Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP-40 considerations

LX88

Well.... my deal on a used Roland FP-7 last week fell through. To be truthful, the Rhodes patch was the deal breaker. I liked the pre Super Natural piano sample and the speakers. Someone else snatched it up at 500 dollars.

So this week I am taking a look at the Yamaha CP40. The problem is I have never seen one , so I would have to buy sight unseen which I hate to do.

I have decided not to buy a CP 4, as the CFX sample is not for me. Maybe you but not me. I am not going to go into why. It's good but not what I need.

When I hear the CF sample on a CP-4 ( they are common at GC stores in my area) it sounds more like what I am used to hearing from Yamaha. I like the strong focused bass primarily.

I am also not sure what is a available in the Rhodes/ Wurlie department from the CP40. I have had an MOXF and the ep's would have to be in that league. I like a warm sounding Rhodes... kind of like R&B Soft in the Motif set.

I played an S90XS the other day and liked the piano ( Full Concert Grand). But I don't need all that Yamaha riff raff. Just piano / Rhodes Wurli.

Also - if the action on the CP-40 is similar to the P-255, that would be fine.

Comments appreciated if you have heard or owned a CP-40.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah the P-255 and the CP-40 both have the GH action. I think the P-255 goes one further with synthetic ivory key tops. It's an ok action, not my favorite, but it gets the job done in a 36lb keyboard. A jazz band I sit in with has one, CP-40. I've played it a bunch of times. Plastic case, thin blue screen with off white text. Yes the CF is very clean and compressed Yamaha-ish sounding. The rest is AWM2 stuff... A few Rhodes and Wurly types, CP-80 sound and DX... Clav. The usual suspects are there. It's priced right where it belongs in my opinion. Affordable stage piano for the gigging keyboard player on a budget. Other options are Casio PX-5S or PX-560 (or a CGP-700 might be good enough at a third less). Kawai MP7 at a few hundred more. Roland DS-88 or RD-300NX. That's the area your playing in. I'm not sure which I'd go with if I was doing it right now... The 5S did surprise me for feel and EP sounds, but the GH action on the CP-40 might be more what you're used to.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

You know that if you don't like the CP4 that you won't like the CP40, right? The CP40 is a proper subset.

Also, did you try the S6 samples?

BTW the Wurlies are killer on the CP4. Imagine they're just as good, minus the awesome feel, on CP40.

Re-reading your post, I am really confused. You say you don't want a CP4 because you don't like the CFX samples, but you like the CF samples it has, so you're thinking about a CP40. What am I missing?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Rhodes? SV-1 if you like the RH-3 action. The piano is a good Rock n Roll piano. Clavs are solid. EPs are great. It is the amp modeling and modulation effects that really make the EPs shine. The key is whether you can play the action.

My favorite sub $2000 stage piano is the MP7. What you sonically like is sort of irrelevant with the Kawai if you like the action. The tones are very editable.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

i do not like the action on the 40, or the 255, in a vacuum....now stacked against the cp4? there is no comparison. you might look at the roland juno ds, it has a really nice keyboard, very playable and way better than the 40 or 255 imo but the sounds in the 40 will be better for sure....cheaper too, or the FA08, it has a better board than 40 or 255 imo.....supernatural etc.

i think the 255 is a bit overpriced. the 40 seems about right i guess. but you should buy the cp4 if you are going to buy the 40, its not much more, and the action is lightyears better than the 40, to me the action on the 255 is actually better than the 40, thats how i felt when i tried both them.....but the 4 is way WAY better than both of them...

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

I have decided not to buy a CP 4, as the CFX sample is not for me. Maybe you but not me. I am not going to go into why. It's good but not what I need.

When I hear the CF sample on a CP-4 ( they are common at GC stores in my area) it sounds more like what I am used to hearing from Yamaha. I like the strong focused bass primarily.

I have the same dislike for the stock CFX sample in the CP4, but the CFX Dark is exactly what the doctor ordered. If you want thicker, you have the CF. The S6 samples sound so... incomplete, compared to the others. CP4's action is superb at this pricepoint. So what's not to like?

Here for the gear.

The CFX sample can sound a tad rough through phones and just ok speakers. The CF is easier on the earsat least mine. But the CFX through my speakers out live- all is forgiven both with a rhythm section and solo. It always sounds good, even in mono, unless the room acoustics are just really brutal.

And when I am live, I occasionally switch over the the CF just for comparison- it always sounds thinner and just nowhere near as forward and clear as the CFX.

When I play my CP4 at home I use the CF sample. I use the S6 samples next to never.

Didn't care for the feel, sound and overall player connection of the CP40.especially next to the CP4. The 4 is more dough then the 40 but to me well worth it.

The CP4 is the only electronic keyboard I've ever owned for over 2 years and rarely had any complaints about. ;) I do wish it had the drum grooves like the CP5.

From what I can tell the CF sample is what I want.

If the action is basically similar to the P-255, I am fine with that.

By the way... the Casio PX-5 is NOT an option. I think that Casio has gotten there with their new hybrid, but not with their portables. Casio has possibly my least favorite digital piano (Sorry Mike). I hate that midrange "plunk".

I was seriously looking at an older Roland. I am replacing an RD300GX. But I missed the 500 dollar deal on an FP-7 and may not see another at that price.

Roland RD 300 NX- also, not an option.

Ah the old Roland piano sound. What are we talking... like U-220? JV? XV? It's a great sound club and dance stuff. Thin in the mid range, sort of crystally tinkly highs throughout the 88 keys. Great for dance, club, house, electronic stuff. But not my favorite sound for solo piano playing. Very short looped decay, after a while it all sort of sounds the same no matter what dynamic you're playing at. But it has its place.

I am talking about the " Superior Grand" sample found in FP-4, FP-7 ( I think) RD300GX and RD700SX.

I would like to find one of the above and a very good price on it.

But would also consider the CP-40 but as I said, I have not heard one.

From what I can tell the CF sample is what I want.

If the action is basically similar to the P-255, I am fine with that.

I think you'll be perfectly happy with the CP40 then. The CP4 has all the sounds in the CP40 and a bunch more, but if you don't need those other sounds and are fine with the "lesser" action, the CP40 might hit the spot, at 2.5 lbs lighter besides. At $1400 vs. $2300, if all the CP4 sounds you like are in the CP40, the extra $900 is mostly getting you the nice wooden action, which can make the CP40 look like a relative bargain to someone who likes the GH action. There are a handful of other trade-offs... the CP4 also has balanced outs, an internal power supply, 5-band EQ (vs. 3) and an additional foot controller jack, all of which are important to some people, but certainly not essential for many.

The Kawai MP7 mentioned is another nice alternative, with one of my favorite actions, high tweakability, good interface, better MIDI functionality, and a bonus clonewheel thrown in, but it's $1800 and 46 lbs. The SV1 is great for EP, and it has a nice visceral appeal to its controls, but kind of average for AP, and again, a bit heavier and more expensive than the CP4.

One thing about the Rolands, though... I get that you prefer the older Roland piano sounds to the new "SuperNatural" ones, but at least some of the current Rolands also have older non-SN piano sounds available. If nothing else, the FA-08 and DS-88 let you load in the sounds from the old SRX cards via the EXP-04 and EXP-09 axial downloads.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

If nothing else, the FA-08 and DS-88 let you load in the sounds from the old SRX cards via the EXP-04 and EXP-09 axial downloads.

Ding ding! Plus lots of other historic non-piano Roland patches up on that axial site too. Worth a try at its impressive PX-5S-matching price point.

Worth a try at its impressive PX-5S-matching price point.

Yeah, the DS88 is a great board for the money... overall, I prefer its sounds and interface to the Casio at the same price, but not enough to carry around 36 lbs vs 24. But that's not an issue for someone looking at a CP40, etc.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

yyea sorry, i shouldve speficied ds88.....not just ds, because the 61 key doesnt have that great hammer keybed that 88 has. seriously, i like that keybed more than the rd800, the FA08 and DS are both more playable to me than the rd, the rd is like ultra thick, clunky and very un expressive...i guess you can get used to any keybed, but that doesnt mean its a good keybed

the drawback of the ds88 is its like 5 feet long :( ...and it really doesnt need to be..

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

I am talking about the " Superior Grand" sample found in FP-4, FP-7 ( I think) RD300GX and RD700SX.

I would like to find one of the above and a very good price on it.

But would also consider the CP-40 but as I said, I have not heard one.

Are you looking for an RD 700SX? I have one that I'd like to dump, just too lazy and busy to list it. PM me if you are interested.

Mills Dude -- Lefty Hack

I figured I would get some bites if I said what I might be looking for.

I haven't seen a RD700SX in a while, but as I recall it had some of the good classic Roland stuff contained within.

Will PM the above poster.

BTW... which action does the 700 SX have?

Archived