Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any album focused on Hammond organ ballads/slow songs?

This is probably an unusual request. I have heard many jazz and rock albums where the Hammond organ is usually on the forefront of fast, upbeat songs. However, I have only found slower, mellower songs using the Hammond as individual tracks within albums. I am curious if there is an album that is entirely or almost entirely comprised of slower songs and/or ballads on the Hammond. It doesn't have to be a solo organ album. It can be accompanied, but I would like the organ to be at least semi-important in the album.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my money Charles Hodges on the Al Green and Ann Peebles stuff, and Tyrone Downie, who I believe was the player on the live version of "No Woman No Cry" and others on that album. Killer playing from both in a slow and supporting role.....

Check out the group called Niacin! They are excellent and the keyboard player using a Hammond B3 is at the forefront. The song I really like is 'I miss you". Check it out.

Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

yep, they are a 3 piece all star band. John Novello kills on keys. :keys:

Not to mention Billy Sheehan on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums...

Here ya go...

[video:youtube]

And their encore...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

yep, they are a 3 piece all star band. John Novello kills on keys. :keys:

Not to mention Billy Sheehan on bass and Dennis Chambers on drums...

well, I didn't although I knew who the players are. ;)

Dennis is one of my favorite drummers, Check out his work with Barbara Dennerlein if you get a chance. He knows how to work with organ players.

:nopity:

Not the whole album, but I have loved this cut since first hearing it years ago. It's not Hammond focused, but it's slow and the Hammond playing is so soulful, especially in the bridge (around 2:50 or so). Sorry if it's a diversion from the topic, but it's what came to mind when O saw your thread title.

Prominent soulful Hammond on every cut from Zephyr's 1969 debut album also featuring the amazing vocals of Candy Givens and the debut of the great Tommy Bolin on guitar:

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Check out early Procol Harum - lots of great ballads with the Hammond right in the forefront, but not "in your face" if you know what I mean. Typical of that sound, of course, is their most famous song "A Whiter Shade of Pale".

[video:youtube]Mb3iPP-tHdA

Kurzweil PC3, Yamaha MOX8, Alesis Ion, Kawai K3M

Not the whole album, but I have loved this cut since first hearing it years ago. It's not Hammond focused, but it's slow and the Hammond playing is so soulful, especially in the bridge (around 2:50 or so). Sorry if it's a diversion from the topic, but it's what came to mind when O saw your thread title.

Great verision... And here is the original arrangement by the composer Al Kooper.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Jimmy Smith - "Angel Eyes - Ballads And Slow Jams"

GORGEOUS record.

TP

+1

Wow, this album is EXACTLY what I was looking for! It is mellow and masterfully done. Jimmy Smith proves he can play anything, from fast jazzy tunes to very relaxing blues and ballads. I had to buy it immediately. Wish there were more albums like this one.

Kawai MP7SE ::: Yamaha CK-61 ::: Novation Launchkey 61 ::: Roland CM-30 Speaker ::: Ipad Mini 5 with a lot of apps for live playing (Hammond B3-X, PianoTeq 8 iOS, Korg Module, Thumbjam, etc.)

Archived