Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Small 1. Shot samplerm

Tonysounds

Im tryingg to streamline my Freud rig, which is why i was inquiringg about a rackmoited leslie pre. Id like.to replace my sp202 hopefully somethingg smaller. Somethingg with midi so i can control from my kkeyboard. Excuse the typos. Im a breath from launchingg my ipad.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking at hardware one shot samplers so I can ditch the FA-06 and switch to the JP-80. I can't find anything better for my needs than the SP404SX. The dynamic memory allocation is a biggie. If there is room on the SD card you can store and trigger it. I have some some big exit and intro tunes like a long version of the Looney Tunes theme stored on the FA-06 sampler and the SP404sx is a standalone sampler that will handle it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hi guys

I'm in a similar boat for some Reggae/Dub stuff we do (old movie dialogue samples, bleeps, blurbs, sirens, etc, etc.)

Best I've found is to use an iPad with Beatmaker 2 app, Very flexible and powerful sampler in that, can normalize, change start positions, etc. 8 banks of 16 samples each, easy to map to keyboard notes. Can also use Korg Gadget with Abu Dabhi drum sampler, but that doesn't do chokes.

With the Beatmaker 2, you can have just about infinite length loops, and drop them in from Dropbox. Once you figure out the convoluted file system, it's pretty easy. Also, you can have background songs cued up on your iPad for set-breaks, makes transitions to breaks less jarring.

Other than that, hardware wise there is an Akai MPX16. Looks like that does 16 pads, saved on SD card. Never tried it though, can't comment.

I do a heap of samples using an iPad and Sample Lab. Works great for me with long, short, one shot and looped samples.

No midi control though but thought I'd mention it in case you haven't yet chucked your iPad in the trash and wanted to investigate.

Maybe 10 years back HGTV was in our town doing one of those home makeover shows and if memory serves, the family had a special needs kid. Mthey wanted to put animals on the wall and have it make the sounds of the animal when you hit it. They asked me and a friend for help with that part of it, and of course the budget was tight. We ended up using drum triggers, an Alesis trigger to midi module, and whatever the cheapest Akai MPC was at the time....900 maybe? It was really inexpensive and easy to set up with the single shot samples on the SD card, set to auto load on power up, so nobody had to know anything about it, just turn it on and it worked. Since it was for the show, I believed we managed to get some good discounts as well.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Tony and Ed I still have that SP404SX that I'm willing to sell! :)

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

The dynamic memory allocation is a biggie. If there is room on the SD card you can store and trigger it. I have some some big exit and intro tunes like a long version of the Looney Tunes theme stored on the FA-06 sampler and the SP404sx is a standalone sampler that will handle it.

I have one for the same reasons - space is limited only by the SD card and there are no loading times. Compare that to the SamplePad Pro our drummer uses where he has to change banks halfway through a song so that the next kit he needs will have loaded in time!

Archived