Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig report: an atypical weekend

Tom Williams

Friday Night

The trio I play with (Guitarist, Uke-ist, and I) hosted open night at a local establishment. Total town population is maybe 3000. Due to a high school football game, we delayed the gig's start and played from 9 to 1. I showed up at 7, to set up the PA system and my keyboards.

I had enough brains to pare down my setup, leaving my No-String bass (Keytar) and congas at home. I used regular keys for LH bass, and brought a medium small djembe to help out those who wanted hand percussion behind their guitar. That saved space, so the people who walk through the band to get to the bathroom had more freedom of movement (pun unintentional).

We finished at 1, packed up by 2, home at 2:30, asleep at 4 am. Pay was $26.67 ($80 split 3 ways) plus a meal, for seven hours, providing a PA, and 30 to 40 minutes' playing.

Saturday Evening

Gig 45 minutes from home, in the Big City (population around 19,000), outdoors, sound provided by the park. Arrived at 5:30 for a 7 PM gig, which started a bit later due to the previous band. This time I brought the full set of goodies -- two keyboards, keytar, congas -- to give 'em a nice show. The volunteer sound guys checked out every input, set up the stage monitors to our liking, and then we played a "test jam" to set up the FOH sound. Tweaked the ukulele in the monitors, and proceeded with our set.

During the fourth song the wind gusted, blowing my charts and lyric sheets (which I had reinforced with plastic) off the music stand. During the fifth song -- The Weight, one of the few songs I sing lead on -- more wind, more lost lyrics, a blown second verse, then the sky started to spit rain by the end of the song. With the audience getting up to escape the rain, I sounded a retreat to the covered rear of the stage. We (trio plus park management) aborted the gig very amicably.

Pay was $100 each, for 5 songs, with someone else running sound.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived