Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bit OT: Things people say to musicians

Synthoid

Over the last 30+ years playing keyboards, I've received a lot of comments from people--most of them good--but once in awhile you get a "zinger." It's common for people to refer to my keyboard as a piano or organ, no big deal. And then there are folks who think synth music is "disco". :facepalm:

But I'm always amazed after I've played the acoustic piano solo or with the worship band and people say, "I didn't know you could play the piano." I thought that would go without saying, but...

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not so much for me what they say to me but things they interpret that I say.

Funniest thing that comes to mind is teaching someone how to mix music digitally.

I thought the strings track was a bit low in volume, so I asked them to "bring up this track".

Then the telephone rang (yes my studio is on my computer at the end of the kitchen).

When I came back, they had brought up the track. It had been the fifth one on the screen and was not at the top with the others moved down one track line.

:roll:

Ah, keyboard player vs. organist vs. pianist. Yeah there is some prejudice out there with regard to skill level required of each or that playing one vs another is very similar or very different. Interesting comment.

I find that people say, "you ask what per hour!?" LOL. It seems they are willing to pay X to see a doctor or for a doctor's expertise, and X for a plumber, mechanic, etc. But for a musician or pianist/keyboard/organist what have you - our accepted rate always seems to hover around X regardless of it being 2000 or 2016 and regardless of inflation with guys like Chick being the exception of course. You guys still accepting less than $150 an hour? $100 an hour? $75? $50? Less? Regularly asked for freebies, benefit shows? Etc?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

'Why do you need another keyboard on top? Does it play higher notes?'

Every imaginable profession earns much more in the States or Western Europe than here, and I may be a rookie in the gigging scene, but the rates I've experienced are more like the equivalent of $35 for a full evening bar gig, $100 for a full evening party band gig and up to $200 for a full night, 120 song repertoire, keep playing while there is anyone dancing wedding gig with the party band. Of course famous people get much more. Stories about $5000 per gig.

A friend of mine plays the harp (the stringed type) and she gets three times as much as I do. I'll transition to harp.

But we're derailing the thread.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Ah, keyboard player vs. organist vs. pianist. Yeah there is some prejudice out there with regard to skill level required of each or that playing one vs another is very similar or very different. Interesting comment.

I find that people say, "you ask what per hour!?" LOL. It seems they are willing to pay X to see a doctor or for a doctor's expertise, and X for a plumber, mechanic, etc. But for a musician or pianist/keyboard/organist what have you - our accepted rate always seems to hover around X regardless of it being 2000 or 2016 and regardless of inflation with guys like Chick being the exception of course. You guys still accepting less than $150 an hour? $100 an hour? $75? $50? Less? Regularly asked for freebies, benefit shows? Etc?

A good friend of mine is a psychiatrist. Several times I have heard people ask him, "Didn't you ever want to be a real doctor?"

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

A friend of mine plays the harp (the stringed type) and she gets three times as much as I do. I'll transition to harp.

The only times I've seen a harpist were upscale gigs. Always sounds beautiful.

My favorite comment: a friend finally came to see my main band, after years of never getting around to it. When we took a break, he was quite pleased and said "You never said it was a GOOD band."

I had no comment in response.

Then just last week I played a sit-in gig with a band that had some guys I know, some I didn't. I knew the bandleader only from a regular jam that we're in. He asked me to play the gig. We took a break after the 2nd set and he said, "I didn't know you were THAT good." It's a very nice compliment, but ...

Oh. Full disclosure: that was on sax. On keys I am NOT that good. I'm a hack who uses the transpose button.

These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

"I'm glad you're having fun."

You know, I *am usually having fun. But all the fun parts, I could do at home. If I'm somewhere you're seeing me, it's because a business arrangement has been made, and I am fulfilling my part of it.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

"I'm glad you're having fun."
And that's the thing. You're having fun. You're doing something you love. So you shouldn't expect to be paid well too. Or paid at all. And you have no right to complain about working conditions or the attitude of the venue owner or manager or booker or sound engineer or bartender. You only get 2 free drinks a night, unless we reduce your pay by the bar tab. You're probably getting laid by hot blondes too. You should be grateful you're having fun. You're not getting anything in the tip jar from me.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

You can enter via the service entrance as well, exit the same way, and eat on your break in the kitchen - if there's a break at all, and if they'll feed you. No drinks permitted on the bandstand (we've had drunkard musicians embarrass the establishment in the past) ;)

and keep away from my daughter. i'll not have her seen with the likes of you! heh heh

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

2 things come to mind:

(1) It's nice you have music to "fall back on"...what's your real job?

and (2) this one, usually said by guitarists: "I know it's a simple riff on piano, but doing that on guitar is MUCH harder!"

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

On break:

Patron: Great band eh

Me: Yeah, thanks! We've been together a long time

Patron: You're in that band?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

this one, usually said by guitarists: "I know it's a simple riff on piano, but doing that on guitar is MUCH harder!"

Ha! I just said the opposite at rehearsal yesterday. Easy to do on guitar, harder on keys.

usually said by guitarists: "I know it's a simple riff on piano, but doing that on guitar is MUCH harder!"

I'll never forget this one gig about 5 years ago. We were playing the Monkee's "I'm a believer," and our new guitarist was struggling with the simple notes after the organ intro. :facepalm:

$150 an hour? Seriously?? I would do a lot for that kind of money. Around here, the scene pays $50-$100 per man per night (at least with a generic 5pc covers group). I don't play at the bottom of that range, but there are many, many nights where I don't quite make scale either.

MPF gigs are somehow not always paying scale Anymore, either. Not sure if I should raise a stink about that. There are guys depending on them for their living. I don't want to screw then by accident.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

AFTER THREE SETS, someone comes up to the band and asks:

"Do you guys play (insert title here)?"

Band: "No"

"Well do you guys play (insert title here)?"

"Well then do you guys play (insert title here)?"

"Well then, what DO you play?"

___

and my personal favourite:

"You guys must be great! You look like you're having so much fun up there!"

Here for the gear.

Probably the most bizarre remark made to me after a concert:

"The music was great, but I prefer live playing, with no sequencers".

There wasn't a single sequenced note in the whole concert!

I took it as a compliment.... :freak::D

Probably the most bizarre remark made to me after a concert:

"The music was great, but I prefer live playing, with no sequencers".

There wasn't a single sequenced note in the whole concert!

I took it as a compliment.... :freak::D

I used to get that comment all the time for the band I (a) played left-hand bass and (b) had a laptop onstage. I actually had a bass player accuse me of sequencing the bass lines because we were too cheap to hire a bass player. People see the computer screen and assume you're doing tracks.

One of my favorite comments was at a bar in Montana, with a jazz-funk band where everyone, even the horn players had a pedalboard: "Look at all them pedals, it's like you got synthesizers for every instrument!" That line remained a running joke for years.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

This was said to me as this really cute young lady was handing me her phone number on a napkin:

"Can you give this to the bass player?"

Ouch!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Radio interview with a quite well known jazz pianist just before a live radio concert of his trio.

'What kind of music do you guys play? Sorta... jazzy?'

'Yep... sorta... jazzy.'

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

Archived