Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Upgrading sounds using MX61

GREGHUX

I've been contemplating upgrading my gear for quite some time now. I don't gig much any more but have both a P150 and P200 Yamaha weighted action pianos. Yes they are old, but I like the action (particularly on the P150). I've been thinking about getting myself say a VR09 or MX61 and using that to give me an upgraded piano sound plus organs. The new keyboad would be used to drive the non-piano sounds especially organ, the P150 to drive the piano and EP sounds. I'm assuming this is possible (as I know it is NOT possible on a Nord Electro 4 or 3 though it is on the 5). I've played the Roland VR09 and for the money the organs are great and the EPs pretty good too, but the pianos lacking. I haven't been able to try an MX61 but given it is a Yamaha I would think the pianos are superior, and the organs inferior (especially given the lack of drawbars).

But I do like Yamaha gear. The order of importance is Piano Sounds, EP Sounds, Organ Sounds (though they are all pretty close). A Nord Electro 5D is a bit pricey especially given I don't gig much nowadays!

I believe there is an app. that will allow virtual drawbars on the MX61.

Thoughts?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[...] I haven't been able to try an MX61 but given it is a Yamaha I would think the pianos are superior,[...]

Thoughts?

Sound quality is subjective, and that's particularly true of the nuances of piano. I strongly suggest that you play an MX before making a decision.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

I strongly suggest that you play an MX before making a decision.

Definitely. I wasn't overwhelmed with the MX at all, especially in the piano department. YMMV.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I believe there is an app. that will allow virtual drawbars on the MX61.

If you mean an iPhone/iPad app, no, but there are apps that give you self-contained drawbar organs (i.e. Garageband, Galileo). For that matter, there are apps with some nice piano and EP sounds.

If you want drawbar style organ and decent pianos/EPs in a non/semi-weighted board, if the Roland doesn't do it for you, I think the next least expensive to look at is probably the Kurzweil Artis7.

Or if apps give you what you want, then maybe an inexpensive board/controller with a feel you like could be the way to go.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have both an MX61 and a VR-09.

The MX does come with YC-3B, but you have to run it in a DAW. It's a cool VST instrument, but not the handiest solution on the planet.

For the money, you absolutely can not beat the VR. While the acoustic and some electric EP settings are somewhat lacking, the real-time controls make them easily tweakable.

I do find the second acoustic preset on the VR GrandPiano  the most useable.

And for Rhodes, I'm usually using Vintage EP and *Tremolo EP2. For Whirly, I real-time tweak *Pure Wurly.

Hope that helps.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I would be looking at a Motif XS module if you have a controller you like.

For organs , I would look at the Roland VK8m module on the used market. It has a lot going for it, but you have to know how to get the most out of it.

Sounds like the mx61 is probably not the way to go. Agree that I was quite impressed with the VR09 but not the piano sound (though it was ok). My theory was the Yamaha piano sound would be pretty much lifted from their digital pianos but sounds like that is not the case.

I'll check out the kurzweil. Perhaps I should splash out and get a NORD 5D as a gift to myself for my 50th!

The Kurz Artis 7 is a cool board if you can get on with the action. Kurz use a half-and-half action (Fatar TP/8) in an attempt to be suitable for both piano and organ, and imho fails on both counts.

And you'll have to decide on the quality of the sounds of course - consensus here is that the organs are not quite as good as Nords, which in turn are a little behind the likes of Hammond, Crumar etc. The pianos are an improvement on the old triple-strike, but don't suit everyone's tastes.

Price is between the VR09 and Electro 5D. (Personally, I'd be tempted to save up a bit longer for the Nord, gaining internal PSU and lighter weight, but losing pitch/mod wheels and controller functionality).

Another choice would be a second-hand Nord Stage Classic or EX - which can take the latest pianos (without some resonance features). Organ is not the latest and greatest, but probably on a par with the Kurz (but no drawbars/sliders).

All very personal...

Good luck, and let us know which way you go.

Cheers, Mike.

The Kurz Artis 7 is a cool board if you can get on with the action. Kurz use a half-and-half action (Fatar TP/8) in an attempt to be suitable for both piano and organ, and imho fails on both counts.

Price is between the VR09 and Electro 5D. (Personally, I'd be tempted to save up a bit longer for the Nord, gaining internal PSU and lighter weight, but losing pitch/mod wheels and controller functionality).

Good point about the the Kurz action, but in context of the alternatives, lots of people likewise complain about the VR09 action (smaller keys, weaker response toward the rear of the keys) and the Nord SW (highly sprung), so action can be a concern with all these boards.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good point about the the Kurz action, but in context of the alternatives, lots of people likewise complain about the VR09 action [...] and the Nord SW [...], so action can be a concern with all these boards.

Ain't that the truth. We're never satisfied...

Cheers, Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

FA06 gives you roughly the organ of the VR09, including individual drawbar adjustment, but not the "real time" instant drawbar access of the VR09. It does, though, give you their upgraded (SuperNatural) piano sound, and also alternate older (SRX-based) piano sounds you could load into it. If you don't need the real-time drawbar control and if the piano sound was the only thing that was putting you off about the VR09, it could be a viable alternative.

The MOXF6 still doesn't give you drawbar control, but it does give you more in the way of available organ sounds, at least if you install the optional flash card, i.e.

http://easysounds.eshop.t-online.de/MOTIF-XF-/-XS-/-MOXF-Live-Organ-Download and http://easysounds.eshop.t-online.de/epages/Shop40690.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Shop40690/Products/016208D

There are also many additional acoustic piano sample sets that can be loaded in... some are free from Yamaha, and others are available from third-parties.

• 2 months later...

Well I found a VR09 secondhand in great condition and pulled the trigger (finally). Last night midi'd it up to my P150. All good.

As expected though the piano sounds are lacking.

Everything else - great!

Archived