Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Songs that didn't grab you immediately but grew on you

The Real MC

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie Sexton Sextet's Under the Wishing Tree.

He was in Arc Angels with Doyle Bramhall II and Double Trouble before that and that was a rock and roll band. UTWT was a more thoughtful, introspective album. I kept listening to it at the listening station at the record store wanting to like it but it wasn't resonating with me. I don't know what changed, but one day I listened to it and thought, "oh my god, this album is amazing. Now I get it!" It remains one of my all-time favorites.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Christian Kane anything.

I had followed him as an actor and then when I started a Blog Talk show back in 2012, I met up with someone already on that show that knew him and his manager. She introduced me to his "Americana" style which encompasses folk, country and rock.

It took me a few times of listening to some of his songs but I grew to like him as a musician as well.

:)

Two come to mind that my main band covers:

The Ballroom Blitz - Sweet. Somehow or another, I managed to have never heard this song until it was suggested as a cover. Even then, I didn't get it at all, but I bit my tongue. Now I like playing it quite a bit, lol.

Ride Captain Ride - The Blues Image. Same as above.

Steinway L, Yamaha Motif XS-8, NE3 73, Casio PX-5S, iPad, EV ZLX 12-P ZZ(x2), bunch of PA stuff.

Anything by Katy Perry. I hear the song and think "Another inane simple pentatonic melody." Then I see the video of her singing it in some low-cut outfit ... Genius!

(I hope my attempt at a joke was at least obvious. Lately, my my jokes seem to only make sense to me. Don't even hope to amuse someone.)

David

Lately, my my jokes seem to only make sense to me. Don't even hope to amuse someone.)

My advice is, Don't give up. Humor is good for our collective soul and too many people take themselves far too seriously these days IMO.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Lately, my my jokes seem to only make sense to me. Don't even hope to amuse someone.)

My advice is, Don't give up. Humor is good for our collective soul and too many people take themselves far too seriously these days IMO.

No doubt.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Most anything by Steely Dan in the `70s. When I was a kid I couldn't get past the sound of Donald Fagen's voice long enough to appreciate the sophistication of the music. It wasn't until I heard a cover band nailing their stuff (without imitating the lead voice) that I really wanted to dig into it. Then when I got to Grove Music School and started playing their charts I totally became a fan. :cool:

><>

Steve

Black Crows Hard to Handle (hard tahananaggesana). Never liked it until we started playing it in the band and realized what a fun song it is.

If you think the Crowes version is good, check out Otis Redding's original version.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

Black Crows Hard to Handle (hard tahananaggesana). Never liked it until we started playing it in the band and realized what a fun song it is.

If you think the Crowes version is good, check out Otis Redding's original version.

TP

THIS.

and I've seen the Black Crowes often over the years. They rarely ever did this song live after the early years, and when they did Rich Robinson looked like he would rather be getting a root canal, just went through the motions hoping for the next song to start. :facepalm:

sorry, just realized my posts were off topic and didn't contribute anything to what the OP was asking. Had a long day swimming at the pool and a cervesza or two. or three. :D

carry on

On Topic

I love Weather Report, but it always seems to take a few plays to warm up to them.

with you there my brother. First listen I'm scratching my head, a week later I can't stop listening to it.

:nopity:

Most anything by Steely Dan in the `70s. When I was a kid I couldn't get past the sound of Donald Fagen's voice long enough to appreciate the sophistication of the music. It wasn't until I heard a cover band nailing their stuff (without imitating the lead voice) that I really wanted to dig into it. Then when I got to Grove Music School and started playing their charts I totally became a fan. :cool:

I got to thinking about this on the drive in to work this morning and I had a psychotic break with Steely Dan in the late 70s.

Pretzel Logic. Loved it immediately

Katy Lied. Ditto

Royal Scam. Blew me away completely. I wore that record out.

AJA. I couldn't wait for its release and waited in line to buy it when it did come out, but it just left me flat at the time. Can't say why because I love it now.

Gaucho. Really didn't like it at first. What have you done with Steely Dan you bastards? was my first reaction. Again, it grew on me with time.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Yeah, it wasn't heavy enough for me at the time; I was listening to Zep, Sabbath, Mahavishnu Orchestra, ELP, UK.

But then I gradually shifted to lighter sensibilities: Corea, Hancock, Bruford, Weather Report, etc....and by the time I was in college in the 80's I loved Steely Dan.

I chalk it up to hormones :-)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Jimmy Webb, Billy Joel and Jerry Douglas performing Wichita Lineman on Webb's album Just Across the River. Stunning orchestral arrangement, impeccable performances, coupled with outstanding production.

�Ah, music," he said, wiping his eyes. "A magic beyond all we do here!�

J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Archived