating post have been made about. it supposedly sounds pretty good, and is cheap as hell. Maybe there is more than one i'm not sure but all I know is that it's not all of radioshacks mics just a couple in paticular, i've

even heard of other people trying to find them too.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got one for thirty smacks. a little double dealie thang. with two little mics attached. you put batteries in it and it has a foam pop screen That I immediatly took off.

I was never too impressed with it.

I NOW use a two dollar pencil mic that I pre through a four track on which I've pressed PAUSE and recorde at the same time so the signal FEEDS through.

For vocals I have switched from shure to PEAVY. all vocals/instuments are recorded through a series 22.

the shure seems muddy.

PEAVY: Crisp, clean, and clear: it's the way to go.

Peavy. get you some! .

I use their cheap ball mic as well. for other stuff.

I turn it up HOT and stay back.

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

I'm along with the notion that what you're looking for is the PZM mic that Radio Shack used to carry. It was made by Crown & was a great mic for certain uses. They still carry a boundary mic but from all I hear it's not nearly as good a mic.

You'll probably still be able to find them on dBay now and again, or a thrift store or pawn shop.

CROWN still makes them. HERE\'S

one link to a distributer.

Radio Shack\'s is here.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Ahh, Radio Shack.... They used to have a PZM that was made by Crown. The only difference was the Radio Shack one had a cable to 1/4" male and the Crown one was XLR. I used one in a studio many years ago. It was a "best kept secret" that everyone seemed to know about. Ebay, my friend. Find your microphone there.

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - hand selected components, for your pleaure.

I have a cheap Radio Shack microphone that uses a single AA battery, is less than 1/2" in diameter, and absolutely kills when I mic a guitar amp. It doesn't do much else, but it works for that.

I usually track with an SM57, and double it with the RS cheapy, and then pan them appropriately to avoid cancellation (that phasing thing...).

I don't know why, but that cheap microphone makes my amps sound really big. Must be some EQ activity going on. Plus, I don't have to worry about SPL damage. That little sucker will take anything, and keep on going. I bought it around '85, and I don't think they are to be found in stores.

Originally posted by F7sound -:

Ahh, Radio Shack.... They used to have a PZM that was made by Crown. The only difference was the Radio Shack one had a cable to 1/4" male and the Crown one was XLR...

Actually, this is correct and incorrect. ;)

The RS version was designed for a higher voltage than the AA battery can provide. There are conversions that I believe involve more than switching out the connections for a 9v battery, but I could be wrong about that. Either way, the mic performs as well as the similar Crown model when run off 9v.

They discontinued selling PZM's at RS a at least 3 or 4 years ago. Any "new-old stock" would have to be a mic that was lost in a stockroom. Guys like us have scowered virtually every, if not every, RS in search of a new one. :cry: (I kept putting off buying my own until they had discontinued and sold out. I even had the store check availability with their home office. None showed anywhere in the Nashville area.)

Incidentally, PZM is a registered trademark of Crown, and the design is patented. Other manufacturers make boundary mics, but none possess the phase coherence of Crown's PZM's The secret is all sound must reflect into the diaphragm. The space between the element mount and the boundary plate is so small that virtually all sound arrives in coherent waves. That, and the fact that you can tailor it's bass response by changing the size of the boundary by mounting the mic on a flat surface such as a board, a wall, table, or the inside of a piano cover.

Great mic. Only $49 (then $59 towards the end) when purchased new at RS.

You can find them on Ebay, but I don't know how the price of used ones has fluctuated since they were discontinued.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Actually, I ran my Shack PZM with two 9V batteries in series to get 18V (I thought I'd save ya'll the trouble of doing the complex math :) ). Now that I think about it, I think this mod might've been Craig's from an old EM article. If I remember correctly, it's supposed to significantly increase headroom. For the money, it was a pretty good-sounding little mic...
None more black.

Originally posted by halljams:

The littlest shittiest one with the switch that costs like a dollar is the one we use the most.

AWESOME lofi. Seriously.

Put it through a rat pedal with tons of compression.

Yeh! Now we're talkin'!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - loves that $1 Rat Shack sound.

This mic has had some interesting uses over time. It was used in a lot of offices. Lying flat on a table it is the perfect teleconference mic. Mounted on different faces of a plywood box (hexagonal, I think) three or four were used to mic various stage ensembles. They were used in stage productions, gaffer taped to the floor or a prop to pick up some localized event.

I bought two of the last RS PZM's on the west coast. One of them is still "stock" and one is modified according to stuff from the net. Since I am not a real electronics tech I did not modify it for phantom power. All I did was to solder in a 9v battery connector to replace the 1.5v one and replaced the TS jack with an XLR. Then I attached the plastic element housing to an 18 inch square piece of plexiglass instead of the small metal plate. Oh, and I pulled the bit of fuzz off of the element (said to open up the highs). I find that the noise (there is a lot) gets too great with any more voltage.

I have used this mic several times to record my own backup vocals. I like it, but can't state a specific reason. I'm sure the same effect can be achieved through EQ. Factoid: These mics have no proximity effect.

Rubber Lizard Studio

I use a bunch of old RS mics that are obscure gems. Beside the PZMs, a favorite is a model 33-3007 small diaphram condenser. These work well as drum overheads and also for acoustic guitar. I also use a 33-3010 model for my main live vocal mic. Laugh, but I like the sound much better than the SM-58s I have and it was about $80 less expensive. I questioned at the time whether it would be any good at that price but it is. It's been pretty heavily abused with no problems at all. Most RS stuff is pretty trashy but if you look, you can occasionally find some really decent quality stuff at ridiculously low prices.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

I also use a 33-3010 model for my main live vocal mic. Laugh, but I like the sound much better than the SM-58s I have and it was about $80 less expensive. I questioned at the time whether it would be any good at that price but it is. It's been pretty heavily abused with no problems at all. Most RS stuff is pretty trashy but if you look, you can occasionally find some really decent quality stuff at ridiculously low prices.

I have a 33-984 "Highball" mic that I bought twenty some years ago and it was my main vocal mic for years. Still works great & it's been knocked over onto hard tile floors several times. The only thing visible that happened was the wind screen top half flew off. I was able to pop it back into positon & went right on using it. I loaned it to my son for his main vocal & he used it for three or four years before I got it back. Right now it's my back up as a live mic for my acoustic guitars.

R.S. definitely has some good stuff, as well as crap. You just have to find the good stuff.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I guess I was mistaken about that RS mic. it's a 30-3014 OPTIMUS and it has two jacks. a smaller one and an even smaller one. OY.

So what do those numbers mean.

I see those numbers a lot in this topic. 30-xxxx ect...

So if i use the mod suggestions for amping up the mic will it work any better for me?

Like increasing the battery power X2 or even like 9v. and converting it to a 1/4 in. jack?

I like the idea of putting a backing plate behind it to gather sound like an ear.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

arellspencer, From what I understand, the higher you push the voltage the higher the self-induced noise. I believe the upper limit is 9 volts but even there the noise level may be too high so you may have to drop to 6 volts.

Our Joint

Originally posted by arellspencer:

I guess I was mistaken about that RS mic. it's a 30-3014 OPTIMUS and it has two jacks. a smaller one and an even smaller one. OY.

So what do those numbers mean.

I see those numbers a lot in this topic. 30-xxxx ect...

Arell, those numbers are RS's internal stock numbers. Until a few years ago, you never saw the brand name of the gear they sold. This is still true of many products, but they do sell some under the manufacturers name too. So just because it says Optimus doesn't mean it isn't made by Shure or AT, Sennheisser or Crown.

So if i use the mod suggestions for amping up the mic will it work any better for me?

Like increasing the battery power X2 or even like 9v. and converting it to a 1/4 in. jack?

I like the idea of putting a backing plate behind it to gather sound like an ear.

Unless the mic is designed to accept higher voltage you will not gain anything by switching power supplies. The Crown PZM sold as a RS Optimus mic was designed for higher voltage. By using a cheaper looking case and running the mic at 1.5v, Crown and RS had a way to differentiate the RS and the Crown sold products. From all I've ever heard about the RS/Crown PZM, it was identical to one of the PZM's (internally) sold by Crown for $200 more than the RS version. (That is, other than the power supply.)

I know of no other mic that has been sold cheap in this way.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by F7sound -:

Originally posted by halljams:

The littlest shittiest one with the switch that costs like a dollar is the one we use the most.

AWESOME lofi. Seriously.

Put it through a rat pedal with tons of compression.

Yeh! Now we're talkin'!

Michael Oster

F7 Sound and Vision

ReGurgiTron - loves that $1 Rat Shack sound.

I hear you, brothers!

I did record several of my tunes with the bundled and shitty mic which came with my soundblaster Live.

My final CD still has TWO songs with the voices I recorded with it.

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

"Back in the Day" Radio SHack was really under-rated. I recently picked up a pair of Crown PZM mic's, which are fantastic and I still have 2 or three of those "Hi-Ball" mic's which are for all intents and purposes SM58's. I lost my original Radio Shack pzm's along the way. :(

Desdinova

"...I am the one you warned me of."

www.BaronAudio.com

It's gotta be the PZM that your refering to. I've got one, and realy wish I would have bought two.

I've gotten good results on vocals and drums with it. Another way to increase the voltage is to use (2) PX28A batteries, which are exactly half the length of a AA and operate at 6 volts. (This was the actuall recomendation to increase freq response in the included literature.) This also saves from having to modify the mic.

Anybody got some links on the mods mentioned in this thread?

duracell px28a-looks like it\'s changed nomenclature a bit

energizer equivalent for px28a

I own 2 of the RS PZM's and I can personally attest as to their quality when used as distant ambiance mics; I just put them on my hard oak floor about 6 feet in front of my drum kit and then use close mics on the kick, snare and hi-hat!
This way, no, wait, that way!

Could somebody take a digi-pic of that PZM or whatever it is.

Post it up here and let us see one.

Put a pencil or pen beside it to give it scale.

c'mon !

arellspencer, is this what you want?

http://www.tlhenry.com/photos/Thumb.jpg

Here\'s the LARGE PICTURE!

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Desdinova:

I still have 2 or three of those "Hi-Ball" mic's which are for all intents and purposes SM58's.

I still have mine after over twenty years & wish I had more of them. I check on eBay now and again.

It puts alot of other mics to shame & I've had people ask if it was a SM58. I'd tell 'em yeah but in disguise. :D

Our Joint

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Could somebody take a digi-pic of that PZM or whatever it is.

Post it up here and let us see one.

Put a pencil or pen beside it to give it scale.

c'mon !

arellspencer, is this what you want?

Is There Gas In The Car? :cool:

Yeah! cool mon'!

INTERESTINK! OH YEAH!

the one I have is a smallish pencil type with a battery.

that PZM is one wild lookink mic.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

Archived