Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Steely Dan Aja - 33 1/3 book by Dan Breithaupt

Sam Mullins

For those unfamiliar with the 33 1/3 book series: it is 100-odd short books, with each one centered on a single pop album. I recently read the book on Steely Dan's Aja (published 2007) and loved it. It is a rare combination of:

- musical analysis (lyrical themes and structure, chord progressions, how they work together, etc.)

- historical context

- inside stories from Mr. Fagen and some of the session players.

A couple excerpts follow.

On some of their less obvious influences, including this about the Beatles:

(Fagen) "The main thing we got from the Beatles was the idea that each album should be a gift. You shouldn't take it lightly. I remember in the sixties, starting with Rubber Soul, they'd come out with an album, and it always seemed like they'd worked on it really hard so it wouldn't be disappointing". (Breithaupt) So, while their contemporaries were making off with entire Lennon/McCartnet melodies and turns of phrase, Steely Dan stole the Beatles' work ethic.

On it's place in musical landscape of the 70's:

"...a sense of exhilaration that comes at least in part from the sense that boundaries are being tested, rules of pop conduct are being subverted - not subverted Velvet Underground-style, where craft is set aside in favor of studied simplicity, but subverted by craft itself. When the cultural bar has been lowered to the point of absurdity, the only revenge worthy of the name comes from reestablishing standards lost to laziness and expediency."

Highly recommended.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not read this particular one, but it is a cool series. A good friend and ex-bandmate of mine wrote the Exile on Main St. book, which is, speaking objectively, excellent. I have some acquaintances that wrote some of the others They are all, or at least mostly written by musicians about albums they love, with the approach left completely open to the author. They are physically small books - readable in a good sitting, all written with love, and I have not come across a bad one.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

A good friend and ex-bandmate of mine wrote the Exile on Main St. book, which is, speaking objectively, excellent.

Cool! I will have to check that one out. The only other one I have reqd is on Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark. It was pretty good, but not nearly as good as Aja. Very focused on the lyrics (which are undeniably great) but read like a college poetry analysis text.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

A good friend and ex-bandmate of mine wrote the Exile on Main St. book, which is, speaking objectively, excellent.

Just ordered mine. $12.70 with free 2 day shipping on Amazon Prime. One of my favorite albums of all time.

thanks

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Highly recommended.

Sam, you're my new best friend. Thanks!

Is There Gas in the Car? :cool:

I'm honored and of course there's gas in the car (and beer in the fridge - ballast point tonight). I'm surprised you hadn't heard of it already, but glad I posted now. I'm sure you will enjoy. I used to read a lot and in the last few years I've fallen out of the habit. In addition to being a wonderful treatment of the subject, this book is so well-written that it has jump-started my reading routine.

www.stickmanor.com

(and beer in the fridge - ballast point tonight)

glad to hear the day job is going well. :laugh:

I know..most of it (particularly the Sculpin) is pretty steep. They had a sale on the Mango Keel session ale for $9 a six.

www.stickmanor.com

(and beer in the fridge - ballast point tonight)

glad to hear the day job is going well. :laugh:

I know..most of it (particularly the Sculpin) is pretty steep. They had a sale on the Mango Keel session ale for $9 a six.

I just read recently that Ballast Point was bought out by Constellation Brands, Inc. for 1 Billion bucks. (Yes, that's Billion with a B). Kind of alters my perception of "micro" brewery.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I just read recently that Ballast Point was bought out by Constellation Brands, Inc. for 1 Billion bucks. (Yes, that's Billion with a B). Kind of alters my perception of "micro" brewery.

Yikes.

www.stickmanor.com

• 1 year later...

Someone linked to this old thread. I mentioned this book series to my brother, who has written movie and jazz reviews for decades in various publications, and he was familiar with it. He said the one about Celine Dion is absolutely brutal.

Let's Talk About Love: A Journey to the End of Taste

:D

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Does it have pictures? I am tempted to get the Kindle edition, but I don't want to miss out (I have ye-olde kindle).

It's unclear which book you're referring to from your post, but no, as a rule these books do not contain pictures. That is true of the Aja book, but I cannot guarantee that the Celine book won't contain numerous photographic elements to make your purchaser more (less?) appealing for you. :2thu:

Archived