Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light Dig Organ, Roland V-Combo VR-09 opinions?

sunshadow

Anyone use this board? I want a light digital organ to complement my piano, obviously there is the electro, what else is there...like maybe not so obvious, but what about this VR-09? Surely it must be pretty good, has good reviews and rating. I also looked at that Crumar model, but those lights on it, are so bright red i couldnt deal with that. Thats a design flaw i say.

I think a safe play is to buy like a used electro 3 i guess. idk.

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a VR-09.

Pros: a) low price b) inspirational sounds - wonderful variety of sounds, many inspiring to play c) light-weight easy to move and set up d) drawbars to manipulate in realtime e) usable Leslie sim

Cons: a) keyboard feels horrible to play b) recalling saved sounds is a PITA (if you want to recall more than four saved sounds you have to do a lot of button-pressing - not good in the middle of a song) c) power supply is lump-in-the-middle type with a short cord.

Bottom line: lots of good sounds at a good price, married to a frustratingly bad keyboard.

J.S. Bach Well Tempered Klavier

The collected works of Scott Joplin

Ray Charles Genius plus Soul

Charlie Parker Omnibook

Stevie Wonder Songs in the Key of Life

Weather Report Mr. Gone

The VR09 is a great additional board for a piano...it has a bit of everything you might need. (Synths, Electric Pianos, Pads, horns...)

I had one for over a year, and I had the easiest/funnest time (in recent memory) playing with it live. Everything I needed was pretty much right at hand. The new 1.03 update gave it some excellent Rhodes impressions as well as a very dynamic Wurli impression.

That all being said, the Hammond organ emulation grew tiring to my ears using it at home on its own and not in a band context. That organ model was my main reason to own the VR, so I did eventually buy a Nord.

For the price the VR is really hard to beat as a gigging keyboard.

Electro 5, NI Kontrol S61/49, MX49, PC3, Rev2, Prologue, Pro3, Juno-DS, Mopho Keys, SE02, drums, tons of synth software, guitars, amps, and pedals...help me!!

BbAltered's summary is pretty much spot-on. (Well, I wouldn't call the keyboard action "horrible," but it is kind of quirky, a little spongy-feeling, not the best.) Another pro I'd add is the ability to very quickly on the fly set up two-sound splits and layers and another big pro is the dedicated real-time knobs controlling reverb, delay, overdrive etc. But since (as Bb I believe was referring to), you can only quickly get to the first four banks' worth of registrations (for a total of sixteen) at a gig, I don't rely too much on registrations at all, mostly use it for single patches or on-the-fly splits/layers. Anyway it's MAIN strong point, a credible, pleasing, usable B3 engine (maybe not pleasing to real afficianoados/purists, but your bandmates and audience will dig it) with drawbars and decent Leslie, in a really small lightweight form factor, for the price and weight it's hard to beat.

My wish-list would be an additional real-time knob or two dedicated to leslie parameters like fast and slow speed targest and ramp/brake time.

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

Hi Sunshadow. It is a good little keyboard. I use it with a PX 5S and feel like I have everything covered. It sounds great and weighs nothing. I dont like the keys very much - something about their length and pivot point doesn't feel good to me, but it is not a big problem. The VR does a great job. The main drawback of it for me is that it cannot accept programme change messages. This is turning out to be a real PITA. I think if they made a VR10 with a few improvements (including programme change messages) I would be first on the list to get it.
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

sorry : :) , I searched VR-09 and no results came up

ok thanks for the replies , o think the electro or an actual nord organ is the way to go o guess, if that many people are complaining about the action on the keyboard they live there must be some major issues with it

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

Archived