Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Purgatorycreek Rhodes download link dead?

TomKittel

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes you need to go to Korg Sound Libraries and look for Purgatory Creek and you will find the Eps. where i stated above. You are right that link does not work. If i remember correctly he updated them. EX 41 Mark V 1984. Check out the Mark 1 also they are my favorite. All free

Kronos Sound Libraries

Thanks Tom yes the link to the freeware/donation-ware Mark V for Kontakt is down and will remain so. I am in the process of revamping the Mark V and most of my other electro-mechanical sample libraries with the goal of making them available in Kontakt format for a very reasonable price.

Plans include:

Tine Collection

Sparkletop (1965)

Mark I (1975)

Mark II (1980)

Mark V (1984)

Reed Collection

Wurly 200a

Wurly 140b

Pianet N

Pianet T

And eventually a string collection with clavinets and a CP70b. The instruments will be available separately but the collections will have the most value. I'm working on both the creation of the instruments in Kontakt format as well as getting the website ready for paying customers.

Hopefully ready in 4-6 weeks.

Busch.

Hi Busch,

Nice clean good looking UI. And trust the commercial venture goes well for you.

Out of curiosity is there a lot of work for you as a developer to have these run as VST's and AU's or is most of the platform compatibility taken care of by Kontakt?

A misguided plumber attempting to entertain | MainStage 3 | Axiom 61 2nd Gen | Pianoteq | B5 | XK3c | EV ZLX 12P

I'm curious, Busch, do you feel like the offerings for the Kronos (which I have) sound better, or will those for the Kontakt (which I also use)? I'm curious because I've been thinking about ditching my Kronos and just going all VSTs, including Kontakt, but I don't know if EPs, organs, Ivory piano, etc., sound "better" on Kronos or with VSTs.

Thanks gang,

I'll try to answer all the questions but I'm going to do it in batch.

Mac/Windows makes no difference in Kontakt. That's one great thing about it. Very cross platform. I own both so I will check on both but only slight installation differences are what I'm expecting.

The Kontakt vs. Kronos is an interesting question. About Kontakt, some things are great. For example at the zone (which is the container for the sample) you can create detailed, multistep envelopes for each on. Great for samples that need some tweaking. But Kontakt does have a good number of frustrating aspects. For one the built-in FXs are pretty generic. There's a phaser, flanger and chorus and a few amp sims. They have a few basic parameters so they really can't be programmed for much variety or to emulate vintage FXs. On the Kronos, for phasers alone you have emulations of the Small Stone, MXR-90, t.c. electronic, bi-phase and then some generic phasers. Big difference. Same goes for all the other FXs. Kontakt doesn't have a tremolo or auto pan FX, so you have to use an LFO to modulate volume or pan. No big deal, is it? Well it actually is. The LFO is not a system LFO. It is set at the group level which means if you apply LFOs to pan in both sustain and release sample groups, they'll be out of sync. That's not what you're after. I created a workaround but this is really a pretty big omission not have system LFO options, or better yet a tremolo/autopan FX. I use the bass amp sims on the Kronos a lot for tonal variation. They work well with the EPs. You really have no equivalent in Kontakt. In the end, my EPs in Kontakt are going to sound more generic than on the Kronos where you can bring a lot of tonal variation to play at the Program level. Now if you have VKFX, that is going to get you some excellent keyboard specific FXs and really should be part of everyones collection. All said and done, I really love the Kronos. It's an exceptional keyboard. There's nothing like it and I'm very happy with how my EPs sound on it.

Regarding Kontakt Player. This is not so easy as it requires entering into a business relationship with NI. They are going to be responsible for the licensing of the instruments and of course take a cut. I inquired, but never signed the NDA so I never got the details (which I couldn't tell you about anyway as they'd be under NDA). But I believe you purchase serial numbers in bulk + setup fees, meaning you're going to be negative many $1,000s of dollars before you sell anything. Obviously this is going to up to the cost in a pretty meaningful way. So instead I opted to go with requiring the full Kontakt sampler and eliminate the above. My goal is to sell these as inexpensive as I can.

Thanks for all the kind words. In a crowded marketplace I think these will still offer some nice options for people.

Busch.

Hi Busch

Glad to hear about the new release coming. I use the Mark V version for both Kontakt and Kronos. One of my favorites. I will be a customer when you release the new version.

With the Forte now loading samples have you considered creating a version for that?

Hi Busch

Glad to hear about the new release coming. I use the Mark V version for both Kontakt and Kronos. One of my favorites. I will be a customer when you release the new version.

With the Forte now loading samples have you considered creating a version for that?

Thanks. Yes I am definitely looking into the Forte. I need to ask Mr. Weiser a few questions. Right now I need to finish up the Kontakt instruments and get the website ready.

Busch.

• 1 month later...

I could use a few people to beta test either/both the Tine Collection and Reed Collection. You will need either the last version of Kontakt 4 (4.2.4) or any rev of Kontakt 5. This need to be the full Kontakt sampler, not the Player. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Busch.

• 11 months later...

Just finished listening through the samples.

Busch, you've captured what I think of when I think of Rhodes - that Mark I in particular sounds just like mine. What did you use for amplification (if we can ask)?

Also nice work on the graphics for the UI. Not sure if those are from scratch or part of Kontakt development kit, but the look is very clean and retro and love the fonts.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I purchased these Purgatory Creek sounds for my Kurzweil Forte and they sound fantastic. The detail on these are my "Nord Killer" sounds for sure.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Thanks guys!

The Mark I was recorded straight from the harp. That's how I've been recording most of my Rhodes but I'm rethinking that moving forward. All the graphics were done by me as well as the scripting, though I did borrowed a few snippets from NI. The NI stuff is quite a bit of work. Makes me appreciate the Kronos and Forte where I can bring in the samples and then work on the sound and variations.

Busch.

It sounds really good like this, and quiet.

I get a great sound through my modified Fender PA-135.

But sampling it is tricky as I do get tube hiss when mic'ing the speaker.

Ioztope RX is exceptional for noise reduction. If you give it a good noise profile, it can seemingly work miracles. There is a point where it's beyond hope, but for common hiss and buzzing you can go deep without impacting tone.

Also, as I don't have a pro studio available with quiet power I found it best to record off the electrical grid. So I use a MacBook Pro on battery, bus-powered Apogee Duet and battery/phantom powered Countryman DI. The drop in noise/buzz when switching to battery on the MBP is significant. With units like a Stage Rhodes, Clavinet or Pianet T they're not on the grid either. I could spend a bunch of money trying to get my power this clean but this solution works just fine. I have more expensive DIs/preamps available (that require AC) but they don't get me anything more than this basic setup.

Busch.

Archived