Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VAN THE MAN!

whitefang

Van Morrison is 71 years old today.

Although not a guitar player( that I know of), he still did many tunes and lots of music in various genres that a lot of us really liked. One of the better and more distinctive voices in music in the late '60's and early '70's, and my KIDS even like a lot of his stuff, and well respected among his peers.

Hope he has a happy! :cool:

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Van Morrison is 71 years old today.

Although not a guitar player( that I know of), he still did many tunes and lots of music in various genres that a lot of us really liked. One of the better and more distinctive voices in music in the late '60's and early '70's, and my KIDS even like a lot of his stuff, and well respected among his peers.

Hope he has a happy! :cool:

Whitefang

Happy Birthday Van! Whitefang, there's all kinds of examples of him playing guitar. Mostly a strummer from what I've seen. Here is him performing "Into the Mystic." He does some picking on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPSBzGEklE

I stand corrected. But I've also seen a film of him sitting at a drum kit. Just hitting the high-hat and a tap of the snare every now and then while singing with eyes closed. So it seems he's pretty versitile...

LARRY--Just "Moondance" will do just fine. I DID know a guy once who thought the song's title was "Heart-Strings That Play Soft And Low" however, so it's all good ;)

Whitefang

Coincidentally, it was the SAME GUY I won that free joint from on that bet about Hank Williams' "Move It On Over". ;)

Also interesting is that "Moondance" and Van's "Tupelo Honey" and "Into The Mystic" are about the ONLY "non-rocker" type tunes that still get regular airplay on the local "classic rock" station 'round here. Shows how widespread and eclectic Van's appeal was/is. ;)

Whitefang

What great songs!

I still remember playing `Brown Eyed Girl` with the `other` band I was in in N.Y.-later than the group I usually mention. We played at a sports bar in a pretty rural area-the band thought it went well. The audience-well after our gig one guy walked up to me and gave me that `pat on the shoulder`, like some people get just before they get a bullet in the head. I think that meant I could leave without fighting my way out.

Let`s not forget `Domino`-IMO one of the best brass arrangements ever in pop-certainly for the time.

Happy birthday Van!

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

@ Skipclone, I'm sure that big guy would be tapping me on the shoulder too LOL! My version of the Brown Eyed Girl lead/riff is simplified but it is still recognizable whenever I start the song or repeat it...as long as it sounds good, it is good IMHO. I know the note for note guys would [pick] on me but that's OK, I can take it! If you ever listen to the guitar chords to Pretty Woman by Roy Orbison closely, ask yourself if you have heard any other player ever play them? Like me, they usually just play the normal chords that go with the song and the riff, as opposed to the recorded chords...Back to Van +1 on Domino! :cool:
Take care, Larryz

Sadly, "Domino" is one Van tune that was usually heard only on the "oldies" station. Now, I contend that "classic rock" is a term that caters to "boomers in denial" that can't hack thinking of their favorite tunes as "oldies". :D

And also sadly, since the "oldies" station in my area has "updated" to including many tunes from the mid to late '80's, "Domino" has faded from their playlist. :(

Whitefang

PS: Depending on your interpretation of the word "classic", I feel ALL rock'n'roll songs from ANY time period are essentially "classic". :)

+1 Classic Rock, can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. I like oldies but do get tired of a solid dose of it that one of my buds listens to for hours on end...I like a mix like: Steppenwolf, Cream, Doors, Elvis, Orbison, Dion, Eagles, Beatles, CCR, Cocker, Taylor, Croce, Beach Boys, Fats, Berry, Rivers, Stones, Morrison, Joplin, Dylan, BB, Clapton, Charles, SRV, Jimi, Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Country, Country Rock, Soul, Old Rock and Roll, Rockabilly, etc., etc...anything from a blast from the past...we're talking 50's to half way through the 90's...that's about all I care to listen to anymore and I'm a boomer LOL! :pop:
Take care, Larryz

Eh?---

My cable TV service offers a string of channels that plays only music(no videos) in more genres I thought existed.

One has "classic rock", and several channels up has one called "Solid Gold" which usually plays what many consider "oldies".

One night, while shifting between the two, I heard Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze( '67) on the "classic rock" channel, then switched to the other just in time to catch the Small Faces doing "Itchykoo Park"( ALSO '67) on the "oldies" channel! :o

So, please make up MY mind, willya? :D

Whitefang

As I liked(and STILL like) both tunes, it really doesn't matter to me.

It does however, raise the question:

WHEN and WHY does a tune become an "oldie" and/or a "classic rock" tune? And, WHAT'S the difference, really?

