Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earthquake!!!

mak1457

No, I don't live in SouthCal. I live in Kansas. But at 7:02 local time, a lot of us got shaken awake by a nice "little" tremor. I was driving to work so I didn't feel anything but that's all my customers talked about the first three hours this morning. One person told me she was too scared to sleep any more so she came in. I guess the quake registered at 5.2. The epicenter's about 80 miles south of us in Oklahoma but it was felt all the way from Texas to Illinois. The way people were talking, I was amazed I didn't feel anything.

I suppose all you from California would probably think a 5.2 earthquake is small stuff. On a more serious note, I wish they'd stop doing whatever is causing this to happen. If I wanted to live in earthquake country, I'd move to California.

Hammond XK1-c, Hammond XPK-100, Yamaha FC-7, Spacestation V3

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never felt any when I lived in the midwest, but did after I moved in the late eighties to the west coast. A culture *shock* for sure.

"Fracking" quakes.

:mad:

The scariest part for you guys is that your buildings are not built with those in mind, so there would be more structural damage at lesser seismic magnitude. Plus it was a shallower depth; therefore it spread out to a larger distance.

:sick:

I hope everyone is safe there!

:o

My thoughts exactly. That's why I want them to stop with this fracking nonsense.

Just FYI, the correlation is between waste water disposal sites, and earthquakes. Not so much the actual Fracking wells themselves.

There are a number of motivated folks working on alternative ways of disposing of "produced" waste water that doesn't involve pumping it back into the ground.

Outside of Alaska, the biggest earthquake in the lower 48 ever recorded was in Missouri. Like someone said, at least here in SoCal we have building codes that account for the likelihood of quakes. I suspect that's not the case elsewhere. There have even been two 5.2's in NYC in the last 300 years! Now that's scary...

On behalf of our Kiwi cousins AKA those from the Shakey Ilses many of whom live with quakes on regular basis, I was staying in post quake building code hotel in Wellington back in the '90's when a 5.2 quake woke me up just before 6am. For those not used to quakes waking up with the bed going from side to side and the mini bar rattling its contents was a rather unsettling experience.

It was briefly mentioned on the 6am and 7am news and didn't rate mention thereafter. Guess it is what you get used to.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I lived in SoCal from 1973 to 1992 and only felt a couple of minor shakes in all that time. I was on I-5 in northern California during the Loma Prieta quake of 1989 and didn't feel a thing.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Whittier and Northridge Quakes were the biggest for me while living in Southern CA. We were up with our 4 day old son when the Northridge hit about 4:00am. We felt that one good even living in Buena Park, quite a ways from the epicenter.

I recall that even seven months after the October 1989 San Francisco quake, there would often be successive after shocks that would hit around the 5:00 to 6:00 a.m. time frame.

I recall the bed would shake, the clock would fall over on the night table, then I would just go back to sleep.

I was about a mile from the BART station and Oakland.

I moved to Portland, Oregon, and then a few years later I would be on the fourth floor of an apartment building and feel yet another quake. Idaho does not get many but I think Seattle and Portland are going to start seeing more.

:(

Ok. My earthquake story.

I grew up in the Sacramento valley of California.

Those that haven't been out here should realize that

it's not your average valley. It's about a two hour, flat out freeway drive across

and stretched for hundreds of miles north and south. And it just keeps going farther south. Maybe a 500 mile drive.

We never get quakes. We hear about them in the Bay Area (San Francisco)

And also in the mountains. Where my story take place.

We went camping all the time in the summer when I was a kid.

Fishing, boating, fishing, campfires, more fishing.

Anyway I got up late one morning. I can't remember why but I got left

behind. Basically the best fishing is at the crack of dawn.

Anyway, I'm sitting around kinda peaved, reading a book.

My mom is there too reading her book. Trying to stay in the shade.

Everybody else is out on the water.

And it gets quiet.

Real quiet.

No birds. Not unusual sometimes. Right?

Then I hear the wind coming up through the trees.

It was a pretty still day and kind of warm so..

I can hear it coming. But why aren't the trees?

WHAM. WHAM WHAM

The camp table just jumps like it got hit by a car.

I can hear it cracking.

Then the whole world shakes. I can't stand up!

I've got to hold on to the table to keep from being tossed to the ground.

Now all the trees are making noise. It's loud. And it won't stop.

That breaze in the trees I heard coming was the quake front moving

towards me.

This goes on for about 20-30 terrifying seconds.

My mom and I are staring at each other with that "Oh my God!" look

in our eyes.

Then it just stops.

Nothing.

Quiet.

Then the noise of people yelling. Dogs barking.

Cars starting.

I think everyone was deciding right then and there to go home.

Needless to say the guys out on the water were unaware of anything.

We stayed for a few more days.

Only a few aftershocks.

I'm fairly certain that if we were in a building there it would have just

explodes into little sticks. It was that big of a hit.

I've felt others that were more the rubbery moving around type

but nothing like that time in the mountains.

John

After what you tell, I guess I should feel very lucky over here in southern Scandinavia. A few years ago, I was awakened by a very light tremor caused by an earthquake 80 miles away. It was a 4.4, and among the biggest earthquakes ever recorded i Denmark. It was (luckily) very trivial by world standards, and it only caused a very slight movement of objects, making almost no sound, but it was one of the strangest - even most humbling - phenomena, I have ever experienced. Talk about light sleepers.

Cheers, Morten

I have lived in So Cal since 1998. Even though we get thousands of quakes a year, I have only felt a few.

Given the choice of thousands of quakes or insane tornadoes... shake me up, baby!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I recall the bed would shake, the clock would fall over on the night table, then I would just go back to sleep. :(

That used to happen to me a LOT in college. :love::laugh::facepalm:

Today? Not so much. :idk

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I recall the bed would shake, the clock would fall over on the night table, then I would just go back to sleep. :(

Let me guess, you got rid of the night table?

:idk

I lived in Pittsburg (Kansas) for several years during my college days. Lots of my friends reported the tremor as well.

5.6 mag. Is that correct?

That's correct. 5.6, based closed to Pawnee, OK. About 50 miles northwest of where I live. We certainly felt it.

Interesting. I've heard reports that people felt it in Dallas, but being that far away, it may not have been felt by everyone. We have lighter earthquakes here in Oklahoma fairly regularly. Some people feel them, some people don't. I haven't met anyone that lives here in Tulsa that didn't feel that one, though.

Could be I was in the car at the time. Usually folks here talk about it if they felt it. Not at word so far......
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Yeah, they don't like it when you just roll over and go to sleep.

:D

Let me guess, you got rid of the night table?

:idk

I got rid of the clock.

:laugh:

Even though my house wasn't built to earthquake standards, I figure being built in 1910, and my last house in 1865, if they've made it all that time with all the earthquakes and no damage, I should be in good shape. Of course we're on the New Madrid fault and scientists say some day we'll all be destroyed. In 1812 it made the Mississippi River flow backwards. That was over 200 years ago. Hopefully it holds out another 200 years.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived