Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Chick Corea at Catalina Bar and Grill in Hollywood

Jazzmammal

As a follow on to DB's post about the Bowl, I just got an email from a friend about this. Chick's there from August 17 through the 24th. Chick, Patitucci, Weckl, Gambale and Marienthal. Damn, what a group.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, is Dave Weckl the best drummer on the planet, or is he second to Vinnie Colaiuta?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I wish I could compare drummers, but the best I can do is say who does stuff that interests me. Right now, my top three in jazz might be Brian Blade, Will Kennedy, and Omar Hakim. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I am going next Friday 10:30. Anyone want to meet at the show?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Would love to meet you Dave but can't make Friday. We're going on Wed the 24th for the 8:30 show. We'll be there about 7 for dinner if anyone's interested.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

So, is Dave Weckl the best drummer on the planet, or is he second to Vinnie Colaiuta?

Just a personal preference, but I would prefer Gadd to either of the others:

[video:youtube]

Oh sheesh, what a great night for drummers! I have my preferences, but in this crowd, LOL who am I to critique! :D

On the other hand, if for one night only I could sit in with one of these power houses that have done the BR Memorial Concerts... I'd go for Dennis Chambers in '89.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Buddy Rich called, he says he's still the best. Even if he passed away close to thirty years ago. Apparently he's been doing rudiments on the inside of the coffin.

My older brother got to interview him in the late 1970s, while a DJ at a college station in Florida. He told him the studio was across campus and Buddy just got in the car with him, without hesitation. My brother could have been some psycho. Of course, Buddy was pretty tough.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

It is so much fun playing with a great drummer / bass player combination.
Montage 7, Mojo 61, PC-3, XK-3c Pro, Kronos 88, Hammond SK-1, Motif XF- 7, Hammond SK-2, Roland FR-1, FR-18, Hammond B3 - Blond, Hammond BV -Cherry

Archived