Whitefang

For me it's oldies when all they play is 50's stuff. Some of it I like and some of it is OK but too much of it is too much. Example: A White Sport Coat and a Pink Carnation...

Classic Rock starts throwing in some 60's Rock and breaks things up a bit. You will still hear some 50's but they don't focus on it.

Example: In A Gadda Da Vida

I think it changes with each decade and the station managers, advertisers, etc...so I like the Classic Rock stations and they can throw in some 70's 80' and 90's too. For me they are considered oldies as well...I guess it just depends on when, why and what questions each of us think about the genres and I think the same thing happens with Blues, Jazz, Pop, etc., stations... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

As I recall, the "oldies" station here never played ONLY '50's. They covered the mid '50's( when Rock'n'roll was "officially" considered commercially viable) to the threshold of "psychadelia". You might hear for instance, "At The Hop" followed by "Kind Of A Hush" followed by "Heavy Music", but nothing past mid '67.

Those periods generally followed the idea of school semesters or car models. Like, a 2016 Chevrolet Equinox went on the market in Sept. 2015 and like that. Or my senior year began in Sept. '68, and we graduated in June '69. The '50's in rock was generally from the mid '50's up until The Beatles hit the scene('64 generally in the U.S.) THAT'S when big change came to the music. Remember, one of the "big hits" a year earlier was "Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport". :D

But, I do recall liking that tune, so..... ;)

Whitefang

You would have been out of luck back in those days if they never played anything past '67 LOL! I graduated in June of '68 and remember cruising around listening to 50's and 60's music in my old '60 Ford Fairlane on the AM station I liked best. There were only 3 to choose from at that time and they all played the same stuff...A couple of the 1st tunes I really liked at the time that broke free of 50's stuff was I Can't Get No Satisfaction '65 by the Stones and Gloria '64 by Them with Van Morrison singing it... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

How do you mean "out of luck"? I suppose I should have mentioned above that I was referring to about the late '80's to the late '90's when that "oldies" station I was referring to was on FM, not AM, and I'd go there when the other stations were playing crap I didn't care for.

Back in those days, NONE of the AM stations(we only had three to chose from too) played anything older than a few months old at the time, and anytime they delved into anything from the '50's was a "special" deal. :D (ie: "Keener" 13 presents.."A GOLDEN OLDIE"--usually sung by a chorus of four or five voices).

And recall---probably NOBODY knew at the time that Van Morrison was the guy who sang "Gloria" as the vocalist for THEM. AND I only recall that the only THEM song I cared for was "Here Comes The Night". ;) I didn't become familiar with "Gloria" until The Shadows Of Night" covered it in '66. That version was a staple in just about every "basement band's" playlist. Wish I had a dollar for every time I played that thing! :D

Whitefang

^Since you graduated in 69 and the station never played anything past mid 67, you would have missed about two good years of new music (Perhaps it was a bad pun). I loved new music back in those days, I can't say the same these days on AM or FM! Does anybody still listen to AM?

Our AM stations covered the 50's and 60's up through my graduation in '68. +1 anything from the 50's was introduced as a Golden Oldie. There was more Elvis, Fats, Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Berry, etc., until the Beatles hit the scene with others like The Stones and The Animals. The 50's stuff was just not cool anymore for my fellow teeny boppers...I still loved the older stuff and took some ribbing over my taste in music (the old folks did not consider it music at the time LOL!).

I thought I would throw in Gloria again just to keep on point with the Van The Man thread...I remember seeing Van Morrison singing Gloria on one of those old Dick Clark shows and many of the kids knew who he was even if they didn't remember his name (same thing happened with John Fogerty). Nobody ever referred to him, they just talked about Creedence Clearwater Revival, Creedence or CCR...+1 I remember the 1st garage band I played in and the 1st song out of the chute was G-L-O-R-I-A! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

THe memories you guys dust off. THis era I remember listening for the latest from the Supremes, Neil Diamond, Gary Lewis and the Playboys (I think that was the name) and Glen Campbell. Mama's and Papa's, CCR, BTO, Amboy Dukes and more. Magic time for music. For some reason Pop or Puff the Magic Dragon just jumped into my mind. Better get back to work. Jim

(sigh) I meant by the LATE '80's and early NINETIES the "oldies" station 'round these parts never played anything past mid '67. The "classic rock" station had that as IT'S "starting point".

