Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Using an attenuator on a Leslie amplifier?

TKN

I am the happy owner of a well serviced Hammond A102 and a Leslie 21H. I want to run the organ and Leslie on full blast to get the natural distortion such as Jimmy Smith had, without straining my ears.

Have any of you any experience with installing an attenuator on the Leslie amplifier so that it can run at full volume, and then use a volume pot to reduce the loudness of the signal before it reach the speakers?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only option that might work is a power soak between the amp and the crossover. HOWEVER - this will not yield the same sound, as part of the distortion characterstics involve the sound of pushing the phenolic diaphragm in the V20/V21 to the limit of its capabilities.

I recommend ear plugs. :D

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I swapt out one of the 12au7 tubes on my 122---by dumb luck, it made the overdrive much more pronounced and just better. It was a NOS. You might want to experiment.
Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90

I am the happy owner of a well serviced Hammond A102 and a Leslie 21H. I want to run the organ and Leslie on full blast to get the natural distortion such as Jimmy Smith had, without straining my ears.

Have any of you any experience with installing an attenuator on the Leslie amplifier so that it can run at full volume, and then use a volume pot to reduce the loudness of the signal before it reach the speakers?

The Speakeasy AMA does this. It drives a load resistor instead of speakers and taps a line out which can then be used with a conventional clean power amp to drive the speakers.

It uses 10W tubes instead of 40W tubes so the load resistor can be much smaller. However the principle is the same. You won't get the sound of the speakers being driven hard in the cabinet but you will get the other 90%.

Moe

---

I'm not suggesting you get an AMA - they are unobtainium and you don't need one anyway.

They hook up organ -> AMA -> clean power amp -> leslie crossover.

You are wanting to put a power soak on your leslie amp output and still provide a 16 ohm load to the crossover. Seems like there should be a box available for that commercially.

Moe

---

OK, i will check that out.

I have also considered buying a Trek II ELB -1A effects loop, and use a Lounsberry Organ Grinder (or my Vent II on stop) for the overdrive instead of running the Leslie hard.

Attenuators promise more than they deliver. They promise to take a hurricane and make it small enough to fit in a bottle. What you end up is a tiny dustcloud. Part of excitement of a roaring tube amp is the power. If you reduce the power you suck the excitement out of the sound. Another analogy, if you make an elephant the size of a mouse do you have a small but powerful elephant? No you have a funny looking mouse. I have tried almost all the attenuators you can get on my marshalls. I went back to master volume amps. The attenuated marshal just sounded like a squashed buzz machine. I doubt it would be better on a leslie.

FunMachine.

Well said, BF!!

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Volume is tone.

That said .... For guitar amps the Rivera RockCrusher Recording is a great attenuator. Played with a guy that attenuated his 2 Trainwrecks with one...... But then again they were Trainwrecks!

That said..... I would never dream of putting an attenuator on a Leslie especially one that had a Jensen V21.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I have played in front of many Marshalls. Some had power soaks or load boxes, others had master volumes.

The finest sounding semi low volume rigs I ever played with were my two lead players in Sky High. They ran 50W Marshall heads into a 32 ohm load - 2 Celestions in blond Bassman cabinets. FWIW..

Moe

---

I'm not suggesting you get an AMA - they are unobtainium and you don't need one anyway.

They hook up organ -> AMA -> clean power amp -> leslie crossover.

You are wanting to put a power soak on your leslie amp output and still provide a 16 ohm load to the crossover. Seems like there should be a box available for that commercially.

Moe-

Why would you run the output of the AMA into a clean power amp vice the Leslie tube amp?

The AMA has a Hammond AO-28 preamp and leslie 122 power amp equivalent in it. The preamp and power amp are of course tube and all the tone comes from driving the tubes hard.

In my experience, the frying eggs creamy overdrive sound comes from power amp tubes being driven hard, not just preamp tubes.

The AMA uses a 10W 6V6 pair instead of the 40W 6550 pair found in a real leslie amp, and can either drive a speaker directly with its 10W, OR a built in load resistor which provides a line output.

To have total control of your tone and volume, use the line output and then use a clean solid state power amp. The AMA is not just about getting tone at low volume, but also tone at very loud volume with high power leslies.

My rig can summon 1100 watts if I need to stun mammoths, or I can fry eggs at a whisper.

Moe

---

Ah, I didn't realize it had the amp stage as well. I drive my 147s with a SE Vintage Tube pre. By keeping the volume low on the 147s I get plenty of crunch, especially in "Howler" mode. And I still get more than enough volume in my studio. But for live use your system sounds killer.

Thanks for the clarification.

Archived