Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody see the George Harrison Tribute concert?

Last night I saw this on our local public TV station - It was a tribute convert to George Harrison. It looked like it was in Albert Hall, in 2003

It had:

Dahni Harrison (I think that's how it's spelled)

Ringo

Paul

Eric

Tom Petty

Jeff Lynn

Ravi Shankar

a nice string section

and a pile of other folks (Eric Idle, and a bunch of other people I recognized but couldn't identify)

I didn't see it all, but was able to get about 90 minutes onto a hifi stereo VHS tape.

George's music still makes the chills go up my spine. It just makes me feel better somehow.

I plan to dub it to CD to make those rough days at work go better...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah I saw parts. I was non too impressed really.

What would have been better to me would have been a retrospective of his life in detail with the music evolving as the film rolled.

To me LIVE music at a funeral as it were is bad form. all I could thank of was he was ROTTING while they were jamming. and smiling and OY!

I went a different route. I pretended I was his illegitimate and unknown son by a chance encounter and ensuing romance and so wrote a song about how his passing might have affected my mom and then me.

I titled it georgie porgie for it seems the young squire had met this georgie porgie guy numerous times and thought he was a charming uncle type quite taken by his mom while haveing no TRUE IDEA of who he really was . that is untill georgie died.

if you wish you may.. .

GEORGIE PORGIE lofi .

hi-speed GEORGIE PORGIE warp speed ONLY

Frank Ranklin and the Ranktones

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

FRANKIE RANKLIN (Stanky Franks) <<<

Originally posted by arellspencer:

yeah I saw parts. I was non too impressed really.

What would have been better to me would have been a retrospective of his life in detail with the music evolving as the film rolled.

To me LIVE music at a funeral as it were is bad form. all I could thank of was he was ROTTING while they were jamming. and smiling and OY!

I went a different route. I pretended I was his illegitimate and unknown son by a chance encounter and ensuing romance and so wrote a song about how his passing might have affected my mom and then me.

I titled it georgie porgie for it seems the young squire had met this georgie porgie guy numerous times and thought he was a charming uncle type quite taken by his mom while haveing no TRUE IDEA of who he really was . that is untill georgie died.

if you wish you may.. .

GEORGIE PORGIE lofi .

hi-speed GEORGIE PORGIE warp speed ONLY

Sorry Arel, I'd like to hear your song, but I won't run RealCrap on my PC... too many problems with their spyware. Got a link to an MP3?

I don't agree about the live music at a funeral comment - - although a retrospective of George's life would have been cool to see, too.

I've asked my wife, that when I die, she invite all my friends over for a 3 day jam and party to celebrate my graduation into the next phase...

Of course, she refused... she thinks people would think badly of her for doing it. :confused:

That's OK, though, funerals are for the living, not for the dead....

(I just went to my Dad's funeral last week, so it's all still pretty fresh in my mind... I'm glad he moved out of his old, broken, tired body - though, of course, we'll all miss him..)

Phil

Thanks for asking...

He was pretty smart (he taught me basic electronics by the time I was 8).

He was a dairy farmer who ended up with 7 daughters and 2 sons. In those times (mid- to late '50's) women did not commonly help with field work. So he sold it all (when I was about 3) and moved to a small town to work at a Montgomery Wards service department fixing TV's and the like. I used to go there every day after school and test tubes for him & stuff. We were pretty poor; he never made much money & had a huge family to feed.

He was constantly building stuff and creating - he did lots of large oil paintings - always landscapes. Many were of Switzerland and Wisconsin.

He kept 15 - 20 honeybee hives. Every summer we'd spend a couple weeks collecting all the honey & selling it to friends & relatives.

He was feisty, loved to laugh, had an awesome temper, but was a wonderful Dad. The most important thing he taught me that the only thing that could limit what I can do is my own attitudes.

He showed me how to make a go kart from a garden tiller engine and metal conduit. How to build and fly radio-controlled airplanes. How to make igloos. He showed me my first guitar chords - C, G7 and F... these were the only ones he ever needed. It seemed like he could play any song you could name with them, somehow...

I guess "fathers" might be a touchy subject.

My father died a couple of years ago, and while he wasn't perfect (and I've discussed this with my mother), he did the best that he could.

His parents didn't give him a lot of skills, in terms of being a decent human being. They gave him skills to survive.

My father bought me my first guitar (a classic, actually, a Rickenbacker 340, circa 1963 or so) at a pawn shop. He also bought me my first amp at the same time, a Kalamazoo tube amp that kicked ass.

Talked with my mom today, as I try to do at least once a week. For those unaware, she recently remarried after my father died a couple of years ago.

It's interesting, in that as you get older, you get to know your parents in a different light. They become actual human beings, instead of just parents. For me, friendships emerged that weren't possible before I matured. Not that I'm, like, mature or anything...

Anyway, I asked her if she was happy, being married again, and she said that she was, and that perhaps this marriage might be better than the first. She was concerned that I might be taken aback by that statement, but I told her not to worry. I'm glad that she is happy. She deserves it. I could always count on her to be in my corner. Still do.