By the way Jim---CCR--BTO? Not at the same time as I recollect. ;)

Whitefang

@ Jim, +1 CCR was active '67 through '72...BTO was active in '73 during that same time period. This was a magic time in music for me too! :cool:

@ Fang, Van Morrison goes back to '58 playing in bands but didn't record anything until '63, nothing any of us would recognize until he recorded Baby Please Don't Go in '64 with Them, Here Comes The Night and Mystic Eyes also with Them in '65. All Top 40 hits in the US. Then later in '65, we all discovered the B side of Baby Please Don't Go and guess what it is? G-L-O-R-I-A which he wrote in '63 and recorded in '64, released in '65, and re-released in '66, so I guess he qualifies in the under the '67 "starting point" for your oldies station, although Them, at the time, were known for a genre they called "garage rock"... :cool:

ps. He sang Brown Eyed Girl on American Bandstand in '67 (not Gloria, as I had mentioned in my earlier post), but there is a video of him doing Gloria live in '65 (which I think is at a concert in Paris) while he was still with Them. He left he band and went solo in '66.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0aHmMfZTEw <---here the video of Van Morrison with Them in '65 singing Gloria in front of a large audience... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

That mid '67 "starting point" was for the "classic rock" station Larry. As that's around the time JIMI started making some waves.

As for G-L-O-R-I-A, really nobody (at least 'round these parts) heard the tune until THE SHADOWS OF NIGHT put out their cover in '66, and it soon became a staple of the thousands of "basement" and "garage" bands that cropped up around then. The only "basement" band in Lincoln Park to ever GET anywhere was the MC-5. ;)

Incidentally, a local Detroit area TV dance show, "Swinging Time"( out of Windsor Ont.) that a buddy of mine got on (in the dance crowd) was on there when THEM appeared, but of course, that was '68 and Van was no longer with the group. Now, are you trying to tell me you and your buddies were aware of who VAN MORRISON was BEFORE he left THEM and went solo? I remember seeing that BANDSTAND show on which he premiered "Brown Eyed Girl" and thinking "What a COOL SONG!", but at the time had no idea he was ever with THEM. ;)

Whitefang

I'm trying to tell you many people including my friends knew who Van Morrison was before he left Them and went solo...the answer is yes! We just didn't know his name in '66 and knew him only as the lead singer of Them (until he came on American Bandstand as Van Morrison singing Brown Eyed Girl in '67 and we put two and two together LOL!). He played Gloria and headlined here in San Francisco at the Fillmore in '66 for me and my buddies. They had also played the song (and others) at the Whiskey A Go Go in LA, and their guest warm up band was The Doors. The Doors jammed with Them for a very long live version as the two bands played together. The Doors went on to record their version in '68. Them was part of the British invasion (even though they were from Ireland) and toured the US in May '66 before the band broke up and Morrison went solo. I guess they didn't make it out to Detroit LOL!

Gloria was being covered by others here in the US in '65 before Morrison got here with his original version playing it live in '66. The earliest cover was by The Grants in '65. The most notable was The Bobby Fuller Four in '65 (the same guy that did I Fought The Law and the Law Won). The song was better known in '65 across the pond as a major hit in the UK in '65. At #10 in the UK, Gloria was better liked than the A side Baby Please Don't Go. But the original recording was also well known in the US by Them in '65 charting number 93 on the Billboard top 100. It charted at #71 when it was re-released in '66. The Shadows of the Night had a big hit at the time in '66 as well charting at #10. That's probably why you know it better by The Shadows of the Night... :cool:

ps. I forgot to mention as a side note, that Jimmy Page was the rhythm guitar player on the original Gloria recording and I can't figure out why as it only had 3 chords LOL! :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Funny how that works sometimes. Like you saying it wasn't until Van did "Brown Eyed Girl" on Bandstand in '67 and y'all put 2 and 2 together. I remember when Jeff Beck put his JEFF BECK BAND together and put out the "Truth" LP. in '68. We all sat around in school and agreed that "someday, that GUY he has singing for him will be bigger than the REST of the band!" Heh!

Yeah, we all of course know NOW that "that guy" was ROD STEWART, but at the time, had NO idea who it was. Just that he had a "cool voice" :D

When HE went solo a lot of people asked, "Hey! Isn't that the guy who used to sing for Jeff Beck?" :D

And in the future, just "copy and paste" Wikipedia. It'll save you a lot of time. ;)

Whitefang

I'm not going to copy and paste future posts from Wikipedia articles as it would take up too much space when trying to keep up with some of your posting errors LOL! I know you already look up tons of stuff for yourself on Wiki and that's a good thing. I do check things out before posting anything to one of your threads as you do like to get [pickey]...

