Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kong krome 88 vs nord stage classic keybed?

spanner

Hi I have just bought a Krome 88 from eBay ( yet to collect it).

Any ideas how it compares to the Nord stage classic key bed?

I have read that it is not that well regarded but have also read the same about the nord( which I like)

Many thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully the Krome checks off a lot of boxes for you. It does for me, but it's not going to win any accolades or awards for its action. The Nord Stage uses a Fatar TP-40 of some variation. I find it ok for playing a lot of sounds (jumping from Rhodes, to synth or organ) but not my favorite by far for piano. There's always a trade off when they need to build the action compact and light weight. I think you'll find the Krome is sluggish compared to the quickness of the TP-40, but you'll adjust as you get used to it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I agree with Elmer. Any version of the Fatar TP40 is better than the comparatively sluggish low end Korg 88s which are more in the Fatar TP100 category (used in the lighter weight weighted Nords).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I briefly played a Krome 88 in a guitar center and didn't like the action at all. I haven't played a Nord Stage, but my Kurzweil Forte has a TP-40L which should be similar to the Nord Stage - and I love it. It's heavy enough to feel good on acoustic piano programs, and light enough to feel good on synth, electric piano, and organ patches.

ive played sv1 which has the RH3 keys so the same as krome, and they are..ok....not awful...but not exactly inspiring. and very clicky......the stage 2 keybed is also not amazing....at least compared to the np2 or cp4 keys....which are the best imo. but the stage keys are definitely noticeably better than RH3, and i imagine that i could easily get used to and like the stage action, seeing how its also supposed to be for synth and organ...you dont want a pure hammer action when playing organ and synth.

something like the mox f8 by yamaha which is very comparable to krome....i think has a slightly better keybed....butt he interface is awful....the moxf8 really feels close to t he cp40 keys to me...

the thing i have realized about hammer action, is that jsut because a board has it doesnt mean its actually any good to play..

and a "bad" hammer action, is just bad,

i think i would take a good synth action over a bad mucky hammer action even for playing pianos...

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

To clarify the above:

SV1 uses RH3 which is the Kronos keybed, not the Krome.

The Krome 88 keybed is different (I think they call it NH) and I personally find it hard to love. Quite heavy and unresponsive.

I should add though that since you've already bought it, I'm sure you'll commit to getting used to it. I own a Krome 61 which has a keybed that increases the difficulty level of playing keys by a factor of 10, but I put up with it because I like the rest of the 'board so much.

ive played sv1 which has the RH3 keys so the same as krome

Sv1 and Krome use completely different keybeds (RH3 and NH)

the moxf8 really feels close to t he cp40 keys to me...

moxf8 has the cheapest Yamaha keybed, cp40 has one of the best.

https://www.long-mcquade.com/19769/Keyboards/Digital_Pianos/Korg/Stage_Vintage_Piano_-_73_Key_Black.htm

Korgs finest piano keyboard with Graded Hammer Action

https://www.long-mcquade.com/21964/Keyboards/Workstations/Korg/Kronos_Based_Music_Workstation_Keyboard_-_88_Key.htm

Korgs finest RH3 Graded Hammer Action

they both say "our finest graded hammer action".....i guess that fine print of RH3 inserted there means its different?

( i havent played the krome so I do not know) but i can see how they might actually have slightly different keybeds...

bottom line is, if the krome keybed is NOT RH3, and is of lesser quality, then well, it's not very good... :)

regarding the CP40 keybed, it feels basically the same as the mox to me, they both feel like middle-low end keys, the p255 has a better keybed imo....it's also come out later than the cp40 so it is not a surprise that it might slyly have a better more standard grade of quality :)

the cp40 is........i would never suggest anyone buy that piece of gear....

despite what some may want to believe about a board, based on its price, this isnt really true usually, price and amount of features doesnt = a good keybed....to me the cp40, has alot of sounds, and the display, and the "stage" aura to it, but its keybed is subpar.

if the cp40 is "one of the best" then yamaha has alot of work to do. besides the cp4 keybed is...the best...and basically all other ones pale in comparison...they are all way down there....mingled together....maybe the cp40 feels to you like the best of the non-cp4 keys, but i respectfully disagree :) .

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

https://www.long-mcquade.com/19769/Keyboards/Digital_Pianos/Korg/Stage_Vintage_Piano_-_73_Key_Black.htm

Korgs finest piano keyboard with Graded Hammer Action

https://www.long-mcquade.com/21964/Keyboards/Workstations/Korg/Kronos_Based_Music_Workstation_Keyboard_-_88_Key.htm

Korgs finest RH3 Graded Hammer Action

they both say "our finest graded hammer action".....i guess that fine print of RH3 inserted there means its different?

( i havent played the krome so I do not know) but i can see how they might actually have slightly different keybeds...

bottom line is, if the krome keybed is NOT RH3, and is of lesser quality, then well, it's not very good... :)

Krome is not RH3. The page at that link is messed up... it does picture a Krome but all the text in the description describes a Kronos, not a Krome. They messed up some copy-and-paste.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Well I managed to try the Krome today and while it was not as bad as I anticipated it was not as good as the Roland fa08, Yamaha moxf8 or the nord stage 2. Definite sponginess at the bottom of the key but I think that it is something an amateur like myself could get used to.

Unfortunately, the seller has pulled out of the deal even though I purchased via eBay.

So I am glad to keep my Nord stage classic but was looking forward to the "Fun" elements of the Krome.

Just to help others reading this thread, and to again clarify:

The Krome and SV-1/Kronos have completely different keybeds, and they feel completely different when you try them.

This is perhaps not surprising given the difference in price.

SV-1 and Kronos weighted models use RH3 (personally I quite like this keybed)

Krome weighted models use NH (as stated above I don't like this one so much)

yea i think that the difference in price could mean that one has a way better keybed....but it's not a given....there are lots of expensive boards out there with awful keybeds, and cheap ones with good keybeds.

my point is, never make your judgement based on price......make it based on how it feels.......do not even look at the price when you are trying different boards, close your eyes...and then whichever one you end up liking...well...lol, it might be really expensive...or it might not....

just because you pay a premium for a keyboard doesnt mean it has a good keybed. you might be paying for tons of sequencer options, or memory, a built in sampler, a D beam, whatever you get my drift

NordPiano2 Roland A-49

The Krome has the worst weighted action I've ever tried in a "pro" board...in my highly-subjective opinion of course :) That said, I'm sure I'd get used to it eventually.

I personally don't like the Roland weighted keybeds much, even on their expensive digitals, so perhaps there is something in common there. They feel "slow and spongy" if that makes sense. Also not a fan of the Kurzweil weighted actions that I've tried.

On the other hand, I loved the Nord Stage 2's keys when I tried it in the store...not sure if that is the same keybed as the classic.

I loved the Kawai MP11 as well, though it felt much "weightier" than the Nord's. The Nord action was very light.

99% of my piano playing has been on one particular upright piano, so I'm sure that skews things for me.

Archived