Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Slightly OT - So is this acceptable now?

SteveQB

I was an usher at a friends wedding recently. The room for the evening entertainment could hold around 200 seated. They had around 75 guests with the rest of the room left for dance floor, cake, buffet etc.

They had a DJ who came with a Bose L1 system. I say system but more accurate description would be a single L1 woofer and the top speakers that plug into the woofer. Placed on the left hand side of the dance floor. To make matters worse he was still running the system in stereo as I could tell second guitar parts or backing vocals panned to the right were either missing or a lot quieter than they should be. Needless to say it didn't sound good to my ears

So is this what's acceptable these days or is this a one off? He charged quite a bit apparently so I would have thought he could have bought another set of speakers!

Nord Stage 2EX | Nord Wave | Mainstage 3

K&M Spider Pro | JH Audio JH5 IEMs | Behringer XR18 | Radial Keylargo

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This may be totally off the wall, but: My first thought was that there was a so-called "wedding coordinator" who haughtily informed said DJ that "all that stuff is NOT going to be set up in MY wedding hall."

Not being familiar with usual DJ gear, I'm not even sure that the setup included a way to sum to mono.

But - if it was just laziness on the part of the DJ: Acceptable depends very heavily on just how much push-back there is. Most of the guests probably slightly noticed that the music didn't seem to be quite all there, but did not have a clue as to why. You, being a musician, noticed and knew the cause.

Incentive to fix the situation depends on your friend, his bride, or the bride's mother (who ever is PAYING for the DJ) raising a fuss and stink about the lack.

If it were my friend, I would let them know (when they return) of my feeling about the situation. Monies may have already been paid, but in this day of Social Media, some refunding might still occur with the proper motivation.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Depends on the region. We're (tri-state area NYC) still seeing huge rooms, 200+ guests, PA speakers cross over and subs. Laptop and DJ software has replaced CD player of course. And lighting is used more extensively than ever. They are mounting them all over the room like the whole darn wedding is a theatrical event. Everyone is in the show.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah, most working DJ's I know are virtually live-sound (and lighting) engineers. Maybe this one was new, maybe the bride and groom said they didn't want anything too loud and told him only to bring two speakers, maybe he had another rig set up at another wedding and this was his back-up system.

I am not among those who thinks DJs are "just" button-pushers. Like any field, there are good ones and bad ones. Spend an hour or two watching and listening to a good one, and you will leave with no doubt that this is an art form.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

AFAICT, the Bose L1 has stereo RCA inputs, so there's no excuse to not have both channels present in the output. :freak:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Here in the States the wedding DJ market is very competitive, and it would not be acceptable from anyone who does this on a regular basis.

But I have been to several weddings recently where the music was not much of a priority, with varying results. Good wedding DJs who bring the whole show (lights, sound, mic skills) are not cheap... $1000 just gets you started.

Good point re audience - the bride and groom were happy as were the twenty or so people on the dance floor. For me it had little atmosphere. The bride and groom requested dance, dub and EDM type music which he served up well but it sounded weedy trough a single side setup. I was on the far side of the dance floor and could talk st normal volume. Ok no one wants a full club sound at a wedding but still!

This may be totally off the wall, but: My first thought was that there was a so-called "wedding coordinator" who haughtily informed said DJ that "all that stuff is NOT going to be set up in MY wedding hall."

Wedding coordinators can be vile. :mad:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Well yeah, the music was deafening at my nephew's wedding last fall. Of course we were seated next to the stage.

My ears were ringing when I was walking out to the car later. :pop:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Sounds more like the L1 Compact if the stick plugged right into the sub. I use the L1 (regular) system for most small DJ gigs and it is more than enough power, especially with two subs.

Mind you, I make sure the controller output is set to mono before I start

I have too much gear, said no-one ever.

Darth_dad it may well have been. From memory it was a smallish sub with two columns plugged into the sub one on top of the other

Archived