Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VST Link - get new life out of old computers

Hi, I read the following press release yesterday. I find it very interesting from many points of view. Read it and let you fantasy roam free! Steinberg VST System Link - A Quantum Leap in Music Production System Power Hamburg, December 2001 (ictw). The 1996 Frankfurt Musik Messe show saw Steinberg unveil a spectacular new technology that would revolutionize the world of digital music production. Today Steinberg's Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is a global standard. With VST all it takes to make a full-blown professional audio studio is a standard Windows or Apple Macintosh PC. The performance of this type of system was to date determined by the capabilities of a single computer, which of course are finite. Musicians and producers who sought to work with numerous audio tracks, EQs, compressors, reverb effects, and virtual instruments in large-scale projects often discovered where performance limits of their computer systems lay. That was then, this is now: Steinberg presents VST System Link! What is VST System Link? VST System Link connects computers. The link is established using a simple digital audio cable. A single bit of just one audio channel serves to connect two, three, four, eight, ad infinitum systems and sync them up with sample accurate precision. Case in point: Any desired number of audio tracks with EQs, effects, compressors, and plug-ins run on computer 1, while VST instruments like HALion, The Grand, LM4 Mk II, TC Native Reverb - just to mention a few - run on computer 2. The user may opt to run MIDI tracks on the first or second computer. In either case, the computers are simply synchronized. In the latter case, computer 1 sends MIDI data to computer 2 via as many MIDI channels and virtual ports as desired - without the merest hint of a timing problem, and always with sample accurate precision. So much for theory. What does that mean in practice? 1. Old PCs are spared the recycling bin. Every PC may be reused, increasing the studio's real-time music power. 2. Limitless performance. Every user can access as many audio tracks as desired, and as many VST instruments as necessary. Every computer in a VST System Link network adds hard drives and increases processing power. 3. Multiple workstations. Record a guitar solo while an assistant cuts the best vocal takes? Sure. Mix dialogs while sounds are generated on the other machine? Certainly. 4. Clients come to the studio, notebook and a pre arrangement in hand, and simply dock onto the local system. Nuendo in the studio, Cubase in clients' home? No problem! VST System Link interfaces applications. 5. Dub videos simultaneously with dialog, music, and sound effects? By all means: three systems can run simultaneously, tripling the creative output. 6. VST System Link spells a renaissance for MIDI. Hundreds, even thousands of MIDI channels are available ? sans any of the usual MIDI timing difficulties. 7. Digital mixdown using several systems? Absolutely, just like the way multi-system mixing is performed in VST. 8. Macintosh or Windows PC? Both ? here too, VST System Link is the joining force. VST System Link is exclusively available in Cubase VST and Nuendo from Q 1/ 2002. Merry Christmas! Mats Nermark

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow! where did you find that? The Steinberg site says nothing about it....it sounds very cool though. I've often wondered about using multiple computers for a single project just like that, but wasn't interested in purchase the program several times. I'm going to call our stores Steinberg rep on Monday and see what else i can find out. Thanks very much, good find. cheers, shiver
Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

This is HUGE... :eek: Cubase.net already has a thread about it, but I'm sure a lot of people are going to be excited. Myself included. This also potentially opens up a bridge for linking Cubase and Nuendo. mmmmm....Nuendo.... Happy Holidays, Wiggum

Talk about a gift for christmas, this is a sad sad day for Digidesign! [img]http://www.theunholytrinity.org/cracks_smileys/contrib/guus/kerstsmiley.gif[/img] It will probably be really intresting to see what happens next on this scene. /Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I've been doing this on a very primitive level by linking computers via MIDI. But the VST link sounds much more useful and impressive. Doncha just love progress? I wonder if Steinberg will allow other companies to incorporate this technique in their programs........

It sounds like it will be a big clock-loop, with one machine being the primary/master. In a multi-node array, you will still be bound by the speed of the slowest link in the chain. But it sounds cool to be able to spread the burden of a huge mix across several machines. Great for bragging rights to say 'I can get 1.7 billion tracks on my system, with a latentcy of .005.' [ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Hippie ]
In two days, it won't matter.

As geeked as I am, this leaves a lot of questions on my mind (one of which Shiver already hit): 1) Will you need to buy Cubase for each system, or will Steinberg release a VST shell for the satellites (perhaps something that will only work in tandem with a host)? 2) You will need a soundcard for each computer (where else would you put the digital out), but do they all need to be low latency, high quality cards? Or, do you need just a simple SB Live or equivalent to get the link? I have a Delta 66 right now, and I'm buying a Hammerfall next year, but I would want the whole system to employ the Hammerfall. I will be very curious to see how this is implemented in the Cubase UI. Perhaps the links will be seamless, and it will be like a huge multi-processor system. Or perhaps it will be rewire-esque, where you call up the other computers through a bridge. Anyways, this is really exciting. Hats off to the folks at Steinberg. Wiggum

[quote]Originally posted by Anderton: [b]I've been doing this on a very primitive level by linking computers via MIDI.[/b][/quote] me too. sonar on one with a midi rig and reason on another as a sketch pad sync'd up im not sure if this proposed idea will make me go back to cubase though... not to mention i cant afford the licence, and am slowly getting 'legit' with all my programs (warez ARE good for students, but the karma thing of being a paid musician... uh uh) i wont hold my breath either with the implementation. ive seen a lot of promising press releases with little follow up, no doubt you all have seen many times more. either issues i may have.... hmmm. i wouldnt want this concept going the way of mLAN (which in my eyes, is a dead idea... stupid Roland/Yamaha cant play nice :( hahah im just imagine the ANCIENT 386 in the garage being a part of my rig... :p

[quote]Originally posted by Wiggum: [b]<> <<1) Will you need to buy Cubase for each system, or will Steinberg release a VST shell for the satellites (perhaps something that will only work in tandem with a host)?>> (Purely speculation) -I would tend to think if all machines are running as one entity, that would constitute as 'one' machine. <<2) You will need a soundcard for each computer (where else would you put the digital out), but do they all need to be low latency, high quality cards? Or, do you need just a simple SB Live or equivalent to get the link? I have a Delta 66 right now, and I'm buying a Hammerfall next year, but I would want the whole system to employ the Hammerfall.>> My guess is Stienberg would sell a seperate 'digital link-up' card/cables that would allow the seperate machines to be in sync., and the end-user would be able to choose from 'VST Link' compatible/approved audio cards by participating vendors. <> Another guess - I would think a 'split-screen' GUI would somehow have to be implemented for access to all the machines in the link, unless of course you want to go running back and forth to each machines screens' for adjustments. :D -either that, or get yourself an A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I,J,K,L,M... 'KVM'- switch. ;) <> Wiggum[/b][/quote] Agreed, if implemented properly, the possibilities would be endless. Exciting times indeed. Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

I would think that each person linking to the other would have to have one of the Steinberg sequencers. That's what they want, remember. If being on their network makes you want to buy their sequencer, then it's a good business idea while at the same time offering something cool for the user. On the other hand, it could be open to other VST compatible hosts. We'll see in a month I suppose. Incidentally, has anyone yet heard of Sonic Synth? There was a press release on MPN about a month or so ago. It is a VST instrument that is a virtual workstation keyboard plug-in. It uses the SampleTank engine which has killer integrated effects and the sounds come from my company, Sonic Reality. I am mentioning it because it is a great thing to have for collaborating. It has most of your meat and potatoes instruments like pianos, strings, pads, leads, basses, guitars, drums etc. and it even has a PRO sounding GM set (275meg set- nice usable quality...for a change). If you have it and your friend has it on his computer then you can send midi sequences back and forth and both hear the same thing. Yet, you still have control of the sequence data (as opposed to just audio). It's just like if you and your friend both had a JV2080 and told each other which sounds to call up for the sequence. Actually, Sonic Synth even has "expansionROM" options like many popular hardware sound modules have had. The thing is, dare I say, it sounds better than a lot of the hardware sound modules because the sound set is over 2 gigs (as opposed to just 32-64megs of ROM) and the price for Sonic Synth and the expansionROM discs are so cheap that it's not a lot to ask of your friend you want to collaborate with. You do both have to own it though to do this. But, here's the thing... At this price point, even guitar players, drummers, singers etc who might not go out and duplicate a keyboardist's midi rig just so they can collaborate with him, might spend a few hundred bucks for Sonic Synth if they already have a VST or MAS compatible sequencer. This is a sound module packed with killer original SOUNDS, regardless of your other VSTi sampler and synth likes and dislikes. It's like a home base, reference tool, writing source, production workhorse... It's new which is why I bring it up. I don't mean to sound like an ad but if this sounds at all interesting to you, you might want to check it out. I'd be shocked if you didn't think it was an incredible deal and a product with a lot of creative potential for your music. You can read about it here: http://www.sonicreality.com Anyway, Sonic Synth and OmniSynth (a lite version for even less that has just the PRO GM set) could possibly be something that would work well with this VST system link. Integrated sounds like this can be handy for collaborating. Hope you don't mind me mentioning it.

wow! that's really impressive....i checked out some of the demos...really nice. I was quite pleased with the string sounds and the vintage synth one was terrific...is this available yet? i'm going to have to check with my work to see if we have a distributor for that.....thanks alot... Shiver
Rule #2: Don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Hey Shiver, Not only do fleas not taste good, they aren't worth the work for such little meat. uiscMa, Shiver and anyone else just hearing about this cool new VSTi (and MAS plug-in) that could really be handy for collaborating...Sonic Synth IS shipping and has been for over a month. People are loving it like you wouldn't believe. It's a killer deal for what it has to offer (5 discs and over 2 gigs of sounds from Sonic Reality along with SampleTank LE software from IK Multimedia for just $250. US) It's not even in the stores yet, but you can buy it from anywhere in the world at [url=http://www.esoundz.com]www.esoundz.com[/url] Sorry if that sounds like an advertisement. But, this is useful information and will save you time hunting for it. As far as distributors go, you can also get Sonic Synth, OmniSynth and our ST expansionROM modules from IK Multimedia and their international chain of distributors. Here is a link to the press release on MPN for anyone interested: http://www.musicplayer.com/CDA/Player/Main/1,2228,News--5171970,00.html There might at least be a review of OmniSynth which is a lite version of Sonic Synth in many ways (and sells for just $129- the best hundy you ever spent). I think there is a user review here on MPN. If not there are user reviews on [url=http://www.kvr-vst.com]www.kvr-vst.com[/url] to check out. There are also press releases on HC and other sites. Reviews will be in a few months because it takes a while for that to come out in print but... there is a lot of information to research where the sound part comes from and where the plug-in side comes from since we are talking about the marriage of Sonic Reality sounds and IK Multimedia's SampleTank Engine. That's all there is to it! It should be an easy decision if you're up on either of these two company's products. If you've been waiting for real musical playable instruments and a large variety of them (the kind of selection you'd find in a workstation keyboard costing thousands more) then you might want to check this out. Seriously. Thanks for giving it some thought. Like I said, I am respectfully trying to be on topic and mentioning something new that is cool for making music. I hope this helps some people with their VST or MAS sound rig. It's got a lot of bang for the buck. Oh, you can read some reviews on Sonic Reality's sample libraries in the U.S. Keyboard Mag. There's a review of the Interactive Strings in the Dec 2001 issue and there is a KeyBuy review of Interactive Drums in the April 2001 issue.

Thanks Craig. I am respectful of that. I try to provide useful relevant info and since some of the products I speak of are totally new, I have to mention what it is I am talking about and perhaps where they can get it. This is at least for now so people aren't "teased and lost". I don't want to waste anyone's time trying to find it. Whether it's a product from our company or not, this is a cool concept which is: two users have the same sounds in an instrument plug-in on their computer and send each other midi sequence data referencing those sounds (leaving more room for other things to be sent as audio- if even necessary). Since many people at least do know about SampleTank, they might not now that OmniSynth comes with the SampleTank engine and 665 megs of Sonic Reality sounds that happen include all 128 instruments from the GM list. This is all for about a hundred bucks which might mean something to people because it's so highly affordable (another great aspect for convincing others to get it for collaboration purposes) The important thing to note is that these particular sounds in OmniSynth are NOT cheeze! We are talking real sounding instruments here which is a big deal in many people's view. It adds value to doing SMF's if there is a high quality reference for midi seq playback. Here's one other concept before Craig rips my post right off the net! ;) The same PRO GM sound set is available as a sound library for REASON, EXS24, HALion, SampleTank, SampleCell and Unity. It's called OmniSoundz. What is the significance of me mentioning OmniSynth and OmniSoundz? For internet collaboration, there are a lot of options here for referencing the same set of samples which adhere to the most universal standard set of sounds- the GM list. Imagine if you have OmniSynth as a VST plug-in and do a sequence and send that over to your buddy who has Logic and the EXS24 with OmniSoundz.... or even to someone who has REASON! Let's say you have Digital Performer and use OmniSynth as a MAS plug-in and send a sequence over to your friend who has Cubase and HALion with OmniSoundz. THAT is the value of information I am trying to get to from my posts. I don't think there is anything out there like this that is cross platform! It can only come from a third party company such as ours, Sonic Reality. Think about it. Why would any of the big software companies like Steinberg, Logic, Motu, Propellerheads etc. do it? They don't care if you have great sounds in other company's sample playback formats! So, since those companies are what most people talk about here on forums, one might otherwise miss out on a good thing had I or someone else not mention it! (BTW, I did notice there is a good SPANISH user review of OmniSynth on MPN to check out! Perhaps, that person can do an English lang version for you to read for opinions that doen't come from the creator). Thanks for letting me get this concept across. It could change the way some people make music on their computer. I want Craig to try this stuff out first hand because for as many things as he's heard over the years, I would bet that he would be impressed. (Craig, I use to have a Gnome. :) )

Hi, It seems they are talking about my review at "Nuestro Foro" (Forum in Spanish at MusicPlayer`s Forum). Yes, true, I did a good review for Omnisynth in Spanish (I am from Argentina) and also did a review in English for another forum (people must forgive my English). I received OmniSynth a few days ago and I am totally happy with it. It is great. I was interested in this thread because I have two computers (my main computer and a notebook). I bought OmniSynth, which comes with SampleTank LE and ordered an expansion-ROM (The Piano Collection) for which I also ordered an additional copy of SampleTank LE (one registered copy for each computer), which was not expensive at all. But it seems from Mats comments that I can do much more with two computers than what I am doing now. If I knew earlier, I might have not given away a third PC I had.

Archived