Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Particular Situation for New Keyboard

Nax

Hi everyone, new poster here. I was wondering if anyone could offer me some perspective in searching for a new keyboard considering my particular situation.

First off, I am going to be a junior in college. I would consider myself a professional-level player, and have gigged often both in and out of state.

As of right now, I have a fantastic rig (in my view, at least): Yamaha Motif XS6 and a Traynor Keymaster K4. I picked them both u a couple years back for only 1500 total, which was a total steal.

However, now I am a broke college student, and to be honest, I never really got into sound synthesis or any of the features of the motif that make it worth the price. I never did recording or processing or anything; I just used it as a piano/EP and bass split for jazz gigs.

In recent evaluation, I kinda want to sell the board and get something cheaper (and lighter) that will fit my needs better. All I really need is a good piano, bass and electric piano sound and the ability to split the keyboard bass/piano, bass/EP, etc.

Thanks!

TLDR: College student downgrading to a new keyboard for jazz gigs. Need good piano and bass sound and ability to split the keyboard.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is the current street price on a XS6?

The Casio is good at less than a grand. So is the Kawai ES-100. I like Yamaha but I'm not into Yamaha until the $1300 mark.

If you were close to me I would hook you up with an Kawai MP-5. That is collecting dust. Check Craigslist for used stuff.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

What is the current street price on a XS6?

The Casio is good at less than a grand. So is the Kawai ES-100. I like Yamaha but I'm not into Yamaha until the $1300 mark.

If you were close to me I would hook you up with an Kawai MP-5. That is collecting dust. Check Craigslist for used stuff.

I could get rid of it fairly quick at 1400

Nevermind I couldn't get anywhere near that. Probably like 800. Ebay priced it at like 750.

I don't have any hands on experience with one, but I'm betting you're going to get a lot of recommendations for a Casio PX5S.

Yep I have gotten a couple Casio recommendations in general. I like their old subtractive synths too but I can't really scrape together enough money for that yet.

Acoustic and electric pianos and the ability to split with a bass sound that's light and cheap.

Casio PX-5S, CGP-700, PX-360, PX-160

Roland DS88, RD-300NX

Yamaha CP-40, P-255, P-115

Kawai ES100

I heard about the Kawai K5000 but I never even thought to look into them for anything else.

I figured it would be mostly Casio, Yamaha and Roland though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Acoustic and electric pianos and the ability to split with a bass sound that's light and cheap.

I'd consider the PX-560 as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I'd consider the PX-560 as well.

This may narrow the options and I forgot to write this beforehand...

I only want a 5 octave keyboard

As of right now, I have a fantastic rig (in my view, at least): Yamaha Motif XS6 and a Traynor Keymaster K4....I kinda want to sell the board and get something cheaper (and lighter) that will fit my needs better. All I really need is a good piano, bass and electric piano sound and the ability to split the keyboard bass/piano, bass/EP, etc.

For LH bass, I would certainly try to replace the XS6 with something with more than 61 keys! And for your use, I assume you'd prefer a weighted action board anyway. Since your needs are minimal and budget is an issue, the $799 Kawai ES100 would be a nice choice, though the EPs have fx baked into them that you can't disable, so you have to make sure you're okay with that (the sounds themselves are pretty nice). A nice feature for your purposes is that (IIRC) it lets you setup registrations (single button recall) for the splits you like to use (i.e. the combination of sounds, the split point, the relative volume). If you want to spend less and can live without that last feature, you'd probably look at Casio PX-160, Yamaha P45/P115, Roland FP30. (And of course, more options open up if you're up for spending more, or perhaps looking at used stuff.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I only want a 5 octave keyboard

For split solo playing? Ouch! That means losing the weighted action too. I'd be inclined to at least stretch to a 7x-key like a Kurzweil SP4-7, or if on a tighter budget, maybe Yamaha NP-V60/80.

But okay, if you want to stick with 5 octaves, I'd probably go with the Yamaha MX61, which will give you pretty much the same sounds you're used to in the XS, in a compact, lightweight, simpler board. (Or if you want all the exact same voices as the XS, you can find that in the MOX6/MOXF6.) The comparably priced Roland and Korg 5 octave boards have actions even less suitable to piano playing, so I'd stick with the Yamaha.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Now you need to clarify action. Because most folks prefer a weighted action for Acoustic and Electric Pianos and that's not common in a 61 key keyboard. Also, doing splits on a little keyboard is pretty limiting for some styles of music.

Try the Roland RD-64.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I thought about the RD-64 too, at least providing a more appropriate action in a roughly 61-key board, but it doesn't do splits.

Nax, I'll throw in my 2 cents...picked up on your specs...

Jazz, Bass/split, Piano and EP

..these all lead ME to two PX-5s's (one as a backup)

..88 key, weighted action, only 25lbs, less then $1,000

..owned two older model Privia pianos before these...no failures

..The acoustic pianos are as good as any below $2K

..weighted key action is one of the best out there

..I usually work as a Duo and absolutely NEED good left hand Bass

..and it HAS to be a great left hand bass sound

I bought the Weiser Sound Bass pack and have configure Both pianos with a variety of Bass sounds; you really should know how to use the Casio editor to those these in and setup Bass-piano/EP/Wurly splits:

http://www.weisersound.com/#!casio-pro-bass-pack/c1n7t

..of course having a PFFATTT Bass amp helps to round out the sound! - I use a Bass amp for that..

I did consider a Privia PX-560 for the backup board...but it was not going to be able to import all the custom stage settings and tones I had acquired and configured for the PX-5S - some of these pulled from the casiomusicforums (over 500 PX-5s sound files posted by CASIO and User Community).

Archived