Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mojo reliability?

Scott Flanigan

I have an opportunity to buy a B-stock but great condition Crumar Mojo for a good bit less than retail, but a colleague said this to me:

Indeed .. It's a computer inside... nearby they have one in the shop. They said to me " we don't like to switch it on... We're not shure it will work, aswell it's not Very solide ... The screw's are not good fixed... It's Italian...

About starting the computer ... It's not always perfect...

Any long term Mojo players care to comment on this? I've played one nearby and liked it a lot, so I'm still tempted to buy it.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played a 2 manual Mojo at a jam, it had to be restarted several times and a couple times it wouldn't boot on the restart and would need to be restarted 2-3 times in a row before it'd come on.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Review of threads about issues with owners' Mojos are like this thread. Most people have no problems, and there are a minority who have had problems with them - usually hardware related and usually earlier models prior to some revisions made by Crumar. There are extensive debates on the forum between enthusiasts who feel that there was risk to purchasing a Crumar product from overseas because they had little to no established support in the US (no distributor, no dealers, no certified repair, etc.). When users did have problems, Crumar did respond quickly, but there have been times where it was up to the user to be technically savvy and open the case to trouble shoot and possibly replace a part if they did not have access to a repair shop willing to work on it.

However, with the release of their latest model, Mojo61 - based on their Gemini hardware also available as expansion for the DMC-122 and in tabletop form - you can purchase the newest Mojo from Sweetwater, Alto Music, or B3Guys. Also, perfectcircuitaudio, and weisersound. Dave Bryce (forum moderator and regular poster) is officially their sales agent in the US. Dave Weiser of weisersound is also a forum member and frequent contributor.

My suggestion - find out how old the B-Stock Mojo is, and specifics on the warranty/support the dealer is allowing. If acceptable, go for it. If not to your liking, save your pennies and get a new Mojo or one of the many alternatives. But that's just me. YMMV

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I am unaware of a newer Mojo with similar hardware as the Mojo 61... My recent Mojo still runs on embedded Windows.

One thing to consider... Windows XP is one of the most stable operating systems ever developed. Many state of the art lighting controllers are Windows based. This was never a concern for me with the Mojo.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Hi, Dave. It looks like I misunderstood or connected some dots where there weren't any. I was under the impression that the Gemini hardware was going to be the basis for their line going forward. I'll edit above.

You didn't elaborate whether or not your "like" for the Mojo was just the sound, the keybed, the layout, the dual manual setup or some combination of the above. If it is mainly the sound then I would suggest looking at the GSI Gemini (rack or tabletop). For half the price you'll get the Mojo (full blown VB3-II) plus a couple of dozen other goodies like modeled Rhodes, Wurli, Clav D6, brass, strings, VA synth and a sampled/hybrid acoustic piano, DX7 piano, and other very worthwhile sounds. Take a listen here:

http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=43

I purchased one and it sounds fantastic.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I have one of the very early Mojos that had some hardware issues. After they updated the guts with their current hardware, there have been absolutely no issues since. It's been gigged regularly for several years and I trust it.

However, as with any computerized instrument, don't feed it crappy power.

Moe

---

I have one of the very early Mojos that had some hardware issues. After they updated the guts with their current hardware, there have been absolutely no issues since. It's been gigged regularly for several years and I trust it.

However, as with any computerized instrument, don't feed it crappy power.

Absolutely! Crappy power will screw up any gear, B3's and Leslie's included.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Check with Dave Bryce or Crumar directly with the serial to confirm it has their most recent hardware as well as the newest modified TP-8O which is supposed to be less springy and more "buttery" as some recent adopters are saying.

Check with Dave Bryce

Sales guys typically are not the best place to go for tech support. :idk:

Well, not typically, no... ;):2thu:

Ha ha, I just figured like a Fender or Gibson guy, you'd look at the Crumar serial number and immediately know which batch it was! :laugh:

Ha ha, I just figured like a Fender or Gibson guy, you'd look at the Crumar serial number and immediately know which batch it was! :laugh:

Had I been working with them since the original units were manufactured, and were they the only manufacturer I worked with, you actually would probably be right. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

It's important you determine how old this one is before buying it. The early examples were VERY variable in quality. I wouldn't risk gigging with one of the first batches. More recently, they seem to have largely got their act together on QC, but I'm still seeing occasional reports of poor quality of assembly and finish.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Crumar replied within an hour late on Saturday evening and confirmed it's a Rev C board, so it might be ok.

Haven't bought it yet...it's still a lot of money!

Are you getting warranty coverage from the seller (B-stock implies you're buying from a retailer, not a private seller)? Have you discussed with Andrea at Crumar if they'd be willing to support you if there is a problem? If either answer is yes, then go for it.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Crumar replied within an hour late on Saturday evening and confirmed it's a Rev C board, so it might be ok.

Haven't bought it yet...it's still a lot of money!

Are you getting warranty coverage from the seller (B-stock implies you're buying from a retailer, not a private seller)? Have you discussed with Andrea at Crumar if they'd be willing to support you if there is a problem? If either answer is yes, then go for it.

The retailer has a 60-day return policy and a one year warranty, but I haven't checked with Andrea. I'm in Ireland, so postage to Italy shouldn't be horrendous if required. Good tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Well folks, it's been a few weeks so I thought I'd give an update on this.

I bought the Mojo and when it arrived there was a screw loose inside the chassis and a few scratches. I didn't want to open it up and start poking around to find a screw in there as I really wanted to try it for a while to see if I was going to keep it.

One of the keys had a bad action, the very top C. Aside from that, the action was just perfect; it sounded great and played great. A really fantastic instrument.

Three days later I took it to its first gig...and it wouldn't turn on. The power supply was getting power, but the Mojo wouldn't even light up. So, it's going back to the retailer and I'm hoping for a replacement new one (at a cost, obviously). But what a machine!

Archived