Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Latest Natural Disaster- Italy Earthquake

Markyboard

Here's hoping our Italian friends are OK (Carlo? :( ). Man there seems to be a string of these type events in a very narrow period of time including the flooding in Baton Rouge and of course the fires in California. Very sad for the many many folks affected.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for our Italian friends and all the fantastic music, musicians, and music technology we can't thank them enough for.

Our friends in Louisiana for their contributions to jazz, r&b, Cajun and zydeco, swamp pop, etc.

With polar caps melting, water rising, flooding, earth quakes, zica virus, Russian and US planes getting too close together, etc. etc. Who knows, maybe the nutters are right and the apocalypse has already started. But on the other hand lots of good things happening too. I try to stay on the cup is half full side, what else have we got?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Earthquakes in Italia scares the hell out of me. How close was this to Mount Vesuvius

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Probably same frequency for disasters as it's always been, you just hear more about it (news everywhere, social media etc)....I say the same thing when my wife and her helicopter-mom friends declare that there's more bad guys out there snatching up kids....though some say we might be heading for some times of more extreme weather for oh, say an era or two (not to veer into politics!)

some say we might be heading for some times of more extreme weather for oh, say an era or two (not to veer into politics!)

Yeah, we can blame Al Gore for inventing global warming. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Beams of love, comfort and recovery to all affected in Italy, Louisiana, California and everywhere else in the world.

Now, then. Where is that mother ship so we can all go find us a planet without disasters?

;)

Luckily my relatives are safe but could feel it from the epicenter. They are about two hours away from there.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Here's hoping our Italian friends are OK (Carlo?)

Just seen this thread. I'm ok, thanks. Rome is usually not considered a seismic risk area (touch wood, steel, and the family jewels) but god, did we feel it. Fifth floor apartment, things falling down from bookshelves, etc., for 20 very long seconds. Plus many, many other strikes - I think we are at 700 now.

The little villages that were the center of the earthquake were mostly second homes owned by Romans. So in the middle of summer, they were mostly full of people vacationing. Maximum damage. A couple of acquaintances were among the victims.

The Appennini (the mountain chain which goes aross Italy from North to South) are very slowly separating, or dividing into two columns if you will. This 'explains' the terrible earthquakes that hit central Italy periodically.

What's really enraging is the fact that after the disastrous earthquake at L'Aquila a few years ago, a few million euros were assigned to pay for reinforcement work on a lot of the buildings in that area - but for some stupid bureaucratic mistake, that money hasn't been distributed yet! I mean, the whole area is considered at high seismic risk, and most of the houses were built in the 18th century. Many lives could have been saved. The umpteenth evidence that bureaucracy can kill.

Despite being very small mountain communities, those villages are very well known for having a very strong tradition and a unique atmosphere. They were setting things up for a big summer celebration which goes back to the Middle Age. To see that they have been razed to the ground is breathtaking.

Of course, my thoughts also go to all the victims of the several natural calamities which seem to have joined forces in these summer days to remind us of our very tiny relevance in the motions of the universe....

Glad to hear from you Carlo and that you're OK. Thanks for filling us in on this side of the world. I assume that govt. building near the Colosseum you referred to as the "typewriter" (iirc) survived unscathed?

No building was damaged in Rome, Mark - although they did perform a check on the Colesseum's fundations. About the "typewriter", I'm afraid that with its millions of tons of solid marble, it would be hard to shake. Although I guess that most Romans would be happy to see it go down..... ;)

For the uninitiated, the "typewriter", otherwise known as the Vittoriano, is a monster-size marble monument dedicated to the King of the reunited Italy in the early years of 1900. To build it, they destroyed a couple of very characteristic ancient neighborhoods, and leveled a hill. Here's the result:

http://www.crostihotel.it/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Il-Vittoriano.jpg

Although I guess that most Romans would be happy to see it go down..... ;)

I'll hold my joking 'til better times. I hope we've heard the worst of this although I understand the death toll continues to climb. Best to you and your fellow countrymen Carlo.

Italy's earthquake may be part of the natural course of events.

What worries me is the consequences of human overpopulation. I've heard reported that we're at about 7.4 billion people. With our (human) consumption and pollution increasing rather than being reduced, I'm not real optimistic. The so-called conservative factions have no interest in conservation. Most religious factions I'm aware of are all in favor of more human births.

My relatives who receive climate science disputing anonymous emails, are convinced it's a liberal folly. I'll take science over religion. And besides that, common sense tells me human populations cannot continue as we are currently.

Italy's earthquake may be part of the natural course of events.

What worries me is the consequences of human overpopulation. I've heard reported that we're at about 7.4 billion people. With our (human) consumption and pollution increasing rather than being reduced, I'm not real optimistic. The so-called conservative factions have no interest in conservation. Most religious factions I'm aware of are all in favor of more human births.

My relatives who receive climate science disputing anonymous emails, are convinced it's a liberal folly. I'll take science over religion. And besides that, common sense tells me human populations cannot continue as we are currently.

Speaking as a community member and not as a moderator (I only moderate Garage Sale to keep out the spammers and such), I wish to remind you of this forum's policies regarding politics and religion. The simple answer is, "don't do it." :):cop:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Of course I'll be happy to meet you and wife, Busch. I'd suggest to schedule a few days in Rome as there's a lot to see :)

I'll be glad to advice, and show you a few things myself when time permits. Just PM or email me with the details when you're ready.

I checked with Guido and the Crumar folks. They are about 300 miles away and were all unaffected, so cheers for that.
I didn't explicitly say it earlier, but I'm glad to hear that Guido, Andrea, and Carlo are okay. I love our Italian friends!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am ok too, but being in Paris instead of Italy helps :->.

My family was a woke up by it, they live around 100 miles away; by the way, i was

in the area a couple of weeks ago; during my holidays, visiting one of the nicest and mostly unknown towns in my area, Ascoli Piceno.

Unfortunately, as all Italian know, we are not ready to get rid of earthquakes :-<

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

one of the nicest and mostly unknown towns in my area, Ascoli Piceno.

Ascoli is unbelievably beautiful - including one of my favorite squares in the whole world:

http://www.terrerranti.it/img/public/VIAGGI/ascoli.jpg

And without forgetting the Olive all'ascolana, local specialty, big green olives stuffed with meat and deep fried (yes, almost dinner time in Paris)

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

Archived