Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roll your own guitars #3 (I think #3)

desertbluesman

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Y'know...

Since I can remember, since I was a kid and couldn't put together those AMT model car kits WITHOUT invariably getting a thumbprint on their "windows" or SOMEWHERE on the body in glue, I've had a poor record of putting things together.

And there's ALWAYS sccrews left over when assembling those SAUDER furniture pieces, so I'll leave these guitar kits alone. They seem very reasonably priced, so if anyone has the knack, it's well worth it. But sadly, there's NO SUCH THING as "foolproof" when it comes to ME building ANYTHING! :D

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

A while back, GFS had a huge stock of random parts, from different factories, for ridiculously cheap prices. It looked like a great way to 'roll yer own', except I wasn't sure what scale length the various mis-matched bodies & necks were built for, and not all of them were clearly marked.

Still, good source for cheap parts . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I would have pulled the trigger on one of those set neck Strats in a heartbeat if they had 22 frets. I use the 22nd fret on every guitar I own several times every day, so a 22nd fret is absolutely necessary or I would not enjoy the guitar. On my 24 fret Ibanez RG, I use all 24 in my practice sessions.

I like the looks of that narrow necked blonde double humbacker flamed maple xv570 semi hollow jazz box for $249...and I would add a case for $85 and add a vibrato...but I would have to feel and hear one first... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

A while back, GFS had a huge stock of random parts, from different factories, for ridiculously cheap prices. It looked like a great way to 'roll yer own', except I wasn't sure what scale length the various mis-matched bodies & necks were built for, and not all of them were clearly marked.

Still, good source for cheap parts . . .

For some reason, Johnny Cash's "One Piece at a Time" just flashed in my head...

I could almost hear him singing the altered lyrics, "Well, it was a Telecaster, Stratocaster, Firebird, SG, Flying V, Steinberger, White Falcon, Les Paul electric guitar..."

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Every cheapo guitar I buy needs some kind of upgrade, frets leveled, re-soldering electronics, pickup replacement, but when done right (by me) it is a real cheap solution for getting a guitar worth many times more then you have in it. For those too meek to put a file to frets and redo electronics it is a no no. For us brave souls who do not mind ruining a $200 investment, it is a go (if we get it right).

Of course my Agile Strat Clone which is as good at least as a Fender American Deluxe Strat for play-ability and tone, does not have the resale value the Fender does, but I got 1/3rd the price in it and never foresee selling it. And I have had years of playing pleasure with it so far. But again I do all the luthier work myself, if I had to pay a luthier, the name brand option would be best. Of course I would have had to modify the Fender American Deluxe at $1,400 to make it playable the way I like it, which would have ruined the value of the original instrument. So I chose the cheapo option.

Archived