Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT...Rock Movies

TH's thread about Andre 3000 / Jimi movie got me thinking.

What's your take on Oliver Stones "The Doors"? (or any other rock n roll movies)

I personally think it's one of my favorite Stone movies. (Especially enjoyed seeing Meg Ryan in the Buff) :D

Any takers?

LynnG

Lynn G

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Purple Rain". For documentaries, I really love "Buena Vista Social Club". Okay, the latter's not really rock. Usually, I don't like rock movies, but...I heard great things about "...Shadows of Motown", but still haven't seen it.

Are we talking documentary/biography, or any Rock oriented movie?

documentaries:

The Filth and the Fury

The Beatles Anthology

non-documentary:

The Wall

Rock and Roll High School

A Hard Day's Night

-Matt M

Use the search function and you'll find at least one previous thread illustrating movies about figures from music, be they rock, jazz, etc. musicians. ;)

Not a problem to rehash it. Just letting you know there's a wealth of information on another thread regarding these movies.

edit: Almost forgot... The greatest rock movie of all time has to be "A Hard Days Night". ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Everyone knows the greatest rock movie is Spinal Tap. Period, end of story, the end.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

Everyone knows the greatest rock movie is Spinal Tap. Period, end of story, the end.

Great movie, but not even close to A Hard Day's Night. And I adore the creative genius of Michael McKean, Christopher Guest, and Harry Shearer, but there's no comparison, IMO. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I just watched the last Jack Black movie on DVD. I think it was called Rock School (Yeah, I just saw it last night, I'm bad with titles). Not bad. Pretty funny.

I gotta agree with 'A Hard Days Night' as top dog. Paul's grandfather is just too clean. :D

Spinal Tap is right there though.

Woodstock, The Song Remains the Same, Hail, Hail Rock n Roll are my personal favs.

I've never seen and would love to see 'Ladies and Gentlemen The Rolling Stones'. Have any of you seen this, and why don't the Stones release it on DVD?

Haha - Me bread's too small - great movie !!!

Woodstock, Monterey, yep, the young Bob Dylan movie where only certain people owned 'out of the box' style thinking - oh yeah the conformists against the nons - hehe forgot about those days...

The Mighty Wind wasn't as good as I hoped but it's hard to top all that Spinal Tap stuff...

Th Rise and Fall of Led Zeppelin was very cool ! How the West Was Won spanning their career...

I wonder if anyone taped the Altanta Pop Festival - was it 1972 or something ? That would be cool...

"Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio. Terrific guiter throughout the movie. Not the greatest plot or acting, but I enjoyed it.

Rising Low by Mike Gordon (about the bass players who helped Gov't Mule make their new album after Alan Woody died) is a must-see.

Phish's "Bittersweet Motel" is a fun look at the band and has some great live music on it.

What is the name of Zappa's film with the claymation? I saw it many moons ago and forgot the name...

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

I still get a huge kick out of "Still Crazy"...
Signatures can appear at the bottom of your posts. This option may be disabled by the message board administrators at any time, however. You may use UBB Code in your signature, but not HTML. UBB Code Images are permitted.

And speaking of parodies... before Spinal Tap there was The Rutles :thu:

Lest you think I'm all about silliness and parodies, I was very impressed with the telling of Ritchie Valens' story in La Bamba. Great soundtrack by Los Lobos, Brian Setzer and a few others. :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by comfortat:

"Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio. Terrific guiter throughout the movie. Not the greatest plot or acting, but I enjoyed it.

Sorry, but......yuck!

What is the name of Zappa's film with the claymation? I saw it many moons ago and forgot the name...

You're thinking of Baby Snakes. Yeah, that was a cool movie. That whole 'blow up love doll' scene was pretty funny.

I once saw a Doors concert film that was fantastic! I don't remember the title, but it was really well done. Morrison was amazing, and the band was spot on. I LOVED it!

Does anybody remember a film called "Breaking Glass"?

I used to see it on Nightflight once in a while. I remember liking it....of course, that was 20 years ago(!), maybe it sucked.

