Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for other Roli Seaboard Users...

podmed

Hello everyone. Been on this forum for years, but have not posted before.

Been playing a Roli Seaboard 49 with Equator for a few months and love it.

Anyone else here using Equator - and more specifically, anyone sharing info on pitches, sound creation, etc.

I don't see an active Users Group online.

Thanks!

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How does your keyboard technique transfer over to it? I was thinking about getting one, but it looks like it wouldn't have the tactile feedback you get from a keyboard, especially on fast runs.

How does your keyboard technique transfer over to it? I was thinking about getting one, but it looks like it wouldn't have the tactile feedback you get from a keyboard, especially on fast runs.

Regarding keyboard technique, I am typically a hard-hitting rock piano / B3 player. The Roli is extremely sensitive to velocity, therefore this took ALOT of getting used to. Although, any MIDI parameter can be adjusted, it still took a few weeks to make it sound presentable in a professional band situation.

The Roli certainly makes me feel much more connected to the music, and I have had nothing but compliments from other musicians who have never heard one.

I just wish I could make their Software, Equator, more useful in a live setting without it sounding like a John Williams score! :crazy:

Nord Stage 3-88, Kronos 2-61, DSI OB-6, Roli Seaboards / Blocks, Crumar Seven / Mojo61, iOS apps, Arturia Lab 61...

I have a Seaboard Rise 49 as well. While I did pick it up a few months ago, I've hardly had any time to develop my technique on it - as shortly after that a bunch of new gigs came in. And this keyboard is definitely not plug n' play for stage, or studio. There is an ever growing collection of vids and tutorials available though, from ROLI and 3rd-party sources. Jordan Rudess did an excellent demo of the Rise 49 at Sweetwater's GearFest 2016, which I had the fortune to take in while I was there. Lots of helpful stuff in that presentation. It might be up by now on YouTube.

So far I've discovered some very evocative sounds in Equator, and in Noise - for iPad. There are Chapman Stick tones and Moogish leads that are very powerful; and no lack of huge pads and other-worldly sounds. However, I did discovered that the Rise 49 will not power from an iPad via USB. So if you want to check out Noise on an iPad, you'll need to pick up a compatible AC/DC adapter.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 2 months later...

Bumping this up to see if we have more users among us, or anyone who wants to give a detailed description. I am very interested in how well it can be used with 3rd party sounds sources. I know U-HE Diva addresses the Rise specifically. Wondering how it would be with something like an OB-6 module......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

Archived