Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to see one of your favorite bands live...

Synthoid

I was just thinking about this tonight--what are your expectations when attending a concert? Obviously the band isn't going to play every song note for note and "sound for sound" like the original recording, but sometimes it just sounds awful. I know all bands have a bad night once in awhile, but some just aren't that great live and/or they leave out important parts.

I've been fortunate over the years with most of the live concerts I've seen. The Moody Blues, Yes, Kansas, ELP, Heart, America, all sounded great. And I've got a Genesis DVD (Live at Wembley) that is fantastic... especially with Tony's collection of toys. However, I saw Steve Winwood on TV several years ago singing "Higher Love" and there weren't any synths onstage--just an organ. Horrors! And several concerts I've seen on YouTube have been "bare bones" when it comes to instruments, especially keyboard sounds. I'm sure most folks that attend these concerts don't care, but an abbreviated guitar part and/or synth lines with sounds that aren't even close to the original bring down the quality of the song for me. OK, I'm too picky... rant over.

As you were. :laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Going to see Earth Wind and Fire tomorrow night in L.A. My expectations are always low nowadays. So maybe I will be surprised....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Saw Lyle Lovett and his large band live, last Sunday night. For the past fifteen years that I've seen the act, Lyle consistently puts together a show that matches and often exceeds his recordings. If he comes to your area, definitely try to catch one of Lyle's concerts.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I was just thinking about this tonight--what are your expectations when attending a concert?

I'm going to see "Galactic" finally today if the thunderstorms hold off. It's an outdoor show, rain or shine. If there is no lightning and cold beer I'm good. :cheers:

Those dudes can jam. :keys: And the keyboard player plays a B3. :2thu:

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOZwwerzQ2E

:nopity:

From the time I first saw the Stones live back in the 70's, at their worst when they were so far from the recorded version a tribute band would have been closer, I have accepted that there are so many variables that an act will never sound like the record.

However today I am blown away when some acts, Steely Dan and Brian Wilson come to mind, who sound scarily like the recording on some songs.

Either way I most often came away pleased, the stripped down versions can be alternative takes that are as valid as the original recorded version.

One exception is Clapton, his half speed version of Crossroads just seems lazy and he leaves the heavy lifting now to Derek Trucks and other featured guests like Doyle Bramhall. They are great artists but not what the punters expected when they paid EC prices for the tickets.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I hate seeing an act that makes me think that I should have just stayed at home and listened to the studio recording. Depending on context, I expect to hear the act do something that is new and interesting with their material. Re-orchestrate, change the tempo, go off script,...As long as it's thoughtful and takes some effort, it's valid.

Re-orchestrate, change the tempo, go off script,...As long as it's thoughtful and takes some effort, it's valid.

Yes, that's always interesting and creative. I saw the Eagles do that in a televised concert quite a few years ago. But some shows just miss the mark entirely... especially when the singer forgets the lyrics.

I heard probably the best sounding concert in my life last night, Brit Floyd! Perfect mix, you could hear every instrument clearly, keyboards right up there and the bass guitar was actually a little louder than the kick drum which is how it should be. As other people attending the show said they sounded better than Pink Floyd actually did back in the 1970s. Here's some pics from the concert including the keyboardist's rig. They even did a meet and greet after the show which was really nice considering they had to travel 4 hours to their next show today.

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/Polkahero/006.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/Polkahero/032.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/Polkahero/039.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/Polkahero/043.jpg

http://i967.photobucket.com/albums/ae157/Polkahero/046.jpg

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I like seeing some changeup from the album versions. Some bands play things note for note, which is ok I guess.

I dislike the use of tracks to *make* it note-for-note...but that ship has sailed.

At least if you are going to do that, show some energy. Muse comes to mind, their stuff sounds pretty close to the album, and I think they run some (minor) tracks, but they have fantastic energy and the parts they *do* play are challenging and very well done.