There was another one, "Rude Boy", starring The Clash, that I remember.

"Sid & Nancy" was good but really sad. Of course, Sid was more of an icon than a musician. But I still think it qualifies.

Let's not forget "Reform School Girls" starring Wendy O. Williams. Now there's a classic! :D

Oh, and this was interesting:

I was in a home improvement mega-store one day, and they had a bunch of video tapes sitting in a bin for a few bucks each. So I bought this short film called "Arena Brains" which stared, of all people, Micheal Stipe. And this was back when he had hair!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Super 8:

Does anybody remember a film called "Breaking Glass"?

I used to see it on Nightflight once in a while. I remember liking it....of course, that was 20 years ago(!), maybe it sucked.

Yeah...I saw that once too. I think the featured singer/actor was Hazel O'Connor?

How about "Quadrophenia?" For that matter, "The Kids Are Alright"?

And I've always been a nut for "Phantom of The Paradise"...Brian DePalma directing and Paul Williams (!) writing the songs. A great sendup of glam and the major labels in the '70s. Some great songs too. And Jessica Harper. :love:

this house is empty now...

Still Crazy is a great film!!!

Almost Famous and The Doors would have to be in there.

I saw Detroit Rock City recently, maybe not one of the greatest, but I enjoyed it for killing a couple of hours.

Anyone remember a film called Airheads?? Think it starred Brendan Fraser & Steve Buscemi before they became a little more famous. Seem to remember that being quite funny, but I was a lot younger and probably had a(n even more) juvenile sense of humour...

My sister gave me A Hard Days Night on DVD for Xmas, haven't watched it yet tho...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Anyone ever seen the movie "Zechariah"?

I saw it back in '78 at the "Midnite Movies". It opened with this guy riding his horse as fast as he could across the plain. It cut back and forth between that and "The James Gang" standing out in the desert jammin'. The jam was like a rumble that grew as the intro built to a crescendo. Joe Walsh looked like a junkie the way he was lurching around.

The movie is about two young guys who get their first gun. They practice and practice 'til they get real good, and then become gunfighters. The two guys are best friends.

Finally, (forget the other one's name) challenges Zechariah after they have killed everyone in a contest. Zech says, "You and me are not on the same trip." and walked away.

I liked it alot. But then, it coulda been the windowpane. :freak:

If you don't wanna be nibbled, don't play with the bunny.

God created Eve and me, not Steve and me. - Adam

I didn't care for Stone's "The Doors." While I thought the performances were good and I also appreciated seeing Meg's goodies, the direction was a little heavy handed and the imagery was repetitive and obvious.

Rock movies I do like include:

The Buddy Holly Story

American Graffiti (the background music made the movie)

Hail, Hail Rock and Roll (what can I say- I love 50s rock-n-roll)

The Commitments

Aerosmith: the Making of Pump

Sid and Nancy

The Kids are Alright

"Tap" has to be the all-time best.

"Bring On The Night," a supposed-documentary about Sting's first road band after "Blue Turtles" came out was enjoyable for me, except for just a few too many interviews with Sting being all humble and introspective. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it!

band link: bluepearlband.com

music, lessons, gig schedules at dennyf.com

STURGEON'S LAW --98% of everything is bullshit.

My Unitarian Jihad Name is: The Jackhammer of Love and Mercy.

Get yours.

Originally posted by Dennyf:

[QB"Bring On The Night," a supposed-documentary about Sting's first road band after "Blue Turtles" [/QB]

Oh yeah, I liked that one too. It was cool to see the tour of that old mansion they recorded in going on while the band was jamming. Pretty funny.

I enjoyed watching Miles Copland arguing with the band members when it came time to start discussing percentages. It always gets nasty when the money starts getting discussed...

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Some of my Favs:

Quadrophenia

Kids are Alright

Almost Famous

Spinal Tap

The Point by Harry Nilson

Rocky Horror

I know I'm forgetting something

I saw Breaking Glass on USA a few time back in the 80's. Yup I think it was Hazel O'Connor. I remember liking it.

Searching for a new sig

Archived