While we were on the subject of my father, we both agreed that he did the best that he could. He could be a real asshole, because that's what he learned from his father and mother -- that being an asshole is OK behavior. Fortunately, as he grew older, he mellowed a lot, and came to realize that there is more to being a human being than just working, paying bills, and eating three meals a day. He was a child of the depression, and though he never spoke of it, I think he went to bed hungry more than a few times.

So, to make a short story longer, call your mom. Or your dad. Tell them you love them. Now. You never know when you might not be able to do it, again.

I saw it and thought it was great.

And Arrell you need to head down to New Orleans sometimes, every funeral has live music. In fact I think that playing live music at a funeral of a musician is a very cool thing indeed. The tribute show was done a couple of years after his death anyway.

Different strokes I guess.

Jotown:)

"It's all good: Except when it's Great"

The concert for George is a very touching and fitting tribute the the "quiet Beatle".

As you can see, Dhani bears a striking resemblance to his dad.

http://www.tlcgraphic.com/images/WithinYouWithoutYou.gif

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

hey,hey!

There is an MP3 LANK to CLANK at the bottom of the original poste. theere is a REALCRAP lank and an MP3 LANK for the ditty. Clonk it if you wish.

A no name cat played at my brothers send off. badly. in my opine. thats all I could think of. He SUCKS. and why is he sucking up my brothers funeral?

I felt it was bad taste. and I wished it would have been canned music of stuff he would have liked NOT some crappy half assed playing by a dude who needed to practice more. OY!

I wish for folkes to CELEBRATE my life NOT be sad cause I'm like: daid.

I would NEVER play live music at ANYONES funeral. Weddings and births and parties but NOT funerals.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

A WAKE is a different story now.

I WOULD play at a wake.

I would play loud and strong and clear and well.

I would be glad for the persons soul. Glad that it's finally FREE of that cumbersome,frail and wore out body.

I would sing purely so the tones would reach all the way to heaven and shake the dust offen them vestibule beames. thats what I would do.

thanks for lettin' me share.

WARP SPEED ONLY STREAM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IWk9fjsQWSEJ:www.thebeatles.com.br/pics2/wallpaper/wallpaper-dhani01.jpg

"Striking" is an understatement with this pic. I had no idea!

Joe Pine (60's talk show host who sported a wooden leg) to Frank Zappa -- "So, with your long hair, I guess that makes you a woman." Frank Zappa's response -- "So, with your wooden leg, I guess that makes you a table."

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2001&alid=-1

I saw it and was impressed and moved. All of these stellar people knew and played with George and did a fine job playing his great tunes. George wrote some of the Beatles best tunes! I really liked hearing Clapton playing a bluesy eastern motif with that Indian orchestra. Who else could've pulled that off? McCartney singing "All Things Must Pass", a wonderful moment.

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

The only one who looked as though the had gotten younger was drummer extraordinare .. Jim Keltner!!! I have not seen him person for about 5 years..looked great !!

Keltner http://www.geocities.com/peryharry/jimkeltner.html

and Hal Blaine where drummers for many of the hits in the 60/70's ....

Originally posted by Lee Tyler:

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:IWk9fjsQWSEJ:www.thebeatles.com.br/pics2/wallpaper/wallpaper-dhani01.jpg

"Striking" is an understatement with this pic. I had no idea!

"Understatement" is an understatement as far as Dahni goes. The first thing I could think when seeing him was, "Damn! George was REAL impatient with that reincarnation stuff. Couldn't wait until he died!"

I plan to get the DVD. I ran across the broadcast in the middle of Ringo doing "Honey Don't", and had to leave it about a half hour later(it WAS 5:00am!). Seems no matter who it is, all they need do is play a Harrison tune straight up and it'll never sound bad.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Audrey & I saw this the other night - made us stay up late. I thought it was good stuff!

Arell, I think it was essentially a wake. I don't remember seeing a body up on stage. :eek:

I wish they'd have played a bit more of the Ravi Shankar composition, though. Is it uninterrupted on the DVD?

On the DVD there are 2 different versions. One is the 'theatrical version' that interrupts some of the performances with interviews, etc. The other disc is the concert as it happened, with no interruptions. There are some very cool moments, with Ringo and Paul and Eric doing 'While my Guitar Gently Weeps' comes to mind as just one of them.

The DVD costs less than $20 at Best Buy or Wal Mart, so you should just go out and buy one - You'll be glad you did!

- Calfee Jones

Thanks to all for your replies...

I do believe I'm going to have to buy the DVD; that's all there is to it....

The audio off my TV wasn't TOO bad, but it did have a nasty spike at 15.75 KHz, and the bass & treble were rolled off quite a bit.

I ran it thru an EQ with a 'smiley' and that helped, but I'd rather just deal with the DVD version to start with....

And thanks for the comments on Dads & funerals. The hurt is fading, but the memory will be there forever.

Phil

Archived