Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody with experience of Midimini's?

Gary75

From what I have read they are based on Rev2 Minimoog boards, so I am hoping schematics certainly on the non SE Midi upgrades will allow me to recalibrate it and fault find if needs be. I'll pop the hood and make sure any connectors aren't loose and check to see if it's original Moog boards or SE cloned ones.

From what I read, SE aren't too forthcoming on technical service details however I have not contacted them.

Anyway my dog seemed highly intrigued by it's arrival.

image.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding is some midiminis have the original minimoog boards and some (maybe most) do not. So first thing is to figure out what you have which should not be too difficult. Sorry I cant help if they are the SE cloned minimoog boards. As you said there's not much documentation available for these but maybe someone here has it.

On a side note I'm in the midst of integrating my model D with some CV/modular equipment I recently acquired. I just added a V-Trigger jack and now need to modify the scaling circuit (waiting on some parts) so that it scales correctly with both external midi boards and it's own keyboard. This is really the first time I've done anything significant to the minimoog as it's been extremely reliable over the 32+ years I've had it. I don't think I've even had to calibrate it for 10 years.

I am finding it extremely easy to understand and work on if that's any consolation to you. BTW nice doggie!

Many model D owners get frustrated toggling between the standalone minimoog and the integration in their modular because the keyboard CV isn't 1V/oct and the VCOs have to be re-calibrated.

My early RAM Minimoog has a trimpot for scaling the keyboard CV, which was eliminated on later units. This is very easy to add - on the keyboard/EG circuit board, the junction of R20/R22 ties to the base of Q11. If you remove R20/R22 from Q11 and put a 100 ohm trimpot between R20 and R22, then tie the wiper of the trimpot to the base of Q11 then you can scale the keyboard CV to 1V/oct. After you calibrate the VCOs to the new keyboard CV scale, then it will work in both worlds.

Thanks Michael. I found a link to an old posting on Analog Heaven that credited you with this very same technique :thu:. I just ordered the 100 ohm pots yesterday so probably I'm looking at mid next week.

I'm also going to replace the OSC CV input connector with a transfer switch type jack (also waiting on part) in order to disconnect the keyboard when controlling pitch via external board and also to have it control the filter tracking.

Thanks Michael. I found a link to an old posting on Analog Heaven that credited you with this very same technique :thu:. I just ordered the 100 ohm pots yesterday so probably I'm looking at mid next week.

I'm also going to replace the OSC CV input connector with a transfer switch type jack (also waiting on part) in order to disconnect the keyboard when controlling pitch via external board and also to have it control the filter tracking.

Cool. And don't forget the glide processor, a key to that sound.

The 1st ones were Studioelectronics "Midimoog"s !

Those used original Minimoog circuit boards pulled from Minimoog Ds Studioelectronics bought for cheap.

Midimoog

When they ran out of original parts they started cloning Minimoog circuit boards and used those in their now renamed "Midimini".

There might be models showing a mix of original and cloned circuit boards until there were cloned ones only.

When it became to complex cloning Minimoog circuit boards, they introduced the SE-1.

Conclusion:

Only the Midimoog is a real Minimoog-D in a 19" rack format.

Now, if there is a big sonic difference between the Midimoog and Midimini, that´s a different story I´m unable to comment,- but probably not.

A.C.

Doh! Can you stear me to the details please?

Doh! Can you stear me to the details please?

Have not done that modification before.

Uh... not sure! I'm at work and don't have the service manual.

I've got one. Mine's a midimini with moog boards. You can open it up and look inside. I've talked to Greg and Mark at SE a few times. Great guys and I'm sure if you call them they will answer any questions you might have. They're like us...keyboard nuts who love this stuff. First thing you should do is to calibrate it yourself if it wasn't done before you got it. if you've never owned a mini before, you'll be surprised at what this will do for it. I do mine every few months. It's like the sound of your piano right after the tuner leaves. Everything is focused and responds better.

I did own a minimoog 20 years ago but I was just a kid and it was fine.

Is the calibration procedure the same as to be found on the minimoog?

I'll compress air all the pots and switch clean them as well as check for any dislodged connections before I start.

Yeah...just like a mini. I love the thing and use it all the time. It does a lot of bass duty around here. Even if I use a fender bass, a lot of times I'll layer a lil mini under it for more bottom goodness. It's so nice just to be able to grab a knob and tweak the cutoff or decay for the tune you're doing at the time.

Archived