Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif Rack Question - How to create a split with two sounds?

sleepwalk

Hello guys. I have the original Motif Rack, which I am controlling with a Fatar midi controller keyboard. I would like to be able to play two sounds from the Motif at the same time. I've read the manual. It references splits, but it doesn't really explain how to set one up.

I just want to take a couple of the presets and make a split with them. I want to play the PRE1 073 Jazz Split organ in the right hand. I think first, I have to "unsplit" that one. Not sure how to do that. I just want the sound on the right from that one. Then, I want to create a split with it, by adding the PRE1 118 Stand Up bass sound for the left side of the keyboard. I also need to know how to set the split point. The manual says something about Note Limit Low/High, but it doesn't explain how to set it. Then I would like to save this as a new instrument sound.

Is there anyone that knows how to do this? It seems like something that would be easy to do, but the Motif is really complicated, and the manual doesn't explain a lot of things very well.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Jon

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like "PRE1 073 Jazz Split" is a split Voice. From my work with other models, split Voices in the Motif world are somewhat complicated, as the splits are done at the "element" level, something that is for more advanced programmers. For the typical user, again based on my work with different models, splits are not done within Voices; rather you combine (split, layer) multiple Voices using Multis.

You could create a Multi with a two Voice split that happens to include, as one of its Voices, the Jazz Split which would allow you to easily keep that upper sound, but that approach will not easily let you change the split point to something below what it is in that Voice. The easiest approach is probably to find two regaulr (not already split) Voices that you want to split, and combine them in a Multi.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This may not be super-helpful--I owned a Motif 6 keyboard, which I think is similar to the Motif Rack as far as sounds. Not positive though.

Hopefully I remember the terminology, but the way I did splits was by using the "performances" (iirc) and not the "presets". Performances are made up of one or more presets. Within the performance editing you can set the preset, key ranges for each split, volumes for each etc. The Note Low/High would set the range for each. They can overlap so there isn't really a "split point". You have to set the highest note for the bass to be one semitone lower than the lower note for the organ.

If that Jazz Split "patch" is already split and it's a Preset (which the name suggests), I'm at a bit of a loss as to how they did that. Editing Presets wasn't something I did much. I messed with cutoff, ADSR somewhere but I don't recall if that was in Preset or Performance editing. I'd be inclined maybe to use a different organ if you can find a more "regular" one that sounds similar.

Edit: AnotherScott explains the mystery of the split preset :) Also, I probably mean "voices" when I say "presets"....

Yup. The "Multi" on a rack module is what you would use where you would use a "Performance" or "Mix" on the keyboard-based units. They're not exactly the same, but these are the modes that are designed to allow users to (somewhat) easily mix and match different Voices.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have the Motif XS Rack and it is a little bit complicated. If your controller will send on two different MIDI channels, I'd suggest going that route and having the controller do the heavy lifting. I have my rack set up with the NS2 controlling it on two different channels, so I can summon two sounds for either splits or layers. My rack stays set on the same multi program all the time and I send the bank and program changes from my NS2. It works really well, once you get the hang of the MSB/LSB combinations and can find your sounds. But it really depends on the flexibility of your controller.

Thanks for the replies guys. I was able to set up a MULTI with a bass sound in the left hand and the Jazz Split organ sound I wanted on the right. BUT, as AnotherScott said, I was not able to move the split point. I had to keep the same split point as the original Jazz Split voice, which is not really ideal for me.

I tried transposing the organ part in the MULTI, moving it an octave down, but that didn't work. I just ended up getting the other organ sound from the original Jazz Split in that part of my keyboard.

What can I do to edit this original Jazz Split Voice? Isn't there a way to delete the other sound that I don't want? And then save it under a new name in my USER bank? Then I could create another MULTI from that.

I could go the route Scott suggested of using a non-split voice. But this sound in the Jazz Split preset is the one I really like and really prefer to use.

Dongna, can you help me with editing the split Voice? So I can get rid of the left-hand sound and save the right-hand sound as a new Voice by itself? That is what I really need to do.

What can I do to edit this original Jazz Split Voice?

Sure, you can edit Voices, it's just that it's more complicated than editing Multis. You can edit the Note Limits of the various Elements that make up the Voice to alter the key ranges (and therefore the split point) of the different sounds contained within the Voice. (A Voice can only have a maximum of 4 elements on the old Motif, so it's not as complicated to do this as on later models that can have up to 8, but it's still more complicated than working with Multis.) You can download Voice editors from Yamaha's web site, but I don't know whether they work on current computers (they are listed as being for Windows XP and Mac OS X, don't know what version, but 2006 was a long time ago...)

I'd like to help, but I really don't believe that's the right approach on the Motif to do what you want. That, and I've never edited splits at voice level, so I wouldn't know where to begin.

I really think what you want to do is create a Performance. This is what Performances are there for. You can then add your two voices (up to 4 voices total on the S90ES-- I think it might be more, maybe eight?, on the Motif), each with a specific low and high key range to create whatever split point you want.

The Motif Rack does not have "Performances" but you can do many of the same things in its "Multi" mode. As I said up top, that's the preferred way to do splits. But if you want to do it at the Voice level (by assigining different key ranges to different Elements), it can be done. That's how Yamaha provides some of the stock Voices which are, themselves, comprised of splits. In this case, the OP wants to edit one of those stock Yamaha splits to change the key ranges. From there, he'd be able to use the modified Voice in a Multi, so he could split/layer that modified Voice with any of the other Voices.

Oops, sorry... I assumed there was more compatibility between S90ES and Motif than there apparently is.

There's a lot of similarity between those series. The S and the Motif keyboards differ primarily in the ability of the Motifs to do sampling and sequencing (i.e. the "workstation" features), while the S models have alternate piano sounds. But another variable here is that the rack versions of the Motif are slightly different from the keyboard versions (which is where "multis" vs. "performances" comes into it).

Can I edit a Voice by using the controls on the Motif Rack, or do I have to do it on my computer with a voice editor program?

Sure, you can edit Voices, it's just that it's more complicated than editing Multis. You can edit the Note Limits of the various Elements that make up the Voice to alter the key ranges (and therefore the split point) of the different sounds contained within the Voice. (A Voice can only have a maximum of 4 elements on the old Motif, so it's not as complicated to do this as on later models that can have up to 8, but it's still more complicated than working with Multis.) You can download Voice editors from Yamaha's web site, but I don't know whether they work on current computers (they are listed as being for Windows XP and Mac OS X, don't know what version, but 2006 was a long time ago...)

Can I edit a Voice by using the controls on the Motif Rack, or do I have to do it on my computer with a voice editor program?

you can do it from the front panel

Archived