Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

'Stranger Things' on Netflix. Great Synth Score

SpPiano

Thought you guys might like to check out the show 'Stranger Things' on Netflix. Very cool synth score throughout the show. Here's an article where the two composers mention using a Prophet 6 heavily Stranger Things Synth Score I found myself pausing the show and running over to my Prophet 6 to have some fun with the sequencer and try to recreate some of the themes.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I binge watched this and it was really great fun... think E.T., Gremlins, and The Goonies all rolled into one with a Dungeons & Dragons meets Aliens spin. Great childhood memories including the score and artwork.

The score to Drive was really synthy too a few years ago.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Not to mention Poltergest, Firestarter/IT (early Stephen King for sure) and The Thing/Escape from New York--the last especially due to the score, reminds me a lot of John Carpenter's soundtracks.

I was curious as to whether they used hardware synths or software, was going to look it up!

I binge watched this and it was really great fun... think E.T., Gremlins, and The Goonies all rolled into one with a Dungeons & Dragons meets Aliens spin. Great childhood memories including the score and artwork.

I hadn't heard of this show (don't have Netflix anymore), but you sold me on this. :) I'm a sucker for anything 80's (well, almost).

It's 80s retro almost to the point of "we are making an 80s retro show". Not a negative in my book :) Posters on the wall, soundtrack, clothes/hairstyles (though I don't recall so much 1940s-spinster-style on the girls back then, it was a little more new wave in my area...).

I finished the series and what a great last episode. The chief and Mike's older brother in particular did a bangup acting job. The scenes with the chief's daughter in the hospital were a giant kick in the gut...wow that was tough stuff.

I think my only negatives were that a couple of the kids weren't the greatest actors (yet; they seemed very young so I'm probably being overly-critical)....and the monster to me was underwhelming. The first scene when it was chasing Mike was horrifying, but after that it seemed to clomp around growling and roaring. Seemed like they could have done better with that thing, but just my opinion obviously!

My wife and I just finished binging this show (had to get it done before school started back up). We checked it out just on a lark because we were looking for something new to watch. I like how they chose a lot of music from that era that is lesser known. I also had fun spotting Tupperware pieces that my mom still owns.

I have read that Stranger Things' official Twitter account has said that a soundtrack is on the way. I have not, however, found anything that details how much of it will be the synth score. Hopefully a decent percentage.

Live rig: Roland FA-08, Yamaha MOTIF ES 6, laptop for supplemental sounds.

I would think so, everything I heard on it sounded like synth. There was one classical strings bit, kind of stuck out in a good way :) Of course there are a number of pop tunes in the episodes, hopefully that won't be the whole soundtrack (Foreigner, Corey Hart etc). In particular I liked a theme from the last couple episodes...found it on youtube, it's actually something by Vangelis ("Fields of Corals"). I could have sworn it was Tangerine Dream, soundwise and themewise it could have been something from the Legend Sountrack.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL3jSgR9ySE

• 2 months later...

Archived