Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Seeking opinions on legality/ethics re: plugin licenses.

Dr88s

I'm looking to sell my Receptor which is loaded with some lawfully purchased plugins registered to me.

With Muse now having going under, if I remove the plug-ins, it isn't likely than anyone else will necessarily be able to get them up and running on a reinstall.

For those plug-ins where the license allows for two or three computers, I am perfectly happy letting one of those go and keeping the plug-in on the Receptor for the new recipient; do you think that would be unethical or violate the terms of the typical licenses? How's about the same question for a plugin that allows for unlimited installs with the same key?

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Receptor is a PC so same rules apply about selling it with your licenses in tact I would think. On the other hand, people sell PCs loaded all the time, leaving it up to the buyer to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

So, yeah. It's an ethics thing, and an EULA thing. On the other hand your Receptor isn't worth much without the instruments if it's no longer possible to purchase them through the Muse store or direct from the devs. There's nothing neat and tidy about a business failing.

Tough call as you try to recoup some of what you paid for the Receptor to replace with something. The business model of creating a VST platform was a risk... I wonder if they'd have done better if they were selling a whole instrument, PC in a keyboard where you could simply upgrade your motherboard as tech advances.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I believe most (all?) standard EULA's specifically prohibit one license being simultaneously shared by two distinct users. The "multiple installs" provisions I typically see are specifically described for the same user on different devices. The normal exception is the Site License, which typically provides for multiple user installs within a single organization (the purchasing company), which you're not describing.

At least, that's my standard understanding of the typical EULA.

Elmer's correct, as I'm sure you're already concerned about - with Muse's demise, a used Receptor is a dicey purchase without pre-installed plugs. I don't know what the most reasonable thing to do is, and I don't pretend to be in a place to preach software ethics to anyone else. Even my own sons stopped listening to me on this one years ago. LOL

Would contacting the software companies in question be a line of inquiry for you?

Tim

Dude, just sell it and don't worry about it. The world doesn't need you to be the software police . The software company made a sale from you and if the receptor buyer has decent ethics he'll buy a new license. It's not your problem.

FunMachine.

I believe most (all?) standard EULA's specifically prohibit one license being simultaneously shared by two distinct users.

Yeah, that's pretty common. The one notable exception is Synthogy Ivory. Their license prevents resale of the software. I found this out when selling my Receptor on eBay. I was selling it with iLok and all the disks for Lounge Lizard, NI Complete, Ivory, etc. On the last day of the auction, eBay took the auction down because apparently Synthogy, in addition to having an obnoxious software license, also pays people to go trolling for unauthorized sales. I think it's a BS policy and I can tell you I'll never buy another Synthogy product again.

An added amusement: so the Ivory disks came in an envelope sealed with a sticker that said "by breaking this seal you abide by the terms of the license inside." But I never broke the seal. At the time I bought my Receptor I also bought Ivory and Komplete, and paid Muse to install it before shipping it to me. So they installed it and shipped me brand-new unopened software. So I never agreed to any such terms.

I ended up re-listing the Receptor and changed all references to Ivory to Elephant Tusk Piano instead and included a photo of the box and explanation why it couldn't be named in the listing.

Timwat's explanation is consistent with wording of the licenses for Virtual Instruments I have purchased.

As for resale, my understanding is that under EU law licenses must be transferable for all software. Some argue the toss on this. However the resale T&C's I have come across as the original purchaser or transferee are:

As the original purchaser I have the right to deregister and transfer my license. The software vendor will charge the transferor a fee say 15 to process the transfer.

Most licenses allow one transfer only. If the original license was provided free or discounted then it may also be subject to one transfer only, even though the developer may allow multiple transfers of a full price license (Pianoteq for example).

The license conditions for receptorised versions of Virtual Instruments could be different given they were provided for sale on a specific hardware item.

You would need to check each VI.

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

Dude, just sell it and don't worry about it. The world doesn't need you to be the software police . The software company made a sale from you and if the receptor buyer has decent ethics he'll buy a new license. It's not your problem.

Unfortunately, the above is the best bet - if you want to sell the Receptor. I'm all for ethics - especially with regard to intellectual / creative property, but Receptor is a unique product that has been discontinued, with no hands-on tech support remaining. So a wiped Receptor would have little to no value, as getting one up and going from scratch would be rather daunting now.

And as a buyer I'd consider this a gray area as well - considering the resulting challenge of getting new / relicensed software up and running on the product. I'd likely use it as-is, and play it into the ground, as it wouldn't be worth the large amount of time and patience needed to do things completely above board. The Receptor has its own particular in-and-outs, which could be a rabbit hole - even with tech support. And Plugorama is dead in the water.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

When I bought my Receptor used, the ilok eventually failed. I had to contact ilok and they said that I'd need to contact every plugin company and ask them to transfer the license to me. Of course, the ilok customer service was horrible and I never did get a new ilok, thus, never bothered to xfer the licenses over.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Thanks for you input...

On the other hand, people sell PCs loaded all the time, leaving it up to the buyer to reformat the hard drive and start from scratch.

So, yeah. It's an ethics thing, and an EULA thing. On the other hand your Receptor isn't worth much without the instruments if it's no longer possible to purchase them through the Muse store or direct from the devs.

/quote]

I think some people sell PCs with software as a way to make money knowing that the users are buying more for the installed programs than for the actual hardware. That's not my intention at all; when I sell something to someone, I want to make sure it is 100% up to their expectations. If someone buys my Receptor in order to put Kontakt on it, I want to make sure that person will be able to run Kontakt on it.

I believe most (all?) standard EULA's specifically prohibit one license being simultaneously shared by two distinct users. The "multiple installs" provisions I typically see are specifically described for the same user on different devices.

Elmer's correct, as I'm sure you're already concerned about - with Muse's demise, a used Receptor is a dicey purchase without pre-installed plugs. I don't know what the most reasonable thing to do is,

Would contacting the software companies in question be a line of inquiry for you?

I've contacted a few companies; for some, unregistering my license from the Receptor would still allow others to reactivate using a different serial; in that case I could unregister without guilt. It's dicier for other plugins which I know if I get rid of will NEVER be reinstallable.

Ethically I would have a clear conscience selling as is and just re-purchasing anything I wanted to keep.

Me too. If I delete the plugs from all of my other computers or buy a license anew, I'd be essentailly transferring a license ethically.

The license conditions for receptorised versions of Virtual Instruments could be different given they were provided for sale on a specific hardware item.

Not all VIs require Receptorized versions. The vast majority will simple 'copy the .DLL, activate it with a code'.

Good advice to worry less; unfortunately that's not how I was built :)

Receptor is a unique product that has been discontinued, with no hands-on tech support remaining. So a wiped Receptor would have little to no value, as getting one up and going from scratch would be rather daunting now.

And as a buyer I'd consider this a gray area as well - considering the resulting challenge of getting new / relicensed software up and running on the product. I'd likely use it as-is, and play it into the ground, as it wouldn't be worth the large amount of time and patience needed to do things completely above board.

This.

I think in the end it will depend on my buyer, his/her needs and understanding of what is and is not doable, his/her willingness to buy a transferred license, feasibility of reinstalling even now that their support is no longer, etc., and consider things on a case-by-case basis.

Now I just need a buyer! It's stiall a great piece of kit, just has a limited shelf life now.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

Archived