It is true that most of us do not know who the lead singer is when listening to a new band like Them. But that doesn't mean we don't know who they are or that we do or do not like their lead singer, even when we do not know his/her name. It takes time to learn who the lead singers are in new groups like CCR, Cream, Them, The Who, Steppenwolf, The Stones, The Beatles, The Byrds, The Animals, The Doors, The Beach Boys etc., on any song. Without looking it up, can you tell me who the lead singer is for another garage rock band, Question Mark and the Mysterians? He's from your neck of the woods...

<---here he is...

However we do learn who they are if we are interested in their material from one year to the next and/or later in life when we do some research. It really doesn't matter who the future stars will be, it only matters that you like the band at the time. Prior to '65 I never made it to the Fillmore as I didn't have a car. After buying my 1st car, my buddies and I made the 50 mile trip to see lots of bands and future stars that were new and on the radio at the time. I won't bother looking them up and posting them for you...

"Creedence Clearwater Revival, often shortened to Creedence and abbreviated as CCR, was an American rock band active in the late 1960s and early 1970s. The band consisted of lead vocalist, lead guitarist, and primary songwriter John Fogerty, his brother rhythm guitarist Tom Fogerty, bassist Stu Cook and drummer Doug Clifford. Their musical style encompassed the roots rock,[1] swamp rock,[2] and blues rock[3] genres. Despite their San Francisco Bay Area origins, they portrayed a Southern rock style, with lyrics about bayous, catfish, the Mississippi River, and other popular elements of Southern United States iconography, as well as political and socially-conscious lyrics about topics including the Vietnam War.[4] The band performed at 1969's famed Woodstock Festival.

After four years of chart-topping success, the group disbanded acrimoniously in late 1972"

"Their second album, BachmanTurner Overdrive II, was released in December 1973 and became a massive hit in the US (peaking at #4 in 1974) and their native Canada. It was originally to be titled "Adrenaline Rush"."

^For example see the cut and pastes in red above: I think I could safely say that BTO and CCR's music was being played during the same time period on our radios. I wouldn't feel it necessary to post the two articles (or portions thereof) just to be able to say that on one of your threads... :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Well, one COULD also safely say that Jimi Hendrix's and Aerosmith's music was being played during the same time period on our radios. ;) In fact, I've heard it done! :)

My previous statement about CCR and BTO was about both bands not existing in the public CONSCIOUSNESS at the same time. As CCR broke up in '72, and BTO not releasing their first LP until '73, I stand by that statement. ;)

Yeah, like I also said, we(the guys I hung with) didn't know WHO that singer for Jeff Beck was, but we thought he was cool. Until they go solo( IF they do) nobody really knows who does(or did) the vocals for many bands. Or else, like in the case of JANIS JOPLIN, whose name WASN'T "upfront" originally, they DO become a focal point for the public. (until Janis was determined to be the MAIN reason people liked the group, they were only billed as "Big Brother and The Holding Company, or in another case, when his personal behavior became bigger news than the music, NObody knew THE DOORS lead singer's name was JIM MORRISON).

No, I don't know the name of ? and The Mysterians lead singer, and don't much care. All I know is remembering reading somewhere that HE claimed he was from the planet Mars. !

I can understand you not making the trip to the Fillmore prior to '65, as not many(IF any) fourteen year olds HAD cars, even in California back then. And....WAS the Fillmore even a rock music venue that year? I don't know much about it, really. I know that OUR version of it here in the "D", was called The GRANDE BALLROOM( pronounced "grandee") and was called that since it was built in the '20's. An old "dime a dance" hall where, as I said once, my Mom met my Sire. :)

What also confuses people is that there are some groups who had similar sounding lead vocalists but NOT the same guy. Example: There was a band in the early '70's called PAVLOV'S DOG which had a lead singer who sounded a lot like RUSH's GEDDY LEE, who came later, but some thought WAS the guy from Pavlov in a new band!

Whitefang

The Fillmore West really didn't start until '68...I was 15 in 1965 and got my leaners permit at 15 1/2 so your 14 year old math is a little fuzzy LOL! I was 16 in '66 and was driving to local dance hall dives that had live bands (none as famous as the ones I mentioned above). At 18 in '68 I was a senior in high school and my buddies all had cars two 58 Chevys, a 57 Chevy a 56 Chevy and my 60 Ford...I was the outcast. But yes, the Fillmore was a rock concert venue from it's beginning. I remember seeing a group called the Seeds and the lead guitar man filled the auditorium with his Fender Twin Reverb amp. I liked the way it filled the whole club so much that I went out and bought mine...

I didn't see anything in your post while you were talking about CCR and BTO with regard to "public consciousness" but I'm pretty sure they both were in the "public consciousness in 72 and 73...at least on the radio anyway. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

Archived