Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any Marshall Code 50 owners?

Baldwin Funster

Did a search found nothing here. Any early adopters of this amp? What I'd like to know is if it will do the loud punchy JCM800 thing . I'm talking about the medium almost low gain of an '85 JCM800 super lead. Any and every demo I've seen wants to show how it can be a buzzmachine like every other amp sold today. Nothing on Utube showing if has balls when you turn the gain down. No I'm not talking plexi, I'm talking the PC board JCM800 100 watters. Inquiring mind wants to know.

FunMachine.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
An educated guess- that may depend as much on the speakers and cab. They don't make a Code 50 head, do they?

Not a 50 but 100 watt head and 100 watt combo. The electronics across the line are supposed to be identical except for the power and speakers. The listed speakers are "custom voiced" . I hope that doesn't mean Celestion vintage 30.

FunMachine.

Well, you could try using the same cab and speakers that would come with the iteration of the JCM800 SL that you're referencing.

I'm just curious- why not just look for a JCM800 SL head and cab, if that's the sound that you want? In all seriousness, what are your specific reasons here? Or a similar enough amp; Ben Fargen makes some great Marshall inspired amps, and I imagine that there must be some turning up on the used market for fair prices...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Well, you could try using the same cab and speakers that would come with the iteration of the JCM800 SL that you're referencing.

I'm just curious- why not just look for a JCM800 SL head and cab, if that's the sound that you want? In all seriousness, what are your specific reasons here? Or a similar enough amp; Ben Fargen makes some great Marshall inspired amps, and I imagine that there must be some turning up on the used market for fair prices...

Cause the code is CHEAP. 250 bux. And under 30 pounds. Plus the volume of a 100 w SL is unworkable. I can't even max out my 20 watt orange crush practice amp in the band I'm in. But the code promises alot. Can it deliver? I don't know .

FunMachine.

No, My doubts are that a $250 modeler will do loud and punchy. The first thing that comes to my mind is the amplifer section will not have enough capacitance to support the bottom end without farting out. You get what you pay for.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

No, My doubts are that a $250 modeler will do loud and punchy. The first thing that comes to my mind is the amplifer section will not have enough capacitance to support the bottom end without farting out. You get what you pay for.

Might have better luck with a Line 6 Spider Valve, as it has a tube output-section. Though those are pretty loud amps, as well... and not cheap.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I have a bad attitude towards line 6 amp. I guess it goes back to the POD. I know a lot of people loved those but they just sounded squashed to me. But I liked the Boss GP20 and recorded tracks that got released on albums with those so I am not against digital modeling. I do miss the power of 375v of plate voltage going through 4 6550s. I don't think the Code can replace that but maybe have a reminiscent flavor?

FunMachine.

Archived