Sometimes bands change it up and I don't care for the result...but they must have thought it was a great idea and probably a lot of others do like it...can't please everyone. Peter Gabriel's live version of Games Without Frontiers comes to mind, I *much* prefer the album version.

I tend to like some spectacle at concerts, since I'm paying a lot :) Both Muse and Peter Gabriel are tops in that area!

As far as sound...most of my concert-going was "back in the day" in standing-room civic centers....can't honestly say I ever heard things very clearly. On the rare occasion I go to a rock concert now (too expensive) I wear lots of hearing protection so it sounds pretty muffled. I saw Tool a few years back and it was very, very loud.

I was just thinking about this tonight--what are your expectations when attending a concert?

Well, at a rock or hiphop show, I expect myself and the rest of the audience to put as much energy into the show as the artist/band.

At a jazz show, it's the interplay between the musicians that has to be there - the more intense that interplay (this doesn't mean LOUD), the more enjoyable is is to be there.

Funny thing about concert production.See your favorite superstar band when they are on top in a stadium gig with the monster PA and production crew and they sound like their superstar album but better. See the same people later in their career in a smaller club or large bar and they sound like your local coverband and sometimes not as good. Same players as before. One exception was Robin Trower. Ive seen him in big places and small and he always sounded bigger than life like a record.

FunMachine.

I try to catch them early or alternatively they're just *good*, so it's been Snarky Puppy for the former and Mike Stern, Scott Henderson, Wayne Krantz, John Scofield and Robben Ford for the latter.

Earth, Wind, and Fire put on a terrific show! I was pleasantly surprised.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Thanks to "YouTube", there are few surprises anymore for those of us who pony up cash for live performances.

The most recent shows I've attended, I had a really good idea what I'd be hearing having already viewed prior shows of the performer-often from the same tour.

For the record, I don't do venues larger than clubs any more; I'm long over being starstruck, by anyone. I believe if you have to look at a screen to see the performer at a given venue-I've got a screen in my home that's already paid for...

My soul hasn't been crushed. Yet. I still have hope going into most shows.

Blessed are those with low expectations, for they shall not be disappointed. :)

Seeing Yes later this month, and ARW in November. It will be interesting to see two different line ups playing similar material. Happy to see Wakeman perform later this year as I thought that was never going to happen again (and I last saw him on the Going for the One tour....)

Korg CX-3 (vintage), Casio Privia PX-5S, Lester K, Behringer Powerplay P2, Shure 215s

http://www.hackjammers.com

will be seeing ARW n November - cant wait !!!

PC1x, Hammond XK1c, Deep Mind 6, MS500 (gig rig)

Kurz PC4, Mini Moog Model D, Little Phatty, Hammond M3, Leslie 145, viscount op-3, Behringer model D, Roland GAIA.. (home studio)

Unexpectedly saw a Depeche Mode tribute called Precious in a little town in southern Italy last week - they did a terrific job, sound system was excellent and the lighting spectacular.

Forgot how much I liked them and the lead vocalist had no hint of an Italian accent which can spoil the accuracy of such bands.

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Thanks to "YouTube", there are few surprises anymore for those of us who pony up cash for live performances.

The most recent shows I've attended, I had a really good idea what I'd be hearing having already viewed prior shows of the performer-often from the same tour.

For the record, I don't do venues larger than clubs any more; I'm long over being starstruck, by anyone. I believe if you have to look at a screen to see the performer at a given venue-I've got a screen in my home that's already paid for...

For the most part, I agree. Some of my favorite shows have been in smaller clubs. Medeski Martin and Wood at a small spot downtown...Kings X several times in a club that my bad might have played (were it still around now)... My biggest regret was not going to see Keith Emerson in a small club (playing newer stuff, can't recall the band name...but still).

That said, seeing the spectacle that was the Secret World Tour by Peter Gabriel in person, that can't be captured on a tv nearly as well. Same goes for stuff like this:

[video:youtube]

(1. I need to get a laser like that and 2. poor keys player doesn't get his own pillar! LOL)

Archived