Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Montage gigging experiences?

fjzingo

An integra was on sale in the local store so I went to check it out as a complement to my nord stage 2. Sounded ok, but the interface was not very straightforward. Next to it was a yamaha montage, and I ve really missed having a workstation kind of synt since I sold off my motif, Zapp used it for their european tour. :-)

Anyhow, I just forgot about the integra and decided to go for a montage instad, but before final deciscion I decide dto check with you weekend warrior, pros, amat8eurs, .... what is youre experiences from gigging this board? There is only red stuff on the stages here :-)

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just realize it really isn't a workstation kind of synth, it's a performance synth. A lot of people are crying "foul" because they expected it to have the same sequencer as the Motif. It does have a sequencer, but it's very basic -- more of a MIDI controller. So for stage work, you are fine. Just wanted to give you a heads up if you indeed wanted a workstation with a bona fide sequencer.

If I understand the manual correctly, the 'big' sounds (pianos, strings and more) are comprised of several performance parts. The piano itself is 4 or 5 of 16 available slots. So if you plan on using it for multitimbral work, make sure it's going to do what you need.

A friend wanted to try mine out. I sat in the audience as he used it for an outdoor gig during the day, followed by an indoor show that night. It sounded good but I had to slip onto stage by the third song and show him how to cut back on the reverb. Every time he changed patches he had to edit the effects and cut back reverb. Between shows we did some editing and it sounded much better. While the effects is easy to edit we were wishing for a disable button.

The only other issue to be aware of is the inability to put the Montage in a multitembrel mode that allows you to play some patches from external keyboards. Setting up splits and ranges is easy, but no option to assign parts to external MIDI.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

If I understand the manual correctly, the 'big' sounds (pianos, strings and more) are comprised of several performance parts. The piano itself is 4 or 5 of 16 available slots. So if you plan on using it for multitimbral work, make sure it's going to do what you need.

My understanding of the Yamaha position is its has multi part and single part pianos. Multi part are intended for isolated highly expressive piano work, single part are meant to be great in fuller band mixes where that level of nuance couldn't be discerned.

I haven't tested this theory. I want a montage personally, it's great for what and how I perform. No rush, I might wait for the Moxf type version to come out at 40% the cost

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Add, I agree with rabid, that Yamaha reverb thing really is odd, it's an omnipresent preset/default setting at X-hall 50% return on all of their boards. It's the same on my XF and Moxf. Easy enough to trim it back, it's the first thing I change before any sound design. but ya have to wonder wtf are they thinking?
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Seems like there are some oddities and quirks. I will only use it as a performance board to complement my stage ro electro so the lack of sequencer is of less concern. Sampling or rather, sample playback, seems also to be difficult to program which is a concern of mine. Any experiences in working with smples?

Another key driver for owning a motif has been the motifator site, is there something similar or as good for montage?

Yamahasynth.com is where you find bad mister these days (Phil). There's a lot of info in their montage forum.

Motifator didn't add a section for montage, you find some sparse items in Mo Lounge but not much and it doesn't look like it will expand or add at this point.

One of the local places had one set up with the exp pedal controlling the blinkenknopf, and it sounded pretty good on the string patches, bringing in more strings, rather than just the same strings but louder. Not that you can't set up that sort of thing on your existing kit, just that Yamaha have done the spadework. I've always liked FM strings so I'll probably look to just add some FM to what I have already. I did d/l and read the manual but found it hard to find some basic tweaks, such as vibrato speeds, without reference to it.

Archived