Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: New Star Trek Series

Synthoid

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see Star Trek Beyond last Friday with my oldest son in an IMAX theater seats probably 400. There were less than 25 people in there.

This is a movie with an 83% score in Rotten Tomatoes - certified fresh. I loved it - more than this year's Batman v Superman, Captain America, X-Men... seen 'em all. Star Trek Beyond was way better than any of them, but is probably not going to break even.

I wish the TV show luck, but I fear for the franchise. I guess only old people are interested in Star Trek anymore :(

I wish the TV show luck, but I fear for the franchise. I guess only old people are interested in Star Trek anymore :(

It's difficult to predict. There were mixed reactions when the new Star Trek movie debuted in 2009. Obviously J.J. Abrams has a different vision than Gene Roddenberry. It took me awhile to warm up to the new characters and story.

Let's see what happens with this new series.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Guess I'm old then...... :(:(:(

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

No sale for me. CBS can kiss my giblets before I sign up for CBS All Access. I say that as a fan of Star Trek, at least pre-Abrams. I watched ST:TOS in its first syndication run as a teenager (I might have seen an episode or two during original airing but I was pretty young), I was thrilled but confused when the first movie came out, relieved by the second movie and overjoyed when ST came back to television as ST:TNG. Heck, I even watched Deep Space Nine and Voyager. I did my best to like Enterprise but just couldn't.

I'd be willing to give the new series a chance, even if it's set in the Abrams ST universe, but not if I have to pay extra for it.

I'd be willing to give the new series a chance, even if it's set in the Abrams ST universe, but not if I have to pay extra for it.

Just wait until it's on Netflix. :laugh:

Definitely want to check out the new series. I still want to see the current "Star Trek" in the movie theaters. Has generally gotten good reviews.

looking forward to the new series, but I hate the Abrams action approach to the new movies..ST was about ideas and a vision of the future, not run of the mill Hollywood action...

NORD STAGE 2, IPAD 2 with lots of soft syths

Roland td9 expanded

Guitars, basses, Pod Xtl, GT-10b

Garritan, Reason, Symphonic Choirs , Cubase, Sibelius

Three shelter cats

Posting this for those who haven't heard about the new Star Trek TV series.

Looking forward to the launch. ...

I hope it gets off to a better start than previous series. It always seems to be season three when a series starts to get good. I don't know if modern networks will give a show that long.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I'm like Zzzzzzzzzzzzz. The thought of putting it on a pay to view version of CBS makes it a total no-go for me, and this is coming from a dyed in the wool Sci-Fi geek who is, unfortunately, in the demographic Bill H refers to. Yeah, the CBS thing raises it to a whole new level of pissedoffidness for me!

I've considered dropping Dish. The only thing that keeps me on it is local news and sports. If the CBS local station streaming includes the small town station near by that will solve the local new deficiency and I might just make the move. For me, cost(CBS + Netflix + Amazon Prime + Hulu) x 4 < cost(Dish). There are a few Food Network and DIY shows that are popular in my house. If I can secure access to them I'm good to go.

Oh, no. One more thing. Need to figure out how to watch ESPN3 without logging in with my Dish account.

I've considered dropping Dish. The only thing that keeps me on it is local news and sports.

Oh, no. One more thing. Need to figure out how to watch ESPN3 without logging in with my Dish account.

Ain't gonna happen. Sports is the only thing tying us to sat/cable and it was a brilliant marketing move. Everybody has known for years that regular programming is moving online which is why the cable companies shelled out billions for the NBA, NFL, and MLB. I seriously tried to cut the cord last year, I checked out all the various versions of the online League Pass things and none provided real time games of the local teams. They're all blacked out even if you pay for the full service. It's sat/cable or nothing for your local sports. If you want to give up being a fan of your local teams and become a fan of another cities teams, that would work because the online sports bundles give you the entire league's games just not your local teams.

If I'm wrong now and this has changed I'd love to hear it.

As to ST, it has always been much more intellectual than Star Wars or the Marvel comic book movies. More story than action and that has been a tougher sell for a big budget CGI movie. There certainly have been exceptions like Avatar but then it had this political undertone going on which fits the times.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

Star Trek for me will be about the characters...good or bad. Plot helps too! But the chemistry of the characters is what I look for. TNG started off terribly IMO but got better...it helped that they got rid of Tasha Yar (sp?) but there still were too many blah characters just hanging around all the time. Did Riker actually *do* anything in all those years? Councilor Troi...just blah. But data and Picard of course were great.

I thought DS9 had great characters; I just wasn't all that fond of the setting or the whole conflict between the two races whose names now escape me!

Voyager...well, a couple good ones. Enterprise: better than I expected. Not a big fan of Scott Bakula though.

So we'll see. The original series, for all it's warts and $17 per episode budget, still had that awesome chemistry. I'm not huge on the new movies but they did a great job with casting Spock and McCoy :)

Just...no more revenge movies. Please. There are other stories out there.

I thought DS9 had great characters; I just wasn't all that fond of the setting or the whole conflict between the two races whose names now escape me!

The founders and the Kardashians, er, um, Cardassians?

:roll:

Rom (Max Grodénchik)from DS9 is my inspiration. Watching him lets me know that no matter how bad you are, if you catch a break you can be on TV. Even I could stand around in makeup saying "Duh.... I don't know." For me that is the worst repeating character in any series.

Ah, DS-9. I really enjoyed that show, despite criticism from one friend calling it "deep-sleep 9." One of my favorite characters was Odo, played by René Auberjonois. Actually, I didn't like Odo at first, but watching his character develop over the years was priceless.

http://www.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/kiranerys/meridian_041.jpg

Overall though, I thought all the new ships and characters added during the war with the founders became rather tedious at times.

Jeffrey Combs, perhaps best known for Re-Animator, played some great characters in some of the post-TNG series. I especially dug him as Shran.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

These shows often need time to put it all together; sometimes they never do. The 6th or 7th season of TNG had some fantastic episodes.

I know it's not Trek, but the 5th (iirc) season of Babylon 5 was the best tv I'd ever seen at the time (Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones have upped the ante!). And I absolutely hated Babylon 5 when it first started.

Archived