Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New or Used..

Bachus

I am helping a friend out with a new keyboard...

We are looking at a stage paino/masterkey/workstation...

We would love a stage 2 ex, but cant afford it..

When we are looking at new prices, only the Casio PX-5s fits in the budget..

And then my eye got cought by a Used Roland FA-08

Which is in my opinion a far superior instrument for his needs..

Espescially with the super naturall sounds...

So how am i going to convince someone that a used board can be a better choice then a brand new one?

Korg Kronos 88, Yamaha Tyros5 (76), Integra 7, macbook pro/mainstage

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So how am i going to convince someone that a used board can be a better choice then a brand new one?

Don't. If he has problems with it, to some extent, it can too easily be seen as "your fault," in his mind and/or in yours.

I think there's a basic personality thing that some people are not really comfortable with used stuff or just love the appeal of new... just like with cars, where it almost always makes no sense to buy new. Luckily, those people exist, because if people don't buy stuff new, the rest of us won't have anything used to choose from. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Good point. Make sure it's clear your buddy is making the decision for himself. But yes, a used board can be a way to get a more capable instrument for less money - of course. A lot of guys here on KC are long time posters and respectable people - it's a good place to start when looking for something.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/37/1/Garage_Sale_KC_Classifieds

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

My NS2 SW73 is in the Garage Sale. The only differences between mine and the new EX are the keys on mine go from F-F vs E-E, and 500MB vs 1000MB for piano samples. Where are you & your friend?

Here for the gear.

Don't. If he has problems with it, to some extent, it can too easily be seen as "your fault," in his mind and/or in yours.

I think there's a basic personality thing that some people are not really comfortable with used stuff or just love the appeal of new... just like with cars, where it almost always makes no sense to buy new. Luckily, those people exist, because if people don't buy stuff new, the rest of us won't have anything used to choose from. ;-)

Thanks for the advice...

I will take that in concideration, and leave the choice to him, witouth trying to convince him of my opinion...

I am probably to inclined of getting the best setup for bucks spend as possible.. And i dont mind (minor) scratches on my stuff, as long as they come with memmories of good times...

My NS2 SW73 is in the Garage Sale. The only differences between mine and the new EX are the keys on mine go from F-F vs E-E, and 500MB vs 1000MB for piano samples. Where are you & your friend?

We are in the lowwest Part of Holland, just Nord of Amsterdam..

And i dont mind (minor) scratches on my stuff, as long as they come with memmories of good times...

I once owned a baby grand piano in walnut that had cigarette buns on a couple places. I loved the character those burns gave the piano, and I don't smoke. Also once owned a Wurlitzer 112 that had a "ring stain" to the right of the sheet music rest from where someone always had their beer. Yes, memories of good times are awesome. :cool:

:nopity:

Everyone here knows how much I love the PX-5S, but if he wants a workstation it won't fit the bill. The PX-560 is close, but it is more of an arranger with "lite" workstation features.

Now regarding the used vs. new issue: Some people like the "new keyboard smell" and the having the peace of mind of a warranty.

How about the Korg Kross? I admit I don't know much about it, but it's $1000 US so the price is where he wants. Just something to check out...

Just one more thing: I was looking at a workstation before I went with the PX-5S. The figured any workstation functions are better handled by a DAW where I could choose the sequencer, have a full-screen to work with and import audio in a more streamlined way. A very personal thing - -- some people like to have an all-in-one keyboard. But again, something to consider. The PX-5S makes a really nice master MIDI controller - my whole studio is built around it.

For myself I only buy used, and from guitar center (or sam ash, but their selection isn't near GC). No-questions-asked return period to a local store is the reason.

Every board I've gotten used has been pretty much mint. I paid 875 for a VR700 with a rolling case; new, both would have been more than 2000.

I agree though that I wouldn't try to convince someone to go used. You do take a chance that something is wrong that might not be obvious (a longer return period really really helps with that though.)

Dulce's comment about workstation prompts me to revisit this from your post... Stage 2 EX is not a workstation. Exactly what is it that he needs, in terms of functionality? What are the things about the Nord that would make it fit the bill, if only it were cheaper?

I think the Roland FA-08 you mentioned is worth looking at for a stage piano that has some semblance of clonewheel organ and synth functionality, so in that respect, yeah, maybe a kind of poor man's Nord. Kawai MP7 could be another possibility, and maybe something in the Kurzweil Artis series.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I am helping a friend out with a new keyboard...

When we are looking at new prices, only the Casio PX-5s fits in the budget..

And then my eye got cought by a Used Roland FA-08

Which is in my opinion a far superior instrument for his needs..

Espescially with the super naturall sounds...

There seems to be quite a few 'used' for sale.

The cheapest is on our local CL:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/5721578205.html

If there are retail receipts on this, keyboard is flawless (?) and if the owner drops the price further, it could make for a smart purchase. FYI, I am not going for it.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Well unless you are independently wealthy it is hard to get some new stuff when you want it so used is sometimes the way to go. I will say I have had tons of problems, especially with Leslie cabinets and organs. Everyone of them needs parts and service...always. Very few are in mint condition and I have inherited a lot of problems which in a couple of cases I didn't break even on them. Keyboards are a little better because the technology is newer and most of the time parts are around.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Archived