Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New court case - Remastering creates a new copyright if...

Jazzmammal

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a really interesting case. Thanks for posting it.

Especially interesting about the plaintiff (ABS) having their expert's testimony thrown out; he was essentially unable to provide a valid argument for their position that a remastered recording is not a separate work. Their whole case was based around that position. You'd think they'd have worked it through first...

It seems utterly clear to me that a remastered recorded is a new, copyrightable sound-work, but it's the kind of issue I did not necessarily expect a court to agree with or understand. I'm glad they did.

I'll be watching this with interest. Thanks again for posting it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

You'd be amazed MOI to hear about how many people go to court without a clue or a plan. I read quite a few tax related cases and it's on both sides. Several cases where the judge completely dumps on IRS attorneys for making stupid arguments and several others where the petitioner was a complete idiot and gets steamrollered by the government.

But this is a free country, within certain limits we all have the right to go to court for basically anything.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Possibly but probably not enough to qualify. The judge wrote about significant audio differences that involved taste, artistic decisions, etc. Simply changing formats and other pure technical stuff would not be enough.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Interesting that there is a spate of cases trying to recover money from the past when Randy Newman's quote, thanks to Pandora's box is more relevant now than in the past:

"Who would want to break into the music business? It's like a bank that has already been robbed"

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Archived