Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pianist Erroll Garner

Jazz+

Erroll Garner was actually a fairly normal person that had a good ear and a good musical memory. He was surrounded by a musical family from birth. Both parents were musical and his older brothers and sisters all took piano lessons. Erroll also took piano lessons briefly but never got far with learning to read. He was quick at memorizing by watching and by hearing his siblings practice their piano homework... so he could fake it at his lesson. He also learned a great deal about ragtime (stride) by watching and copying the keys as he operated the pedals for his family's player piano. Earl Hines was his influence. Erroll enjoyed playing piano so much that he played almost all the time. He would learn a song by repeatedly listening to the record or having another pianist show him how it went.

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

[video:youtube]

Archived