Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NPD: Pigtronix Quantum Time Modulator

Winston Psmith

I've been slowly building the 21st Century Pedalboard - very slowly - but I'm in no hurry, either. Instead of looking for classic or vintage tones, I want something more "bent", for lack of a more descriptive term. The QTM gets me pretty close.

On the face of it, it's a Chorus/Vibrato pedal, not exactly a ground-breaking concept. You've got a little Chorus/Vibe switch, and a Speed knob, but instead of Depth or Delay Time, you get one knob marked "Source" and another marked "Sensitivity". Turns out, it's an Envelope-driven Modulation effect. (@Caevan - think of some of the dynamically-driven effects in the Vortex.) Check out the videos, it's better than having me try to explain . . .

[video:youtube]

Couple of odd features; it runs off of either 9v or 18v, but it ships with an 18v adapter. Also, it has a TRS Out, so you can plug in a regular Instrument cable for Mono, or plug in a TRS cable for stereo. Kind of a PITA, because you'll need a special TRS-to-Dual TS cable for this arrangement. It's not expensive, but you probably don't have one just lying around. The QTM is MUCH more impressive in stereo, no surprise.

This one just about fills out the board. Last up will be some kind of Delay pedal, but for now, the Line 6 M5 is taking that space.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got one of those, too. I'm sure you're putting it to more drastic uses than I am, but I've found a couple of settings that really hit want I want. One one song, I use it while playing pretty percussive chords in the upper region of the neck, and received an interesting compliment the other week: One lady came up to me afterwards and asked where the steel drums were, then saw that it was timed to my strumming. I can see where she could get that impression.

And yes, it works best with an 18 volt power supply. I bought mine used without one, and it just wasn't the same when using a 9 volt Godlyke Pedal Power.

One thing I have found - it doesn't play well with my HBE Germanium treble booster. Gets really harsh and extra warpy. But maybe you'll take that as a source of inspiration, Winston!

Enjoy!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've been slowly building the 21st Century Pedalboard - very slowly - but I'm in no hurry, either. Instead of looking for classic or vintage tones, I want something more "bent", for lack of a more descriptive term. The QTM gets me pretty close.

On the face of it, it's a Chorus/Vibrato pedal, not exactly a ground-breaking concept. You've got a little Chorus/Vibe switch, and a Speed knob, but instead of Depth or Delay Time, you get one knob marked "Source" and another marked "Sensitivity". Turns out, it's an Envelope-driven Modulation effect. (@Caevan - think of some of the dynamically-driven effects in the Vortex.) Check out the videos, it's better than having me try to explain . . .

[video:youtube]

Couple of odd features; it runs off of either 9v or 18v, but it ships with an 18v adapter. Also, it has a TRS Out, so you can plug in a regular Instrument cable for Mono, or plug in a TRS cable for stereo. Kind of a PITA, because you'll need a special TRS-to-Dual TS cable for this arrangement. It's not expensive, but you probably don't have one just lying around. The QTM is MUCH more impressive in stereo, no surprise.

This one just about fills out the board. Last up will be some kind of Delay pedal, but for now, the Line 6 M5 is taking that space.

Nice. :cool: Much cooler than the more typical chorus pedal, in my humble opinion. I could enjoy that...

Expound on the expansion of its soundscape in stereo, if you would...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Nice. :cool: Much cooler than the more typical chorus pedal, in my humble opinion. I could enjoy that...

Expound on the expansion of its soundscape in stereo, if you would...

Nice alliteration, Caevan! Simple answer, it's very 3-dimensional. I expect it would be very impressive with a two-amp set-up, which is how Dweezil uses his. Some reviewers have compared it to the old Roland Dimension effect; I had one of the DC-2 pedals, and it's not quite the same. IMHO, the DC-2 was more like de-tuning, whereas the QTM will give you that slight seasick feeling.

Put a Boost or OD in front of it, to give it a little more 'bite', and maybe a Panner behind it, so you can really work that stereo spread. It does tend to change the dynamics of your signal when you cut it on. My first Pigtronix pedal, and I'm favorably impressed.

BTW, Caevan, there's a used Envelope Phase, the early model that's slightly curved, for $150 at my FLMS. Should I check it out?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

BTW, Caevan, there's a used Envelope Phase, the early model that's slightly curved, for $150 at my FLMS. Should I check it out?

I think you should. Worst thing that could happen is that you'll dig it. Though I think the second version is even better- and I will definitely, eventually, have one...

Personally, I like these better than the ubiquitous envelope-filter.

Incidentally, Bernie Worrell endorsed and had his own sig-model Pigtronix EP pedal...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived