Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumor Mill Cooking: Roland System 8

DulceLabs.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting. Not as interesting as DM12, but worth a look. I think the pricing will be prohibitive though since they set the System 1 at $500. If they put a proper 4 or 5 octave keyboard on it where does it fit in their lineup? $1299?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Interesting. Not as interesting as DM12, but worth a look. I think the pricing will be prohibitive though since they set the System 1 at $500. If they put a proper 4 or 5 octave keyboard on it where does it fit in their lineup? $1299?

I'm not sure Roland makes a proper 4 or 5 octave keyboard. :laugh: Kidding of course, the keyboard on the Jupiter 50 is pretty good. But if they use the same "low travel" keys as they did on the System 1... blech.

In regards to pricing: Yes, how do they price and outfit (feature-wise) an 8 voice VA when there is a fully-featured 12 voice analog for $1000?

Seems like Mr. B has put the industry in quite a bind now, hasn't he? Not so much for the likes of Moog or Dave Smith, but mass market makers like Roland or Korg are in a bit of a pickle.

Interesting. Not as interesting as DM12, but worth a look.

I guess, but yet another VA?

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/cat-yawning.gif

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Interesting. Not as interesting as DM12, but worth a look.

I guess, but yet another VA?

Looks like it. But they have proven they can make an analog poly. With the instant success of the Korg Minilogue and the immense interest in the DeepMind 12, I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a stand-alone analog poly in the next year or so. Maybe a 6 voice? :)

I wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a stand-alone analog poly in the next year or so. Maybe a 6 voice? :)

Reissue the Jupiter-8 for $1995. I'll take two. :laugh:

I'm not sure Roland makes a proper 4 or 5 octave keyboard. :laugh: Kidding of course, the keyboard on the Jupiter 50 is pretty good. But if they use the same "low travel" keys as they did on the System 1... blech.

In regards to pricing: Yes, how do they price and outfit (feature-wise) an 8 voice VA when there is a fully-featured 12 voice analog for $1000?

Seems like Mr. B has put the industry in quite a bind now, hasn't he? Not so much for the likes of Moog or Dave Smith, but mass market makers like Roland or Korg are in a bit of a pickle.

$1,000+ VAs are quickly becoming obsolete, IMO. VAs came into existence to emulate the RAs that were no longer being made. Rather than using the RA architecture as a starting point and then greatly enhancing that, they really just mimicked RAs functionality and sonically. Now we have new RAs hitting every few months it seems. I see the Nord Leads and Viruses as endangered species. I mean $1800 - $3000 for a VA?

I could see Dave Smith impacted if the Behringer synth takes away Dave's ability to compete at the low end forcing him into the high-end space exclusively. Moog seems more insulated, but maybe not. Korg understands value (as does Dave Smith). I mean an 8-voice Minilogue-based synth, with a full-size keyboard and FXs in the $1000 range seems in line.

Roland, I don't know. I don't know what has been selling for them. Is this System-1 stuff popular? Things are changing too fast for these companies to come out with so so products priced too high.

Busch.

Good points. Very interesting. With the release of stable polyphonic analog synths, you are right.... why get the VA emulations?

I was playing my Micromoog and it's so smooth and the LFO is killer. The VA are good enough for live for sure, but the real thing has that extra "something".

Speaking of that.... hmmm where is my JX-3P?

Korg Kronos, Roland RD-88, Korg Kross, JP8000, MS2000, Sequential Pro One, Micromoog, Yamaha VL1, author of unrealBook for iPad.

Roland tied their fortunes long ago to digital because for them it promised great sound with the ability to meet lower price points and still keep profit margins high. At least high compared to analog. And it worked. Through the 90s and 00s younger music makers with tighter budgets could get a digital Roland that emulated the hardware of their storied past (808s, Juno 106s, etc.). They continued this mentality with the System-1, Aira, and Boutique stuff. Cheap digital components copying design and function from analog instruments at sub $1k price points. But there's no reason a VA has to have 4 or even 8 note poly and run its engine at 44.1k except to maintain control over what they are willing to offer at each price point. Then you have Nord on the other side offering 20-24 note poly VAs from $1800 to $2300. This left the door open for Waldorf to offer a Blofeld with 24 voice poly at $500 and StudioLogic the Sledge at $900.

Roland has the name, but limiting poly and modulation matrixes, and fx on digital VA synths is BS as proven over and over again on VSTs and iOS apps. You can do it all on digital hardware and run the engine at 48 or 96k if you're willing to use a decent CPU and you can offer it at $1k. And now you have a reason to go digital instead of the DeepMind 12 at $1k because the capabilities blow the analog away at the same price. I figure Behringer is going to disrupt a lot of balance sheets in 2017. A lot of would-be-purchasers budget for something like this once a year at best. If they pick DM12 - then that's a lot of 4 and 8 note poly VAs sitting on the shelves next season. Yamaha Reface as well, just not great bang for your buck. At least from a keyboard player's perspective. The bedroom producers may very well like sub $500 VA synths with these limitations. But are they buying hardware or using VSTs?

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

The bedroom producers may very well like sub $500 VA synths with these limitations. But are they buying hardware or using VSTs?

Some are, sure. There are so many legitimate freebie softsynths out there. They snag a $99 controller and are good to go.

But I think an awful lot pick up a legit or pirated copy of FL Studio and go.

Oh yes, just like people in the graphic design "business" that buy a MacBook and then snag a pirated copy of the Adobe Suite.

I know two of them. :facepalm:

Archived