Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jessica Simpson was just on Letterman...

...and she completely sucked. She was murdering Berlin's "Take My Breath Away." Now, since I'm an old fart who doesn't listen to top 40 radio or watch her silly reality newlywed show, can someone explain the fascination, other than her admittedly bodacious hoohoos? Because it ain't talent, folks. Or is she a Pro Tools baby?

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I saw her on tv recently, and she really blew chunks. It's really astonishing that someone that untalented is considered a star. And she's a complete moron as well. I think her IQ is the same as her body temparature.

And they wonder why the music industry is in a freefall.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

In this industry these days, talent doesn't correlate as it should with popularity. It probably wont for a long time. Jessica Simpson is just another "pop star" and I dont think its too much of a stretch to think she gets most of her popularity from her looks and IQ.

-Zack

When our war for love overcomes our love for war, we will b happy...

-Jimi Hendrix

She's hot, but just an average singer. Wrong song, too. There's a clear reason why she would darn near have nervous breakdowns when she had to audition after Christina Aguilera: she's not even on the same planet vocally.

Oh, and she might be a Logic baby, too. :P

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

She's a much better author than a singer. Read her book proposal here: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/simpbook1.html

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

She's gotta be a better singer than Britney Spears, right?

I actually think that she plays dumb a little bit for the cameras. I also think she'd have a little more common sense had she been brought up in a normal childhood as opposed to being one of those people whose family grooms them for success at a young age. She is gorgeous, though, and the possible upside on a talentless model up on stage singing seems to be enough for record companies to at least take a shot with them. In her case, she stuck.

And c'mon, that postage thing is fricken brilliant! :thu:

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

She ain't THAT good lookin. Isn't she one of the Disney kids? Maybe 16 years old or something....or am I thinking of someone else?

Hillary Duff is better looking -although, they are all blond barbie-types, so there really isn't a huge difference between her and Jessica, Brit, and X-tina. Honestly, they all could have shown up for the same audition.

I agree that in the industry these days, talent doesn't correlate with popularity. But, has it ever? Good looking "created" celebs have always been a big draw. I think it's been the case as long as there has been a Music industry....and it will continue to be case.

Of course, none of this would happen if REAL musicians and song writers didn't whore themselves out for these projects. But then, ya gotta pay the bills somehow.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Jode:

...it ain't talent, folks.

Which reminds me,going down a couple steps down the ladder,I hear Paris Hilton is in the studio hard at work on her debut "CD"!!! :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Yeah, Jessica Simpson went to my high school. Dropped out so she could be a singer.

She came by a couple months ago to perform a concert just for my high school, and I decided what the hell,even though I hate her music. She came out wearing a tie, green pants, and some funky yellow shirt, as well as really pointy shoes.

Completely sucked, I don't think she was even singing half the time,but I was in the nosebleeds where the sound sucked so I'm not sure. She started giving one senior a striptease, and I have no idea what the hell that was all about, but in our school paper everyone was making a big deal about it.

BTW, my history teacher said she had her as a student, and she really is that dumb.

Like her or not, Britney's the definition of a "star". What she lacks in voice :rolleyes: she has everywhere else. The public pays attention to her, if she's half naked or not. Jessica's looks don't make up for the fact that she doesn't really have that X-Factor. Nobody really cared about her until the show and all its ditsy moments. I never heard any of her stuff on the radio until now, post that show. That's my .02.

Peace

Originally posted by guitar geezer:

Originally posted by allen walton:

Yeah, Jessica Simpson went to my high school. Dropped out so she could be a singer.

Did Not Know That....

JJ PIerce or Rich High?

< Old Oak Cliff, Dallas,Plano Dude>

LynnG

Haha, thats cool. I go to JJ Pearce, finally adding on so that 9th graders won't have to be at the junior highs.

After reading this post this morning she just happened to be on Live with Regis and Kelly, not bad. She doesn't have a soaring voice and the arrangement on YTMBA is drier than the original, no reverb or that bow-bow-bow-bow-bow bassline. BTW, was that a synth or a fretless with effects on Berlin's rendition?

Steve

You shouldn't chase after the past or pin your hopes on the future.

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Like her or not, Britney's the definition of a "star". What she lacks in voice :rolleyes: she has everywhere else. The public pays attention to her

The public pays attention to Brittney because they have no choice,she's rammed down eveyones throat.You could probably take "any" girl out of any mall in the US and throw some $$$ behind her and create another one.i see absolutley no difference in Jessica or Brittney except for the fact that Jessica has a TV show.Now,when is Paris Hilton with her artistic statement coming out?

Originally posted by Alndln FX-51:

The public pays attention to Brittney because they have no choice,she's rammed down eveyones throat.You could probably take "any" girl out of any mall in the US and throw some $$$ behind her and create another one.i see absolutley no difference in Jessica or Brittney except for the fact that Jessica has a TV show.Now,when is Paris Hilton with her artistic statement coming out?
In a sense, I respectfully disagree. If that was the case, then there would be another Britney. Yes, she is totally rammed down our throats, but so are a bunch of other people in entertainment. That's just the way it is lately. It may not be us, but there are plenty of people (young folk) who DO want to hear about her all the time.

I know the guy who's credited with "discovering" Britney, and he has a new act that he's been trying to shop for years. She is that mall girl. She looks better than Britney, and she sings better than Britney. She was signed to a major, but dropped because the guy couldn't deliver that one "radio ready" hit. So it's not that easy. The stars aligning, the right pop songs, and everything else can be attributed to Britney's success. If that's not the case, then Mandy, Jessica, and everyone else should be just as big by now.

Peace

Originally posted by Alndln FX-51:

Originally posted by aliengroover:

Like her or not, Britney's the definition of a "star". What she lacks in voice :rolleyes: she has everywhere else. The public pays attention to her

Have you learned nothing from William Hung? You can't take just anyone out of a mall and make them a star. And why would you want to? Record companies have to show an immediate return on investment with new talent. THey have to be already or almost capable of doing exactly what you need, to lessen the investment dollars. The hotbed for new talent is not, and will never be Orange Julias.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

You can't take just anyone out of a mall and make them a star.

Uhh...they already have,plenty of times.One of them is Brittney.She was the one who happen to land on the bulls eye when the rec. exec threw a handfull of darts,....err..... mall rats I mean.

Archived