Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finding New Bands

RobP2

Anyone got any tips / good sites for finding new bands and work in the UK?

There's a few band sites such as Join My Band, Band Mix and others, but I find they have a high ratio of time wasters or hobby-level players happy to play free pub gigs. I'm registered on StarNow but that is mostly acting jobs.

Word of mouth has got me some good work, plus plenty of dep work, but it seems hard to find a good decent working band at the moment!

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish i could help you. It's hard enough here in L.A. to find the right group of musicians.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

time wasters or hobby-level players happy to play free pub gigs

That and bands with too many guitar players have kept me from any serious gigs lately. :(

Hang in there though.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Add Gumtree to your list of sites to check, they have a Musicians Wanted/Available section. Where I am there's a fairly good variety of originals, hobbyists and function bands posting there.

If you do FB, see if there's a local musicians group. The ones round me mostly people advertising gigs and jams but people are sometimes there looking for musicians. The UK-wide ones are hopelessly busy and mostly aimed at cruise ships.

In my experience there's nothing better than word of mouth, so my best advice would be to see if there are any good local jams. They can be hit and miss but if you can find one with a good core of musicians they're a great place to network.

I hear that lol....one band recently were looking for a keys player to "fill in some sounds under the guitar solos..."

Good call on Gumtree, never thought of that will check it out

Thanks guys!

time wasters or hobby-level players happy to play free pub gigs

That and bands with too many guitar players have kept me from any serious gigs lately. :(

Hang in there though.

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Archived